Redhat installation hangs

Post by Warre » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I am attempting to install Redhat 5.2 on my home PC. When I boot from
the CDROM
I press enter to start the installation, and the welcome message is
displayed. I hit OK to proceed to language selection and again hit OK to
select
the default English. I then get the keyboard set up, and hit OK to
select US.
The screen then clears and nothing else happens. I can switch between
all of the
virtual consoles EXCEPT Alt-f2 (the shell) which does nothing
(worrying!). I can see
no obvious error message in either of the log windows (unless something
has scrolled
off the top. Can I scroll the shell back down to see it all ??).

Anyway, I tried booting with "expert" mode, but it seemed identical -
same messages,
same hang.

I suspect it is some kind of autoprobing problem, but I don't seem to be
able to
track it down. I removed all cards except the VGA (even tried another
one of those).
Any help would be appreciated.

My system is as follows...

686MX PR300, 64Mb, Quantum Fireball SE2.1A, STB Velocity 128 video card,

AOpen AP5T motherboard.

Many Thanks

Warren

Redhat installation hangs

Post by Jay » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi Warren,
I had the same problem when I ran the installation disk from my CD-DVD
drive. I think it might have been to fast because when I change to my
CD-ROM writer which only reads at 6x, it worked fine. I'm not an expert
on this though. Just thought I'd let you know.  Does you CD freeze as if
it was searching for something?

Jay.

Quote:>Hello,

>I am attempting to install Redhat 5.2 on my home PC. When I boot from
>the CDROM
>I press enter to start the installation, and the welcome message is
>displayed. I hit OK to proceed to language selection and again hit OK
>select
>the default English. I then get the keyboard set up, and hit OK to
>select US.
>The screen then clears and nothing else happens. I can switch between
>all of the
>virtual consoles EXCEPT Alt-f2 (the shell) which does nothing
>(worrying!). I can see
>no obvious error message in either of the log windows (unless something
>has scrolled
>off the top. Can I scroll the shell back down to see it all ??).

>Anyway, I tried booting with "expert" mode, but it seemed identical -
>same messages,
>same hang.

>I suspect it is some kind of autoprobing problem, but I don't seem to
be
>able to
>track it down. I removed all cards except the VGA (even tried another
>one of those).
>Any help would be appreciated.

>My system is as follows...

>686MX PR300, 64Mb, Quantum Fireball SE2.1A, STB Velocity 128 video
card,

>AOpen AP5T motherboard.

>Many Thanks

>Warren

Redhat installation hangs

Post by Warre » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, even if I boot from a floppy with the
CDROM disconnected, I get the same behaviour.

I have tried disconnecting the hard drive, CDROM, all PCI/ISA cards (except
the VGA card), and disabling all on board ports. I have also fiddled with
BIOS DRAM timings etc, and tried underclocking the CPU. It still hangs. Doh!

This is driving me nuts. Unfortunately, I am ready to give up on Linux :(

Warren

> Hi Warren,
> I had the same problem when I ran the installation disk from my CD-DVD
> drive. I think it might have been to fast because when I change to my
> CD-ROM writer which only reads at 6x, it worked fine. I'm not an expert
> on this though. Just thought I'd let you know.  Does you CD freeze as if
> it was searching for something?

> Jay.

> >Hello,

> >I am attempting to install Redhat 5.2 on my home PC. When I boot from
> >the CDROM
> >I press enter to start the installation, and the welcome message is
> >displayed. I hit OK to proceed to language selection and again hit OK
> >select
> >the default English. I then get the keyboard set up, and hit OK to
> >select US.
> >The screen then clears and nothing else happens. I can switch between
> >all of the
> >virtual consoles EXCEPT Alt-f2 (the shell) which does nothing
> >(worrying!). I can see
> >no obvious error message in either of the log windows (unless something
> >has scrolled
> >off the top. Can I scroll the shell back down to see it all ??).

> >Anyway, I tried booting with "expert" mode, but it seemed identical -
> >same messages,
> >same hang.

> >I suspect it is some kind of autoprobing problem, but I don't seem to
> be
> >able to
> >track it down. I removed all cards except the VGA (even tried another
> >one of those).
> >Any help would be appreciated.

> >My system is as follows...

> >686MX PR300, 64Mb, Quantum Fireball SE2.1A, STB Velocity 128 video
> card,

> >AOpen AP5T motherboard.

> >Many Thanks

> >Warren

1. Redhat installation hangs

: I am using Redhat.exe from the Redhad distribution CD to install Linux
: on my system.

: The system is using a Pro-Audio Spectrum 16 with a Samsung SCSI CD-ROM
: dirve installing onto a 300Meg IDE drive.

: Linux installation seems fine at the very beginning with it finding
: the SCSI CD drive.  The CD drive led has activity for about 10 seconds
: then just hangs there.

: The last message on the sceen reads:
:       VFS: Mounted root (iso9660 filesystem) readonly.

: Can anyone help with my 1st installation of Linux?

: TIA
:
: Richard Wun

: http://www.ktb.net/~rwun/

I am having similar problems with a Sanyo CRD-250S attached to a Media
Vision sound card via a SCSI interface that Win 95 identifies as a
Future Domain TMC-850.

I did not get as far as trying to actually install LINUX on my hard
disk.  Instead, I was using a Red Hat Live File System CD (ver 2.1) to
test compatibility of my CD-ROM, which test was failed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.--Frank Norman

2. htpasswd typo broke secure access

3. EZ-drive and Redhat Installation hangs?

4. Can't load libXmu.so.6

5. Installation of RedHat 6.1 hangs

6. Remove unwanted files

7. Redhat 3.0.3 - FTP Installation Hangs...

8. KernelConf

9. Hang at Redhat 6.1 Installation

10. RedHat 6.2 installation hangs

11. hang in REDHAT installation

12. RedHat 7.1 Installation hangs

13. installation hangs (both X and redhat)