Access to DOS partition on the second drive

Access to DOS partition on the second drive

Post by Dmitri Litvintse » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I may expect that the following might sound pretty stupid, pardon my
ignorance...

Is it possible at all to boot into DOS partition  resided on the second
HD?
That is I have linux partition on /dev/hda  and DOS partition on
/dev/hdc.
I'm using LILO.  I can (of course) boot into Linux but not into DOS.

thankx,
Dmitri Litvintsev

Post by steve.. » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Is it possible at all to boot into DOS partition  resided on the second
> HD?
> That is I have linux partition on /dev/hda  and DOS partition on
> /dev/hdc.
> I'm using LILO.  I can (of course) boot into Linux but not into DOS.

If your BIOS can see the disks on the second IDE controller, you
should be able to extrapolate the information at
http://www.wwnet.com/~stevelim/booting.html to do what you want.

--
 Steve Limkemann      ::  A microsecond here and a microsecond there, and
 Westland, Michigan   ::  before you know it, you're talking real-time.

Access to DOS partition on the second drive

Post by Neil Kooze » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Is it possible at all to boot into DOS partition  resided on the second
> HD?
> That is I have linux partition on /dev/hda  and DOS partition on
> /dev/hdc.
> I'm using LILO.  I can (of course) boot into Linux but not into DOS.

Most bios's can't access /dev/hdc at boot time.  If this is the case with
your bios, see if you can move the second hd to the slave position on the
first interface.  This probably means moving the cdrom to the second
interface.

Then you will need a section like this in lilo.conf:

other = /dev/hdb1
  label = dos
  map-drive = 0x80
    to = 0x81
  map-drive = 0x81
    to = 0x80
  table = /dev/hdb

If you bios can access hdc, I presume 0x82 can be used in place of 0x81 in
the above lines.

Neil.

1. LILO 0.15/creating two bootable dos partitions on the same drive

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to have
two bootable dos partitions on the same disk?
The problem I am running into is as follows:

/dev/hda1 dos1
/dev/hda2 dos2
/dev/hdb1 linux
/dev/hdb2 linux swap

1)  dos1 will boot if the active flag  is set for hda1 and
    the active flag for hda2 is set or unset

2)  dos2 will only boot if the active flag for hda1 is unset
    and the active flag for hda2 is set

3)  linux has no problem booting in either of these situations

Is there anyway to set the active flag during boot time through
lilo (or something) or
is my only possible solution to separate the dos partitions
onto separate drives. If the active flag is set for both hda1
and hda2 and I try to boot dos2 the system hangs; it gets past
the lilo prompt but hags during the  "starting MSDOS . . ."
message (I think its having problems determining what logical
drives there are, i.e., what's c, what's d.

Thanks,
Charlie Chen

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: LILO 0.15 and two bootable dos partitions on same disk

[...]

2. Using Sprint PCS from my Linux laptop

3. Is DOS still limited to two partitions/drive

4. Changing FPanel behaviour

5. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

6. nat and pptp

7. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

8. Modem IRQ Help??

9. Creating second primary dos partition with linux

10. Two DOS PRIMARY Partitions

11. booting a DOS partition on the second hard disk under RedHat

12. second dos partition ?

13. DOS partition on second disk