Auto-detection of Cd-rom!?

Post by David Sauv » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Is there anyway to force detection of a ATAPI/IDE cd-rom or to disable the
auto-detection of all other types?  I find that the numerous error messages
a boot-up are extremely annoying will kerneld tries to find the right
module for my cd-rom when it's empty. (There are no errors if there is a
disk in it)

David Sauve

         - He was a wise man who invented God -
                                                 Plato

Auto-detection of Cd-rom!?

Post by Dan Kardel » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Make sure you installed the Kernel from package Q of the slakware.  This
has the ATAPI support in it!

> > Is there anyway to force detection of a ATAPI/IDE cd-rom or to disable the
> > auto-detection of all other types?  I find that the numerous error messages
> > a boot-up are extremely annoying will kerneld tries to find the right
> > module for my cd-rom when it's empty. (There are no errors if there is a
> > disk in it)

> When Linux boot it go though instruction in scripts like autoexec.bat in
> DOS. These files are in /etc/rc.d directory. The checking of cd-rom is
> in "rc.M" file.

> --
> Yon Han Chong                     |
> Flow Control and Prediction Group | Tel: + 44 1234 750 111 ext.5356
> Cranfield College of Aeronautics  | Fax: + 44 1234 752 149

> United Kingdom                    |

Auto-detection of Cd-rom!?

--

My LILO configuration file looks like this

/etc/lilo.conf:

[stuff deleted]

# Linux bootable partition config begins
 image = /vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda3
  label = linux
  APPEND = "sbpcd=0x320,LaserMate"
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for
checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends

Try to add an APPEND statement that will automatically choose your
CD for you.

JL
"I don't know how to say this,
so I'm just going to spit it out....."

Auto-detection of Cd-rom!?

Post by Martin H » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there anyway to force detection of a ATAPI/IDE cd-rom or to disable the
> auto-detection of all other types?  I find that the numerous error messages
> a boot-up are extremely annoying will kerneld tries to find the right
> module for my cd-rom when it's empty. (There are no errors if there is a
> disk in it)

Build a kernel that matches your hardware, see the HOWTO

--
Martin How

1. How to auto-mount 2nd CD-ROM/CD-RW?

Hi, there,
I just installed Redhat 6.1. My system has a SCSI
CD-ROM and a SCSI CD-RW. Linux detects both during bootup.
I can see there is /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1.
I am using GNOME and it can auto mount the CD I placed in
the CD-ROM.
Is there a way that I can setup GNOME to do the same when
I place a CD in the CD-RW?
Thanks!
--
Regards,
Roger Shum

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Creating RPM package for install

3. LILO vs LOADLIN (and CD-ROM detection)

4. Src for XFractint?

5. Geode MediaGX CD-ROM detection problem

6. WANTED:Pentium MB Compat. List

7. Another ATAPI CD-Rom Detection Problem

8. Need to find driver for IDE PCI card, Teckram 690CD

9. CD-ROM detection

10. CD-ROM drive detection

11. CD-ROM Detection during install

12. CD-ROM via PCMCIA (how can I stop automatic detection at boot-time?)

13. 2.6 x86 CD-ROM detection problem