Real Media Player G2

Post by Eric McCra » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

anyone get this to work w/ Redhat 6.0? and
how please. i installed the
rpm, but cant figure out how to run it or
configure it. Please help.

Real Media Player G2

Post by hudin » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> anyone get this to work w/ Redhat 6.0? and
> how please. i installed the
> rpm, but cant figure out how to run it or
> configure it. Please help.

I did it with the tarball... just read the installation instructions.
Easy.  Fast.

RPMS are lame.  Someone else is telling you how the binaries should be
compiled.

Real Media Player G2

Post by Mirce » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It only works with libstdc++-2.8.0-14, the one that comes with RedHat
5.2, no other version of the library will do :( I run Slackware 4.0,
and, unfortunately, when I installed this library over the standard one
in my distribution, it broke a lot of progs. Eventually, I went back to
the original one, and here's how I got RP-G2 work (it should work in RH
as well as in Slack):

Get the .bin file, not the rpm. Make a directory, say,
/usr/local/RealPlayerG2 (it's the directory that will get crested anyway
during the install) and put your g2a1_linux22.bin file there. Put in the
same directory the libstdc++-2.8.0 from RH5.2, and make a symbolic link
to it: ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayG2/libstdc++.so.2.8.0
/usr/local/RealPlayG2/libstdc++.so.2.8

Make a shell script that you'll use to install (of course, don't forget
to set the executable permission on the script:):

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/RealPlayerG2
/usr/local/RealPlayerG2/g2a1_linux22.bin

And run this. It should install OK. Now, to run the player, go to the
install directory, rename the realplay executable to something like
realplaybin, and write another shell script to run the program (you'll
name this "realplay", and set the permissions, of course):

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/RealPlayerG2
/usr/local/RealPlayerG2/realplaybin

And you're set!

MST

> anyone get this to work w/ Redhat 6.0? and
> how please. i installed the
> rpm, but cant figure out how to run it or
> configure it. Please help.

Real Media Player G2

Post by Charles E Taylor » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[Installing Realplayer]

Quote:> I did it with the tarball... just read the installation instructions.
> Easy.  Fast.
> RPMS are lame.  Someone else is telling you how the binaries should be
> compiled.

Earth to "hudini" ... that tarball you installed contained binaries
that someone else compiled too.

Besides, if you're not gonna *use* the package management, you should
be using Slackware, not Redhat. :)

Visit me on the web!
http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu