sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

Post by not_vali » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:20:40

        It is 38 months now. And I still do not use linux on the
internet as noone has posted any information at all. Well, I telnet in
sometimes, but have you ever tried reading newsgroups on telnet ?
Formatting the replies under vi is also a pain in the a*
        I run sendmail 8.93 as an open relay spammers welcome I
suppose.
        Installed procmail. The latest. After reading in the docs that
it is infallible, so there is NO need to read the docs, I get "error
64 root does not have a valid shell account ". Google brought 8
suggestions, none of which worked. I made a lot of home directories
world browserable, as per procmail FAQ, and as people keep reminders
of file contents in file names as a reminder, I had to reinstall. Bl*
awful security.
        Well ...lets check my invalid shell
echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
am i paranoid or has microsoft bought off most linux developers ?

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:40:01

>    It is 38 months now. And I still do not use linux on the
> internet as noone has posted any information at all. Well, I telnet in
> sometimes, but have you ever tried reading newsgroups on telnet ?
> Formatting the replies under vi is also a pain in the a*
>    I run sendmail 8.93 as an open relay spammers welcome I
> suppose.
>    Installed procmail. The latest. After reading in the docs that
> it is infallible, so there is NO need to read the docs, I get "error
> 64 root does not have a valid shell account ". Google brought 8
> suggestions, none of which worked. I made a lot of home directories
> world browserable, as per procmail FAQ, and as people keep reminders
> of file contents in file names as a reminder, I had to reinstall. Bl*
> awful security.
>    Well ...lets check my invalid shell
> echo $SHELL
> /bin/bash
> am i paranoid or has microsoft bought off most linux developers ?

You're confused. Note likely sources of trouble.

>>Hi all,
>>        I have been trying for 30 months to set up a simple
>>sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt combination, for use on a home dialup
>>network.
>>        I set up the windows equivalent after reading 5 minutes of
>>text, resuming, I clicked setup in mailwarrior or pegasus or eudora,
>>and entered the name of my smtp and pop server, and that was it.
>>        But I don't want to read mail under windows, as I can never
>>trust the binaries. It is essential that the programs be compiled from
>>source code. Which was what I thought linux was all about.
>>        I have asked the same question here every 6 months, and have
>>not had a single helpful answer yet :(
>>        My system is completely built from source code, and I had to
>>reinstall from scratch various times after sendmail/exim/others fsckd
>>up with my system - a very painful experience , takes about 2 weeks. I
>>now have a tarred base version of my system on CD, so I just do a
>>mke2fs from a rescue floppy and untar my system back again .

You are basically insane, although in a good way. Do not build from
scratch unless you have a *lot* of time on your hands, which you
apparently do.

Did you set /etc/shells to list "/bin/bash" as a valid shell? And try to
stay a bit *behind* the bleeding edge for new packages, and actually
read the docs. Not reading them is not a proof of how cool and smart you
are, it's a proof that you're a silly, silly person.

Quote:>>        So here comes my six-monthly question :
>>        Can anyone point me to a sendmail/procmail/fetchmail/mutt
>>HOWTO, FROM SOURCE CODE !!!! Please do not suggest 1000 page books or
>>FAQS, or obsolete versions. I just want to do, say, in 8 hours, what
>>windows took me 5 minutes to do.

>>        Here I go, :wq vim, killing mp3blaster (oK, lets finish
>>hearing "tears in heaven" first), unmounting filesystems, rebooting,
>>firing up agent, just to send this message (yes, slrn uses
>>sendmail).....is linux viable ????

Sendmail is a non-trivial and rather arcane package. I urge the O'Reilly
book *and the docs*, and starting from a working package and tweaking
from *that* instead of building from scratch. Rebuild the package if you
want, but getting all the potential options to play nice together is
like forging your own motorcycle from iron and aluminum more. You *will*
make mistakes....

Post by lcoe » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:11:44

>>        It is 38 months now. And I still do not use linux on the
>> internet as noone has posted any information at all. Well, I telnet in
>> sometimes, but have you ever tried reading newsgroups on telnet ?
>> Formatting the replies under vi is also a pain in the a*
>>        I run sendmail 8.93 as an open relay spammers welcome I
>> suppose.
>>        Installed procmail. The latest. After reading in the docs that
>> it is infallible, so there is NO need to read the docs, I get "error
>> 64 root does not have a valid shell account ". Google brought 8
>> suggestions, none of which worked. I made a lot of home directories
>> world browserable, as per procmail FAQ, and as people keep reminders
>> of file contents in file names as a reminder, I had to reinstall. Bl*
>> awful security.
>>        Well ...lets check my invalid shell
>> echo $SHELL
>> /bin/bash
>> am i paranoid or has microsoft bought off most linux developers ?
> You're confused. Note likely sources of trouble.

shuuuush, do not feed the troll......     --Loren

1. sendmail/fetchmail/procmail/mutt from source

[...]

2. Starting Linux without having to type 'startx'?

3. fetchmail/procmail/postfix/cyrus-imap problem

4. All at&t nets?

5. fetchmail, sendmail and procmail with Freenetname ISP.

6. User account w/o login

7. Mutt (and procmail, fetchmail, sendmail...)

8. JP15 on the Netra T1 motherboard.

9. mail setup? - fetchmail, sendmail, procmail, imap, netscape

10. newbie email-Q, please help: Linux,POP3,fetchmail,sendmail,hostname,FQDN?????

11. llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

12. P L, PPCQAU7HGUTGG..........................VCCCCCCCCCCCCC AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN777777777777777RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

13. TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT