DEC Alpha w/ Red Hat Linux

Post by John Waterlan » Sun, 31 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I do not have an Alpha, but I'm starting to look for
> one. I too am interested in a newsgroup of Linux-Alpha
> users, so I can figure out if it is
> a) fast
> b) as easy as intel+linux
> c) what "cheap" alphas exist

Same here..i have a linux box which is run by a pentium cpu..but i am
thinking about an alpha..
could anyone point me in the direction of some information?

Pete.

1. DEC Alpha w/ Red Hat Linux

    LW> Hi, I do not have an Alpha, but I'm starting to look for
    LW> one. I too am interested in a newsgroup of Linux-Alpha users,
    LW> so I can figure out if it is fast as easy as intel+linux what
    LW> "cheap" alphas exist

You might want to try comp.os.linux.alpha.  It was created in July,
but some servers (still!!) don't have it yet.  You can use DejaNews to
read from and post to it if your news server doesn't have it.

FYI, the Multia's are nice little machines to start out with, but I
quickly out grew mine.  They are also very old (+2 years) and hard to
find now that Digital has discontinued them.  I think the current
entry-level machine is an AlphaStation 200 4/166 (~$2K, but check
around; I'm probably way off).  I've also had great success with DCG
Computers, Inc. (http://www.dcginc.com).  Mr. Gaudet is very helpful.

(I run NT, Linux, and OpenBSD on my AlphaStation 200 4/233.)

--
Xenophon Fenderson, the Carbon(d)ated, Discordian Episkopos of Ambidextrous
Thinking, SubGenius-Wannabe, Patron Saint of All Things Plastic fnord, Member

2. Constant Data Exhibits Constant Replicator 2.1 for Linux on IBMs

3. g77 problems with Red Hat Linux v.5.2 for dec alpha

4. DHCP configuration question

5. Red Hat Linux & Dec Alpha

6. where can find gFTP Solaris package ??

7. Red Hat Linux 4.0 for DEC Alpha FS

8. Still can't get X running on HP Omnibook 6100

9. The Official Red Hat Linux 5.0 (for DEC Alpha computers) (Melbourne, Australia)

10. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

11. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

12. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL