NFS hang up

Post by Simon Moncea » Thu, 16 May 2002 23:04:18

Hi,

My Linux (Kernel 2.4.18) mount /home from AIX 4.2.1. Before i changed
this linux, the old host mount /home without problems, but now
regularly, the nfs mount is blocked during 21 seconds, especially when i
try to copy a file from everywhere (/tmp for exemple) to /home (the nfs
mounted partition). In /var/log/messages, we can see :

May 15 15:33:54 foo1 kernel: nfs: server foo2 not responding, still trying
:
May 15 15:34:15 foo1 kernel: nfs: server foo2 OK

I do not think that the AIX host is involve as the old host under linux
(redhat 7.1) worked perfectly. i can notice that rpciod is in the top
when NFS mount is blocked. Here is my entry in /etc/fstab :
foo2:/home /home nfs exec,dev,suid,rw 1 1

The Linux host is An Athlon 1700+ with Abit KR7A-R Motherboard.

In which direction do have I to seek?
Thank you for all suggestions on this.

S.

NFS hang up

Post by Craig Kelle » Fri, 17 May 2002 00:41:14

> Hi,

> My Linux (Kernel 2.4.18) mount /home from AIX 4.2.1. Before i changed
> this linux, the old host mount /home without problems, but now
> regularly, the nfs mount is blocked during 21 seconds, especially when i
> try to copy a file from everywhere (/tmp for exemple) to /home (the nfs
> mounted partition). In /var/log/messages, we can see :

> May 15 15:33:54 foo1 kernel: nfs: server foo2 not responding, still trying
>:
> May 15 15:34:15 foo1 kernel: nfs: server foo2 OK

> I do not think that the AIX host is involve as the old host under linux
> (redhat 7.1) worked perfectly. i can notice that rpciod is in the top
> when NFS mount is blocked. Here is my entry in /etc/fstab :
> foo2:/home /home nfs exec,dev,suid,rw 1 1

> The Linux host is An Athlon 1700+ with Abit KR7A-R Motherboard.

> In which direction do have I to seek?
> Thank you for all suggestions on this.

Try this first (from Linux, of course):

  mount -t nfs -o rsize=1024,wsize=1024,timeo=10 aixbox:/path

--

protected from being read by the DMCA and all other WIPO treaty nations.

1. NFS Hang Ups

Hello People,
I have a fresh Mandrake 8.1 installation and I am having some serious
issues.  I've used linux for 9 years now, so I would like to not think
of myself as incompitent, so I will try and give you as much
information as I can to see if anyone can help with this problem.

I have a fresh Mandrake 8.1 somewhat custom installation on a Dell
Optiplex GX1
(PII-550 with 128mb SDRAM, 6gb Hard Drive partitioned into 3
partitions).  The Swap Partition resides at the end of the hard drive
(500mb).  The other two partitions  (3gb as / and 3gb as /extra) are
being used as reiserfs partitions.  I am using XFree86 4.1.1 with a
Rage Pro 3d (4mb) card.  Using a 3c905b ethernet adapter as well.  All
this is using the 2.4.8 kernel.

I am using NIS to map my passwd, shadow, auto.* files, and a few other
files
from my NIS server (also running Mandrake 8.1).  My IP Information is
coming from a DHCP server and seems to be getting the correct
information for Name Servers, Gateway, Subnet Mask and IP Address.  I
also use NFS and Autofs to mount my home directory.

OK, so the problem.  I log in through X, run windowmaker from my
account through autofs/nfs, so my windowmaker executables reside in my
home directory.  After a few minutes I'll start seeing some delays
while doing file lists (ls) in rxvt.  It'll hang loading programs like
kmail, konqueror, opera, kword, rxvt, or even while compiling in rxvt
(the compile will hang).  Eventually it will hang so bad that I can
enter no keystrokes or mouse movements to X.  Sometimes hanging for 5
to 15 minutes.

I thought this was an X problem, BUT, I can go to a virutal console,
log in as root and try to cd to my home directory (cd /home/homedir).
No dice, it will hang indefinately (or for long periods of time that I
am not willing to sit through).  The weird thing here is, I can cd to
other user's home directories that are brought over from the same
files through NIS and used by autofs.  These very same users who have
home directories that are being moutned from the same server as mine.

I've checked the log files (syslog, messages, etc) with no useful
information to be gained.  Actually, nothing for this is being logged.
 No timeouts, no errors for NFS or Autofs.  There are also no errors
in the server's logs where my machine is pulling the NIS information
or from the machine that my home directory resides.

I've tried swapping out NIC's and video cards with no resolution to
the problem.  I'm running out of things to try.  Can anyone think of
anything I may have
skipped?

Thanks hopefully!

Adam Oldham
Software Engineer - Marconi Commerce

2. Can not remove directory - Solaris 7

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. profiling linux kernel.

5. NFS processes hang (forever) when NFS dies for a bit

6. ftp server

7. logging to NFS-mounted files seems to cause hangs when NFS dies

8. Pleae help..... Could not start Apachectl "Cannot find ELF"

9. DEll Poweredge and RH 2.2.5-15smp hang ups

10. Strange hang-ups with QDI WinneX 3 motherboard.

11. users login hang ups, NIS+ passwd problem ?

12. File hang ups

13. Random hang-ups with Slackware 1.2.0 dip??