Sound card driver install help needed

Post by NotGeo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sorry about the subject, but I've been searching with the search engines
for ages before writing this msg, and I'm just use to writing like that.

What I need is help installing my onboard sound chip.  I am using a VIA?
MVP4 Chipset Baby AT Motherboard? , with:

On Board Sound
? -? On Chip AC97 Audio Controller with Standard AC97 Codec.
? -? PnP, Full-Duplex, Sound Blaster Pro, Direct Sound Ready.
? -? Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in and MIDI/Game Port (via Cable).

(link to the motherboard webpage:
http://www.pcpartner.com.hk/prod/vib876s.htm )

Windows98 Needs one driver called AC97sound or somthing like that, anyways
it's on a cd, an u just hav 2 dbl click on setup and it's done.  I am using
Linux Mandrake, release 6.1 (helios), and the linux version is
2.2.13-4.mdk.  And I'm using KDE (but about 5wm are installed (I'm a newbie
if you can't tell))

And while I'm at it, the start menu type things dissapear of the screen in
KDE, like you know how windows just splits the menus up??  With KDE, they
just go off the screen, so I can't see whats there.

Many thanx, Jams

And also while I'm at it (Yes more, I can waffle on), a comparison between
win98 and linux mandrake on my upgraded system.

Instalation ease        Win98 wins (Duh, you only have to hit the keyboeard 4
times during the whole install)

Ease of setup:                          Win98 again!!!

Quickest Boot:                  Win98

Default Boot:                   Linux!!

Best possible screen res:       Linux (Win don't let me tell it the specs of the
monitor                                         like linux does)

Desktop Niceness:                       KDE (except for the anoying start menu thing)

Stability:                              Linux (Cept I can't fix it even if somthing goes slightly
        wrong, so I have to reinstall... ho hum...)

Games:                          Win98  (GTA2, yey!!... ain't looked for games on linux                                  yet)

Cheapest:                               Linux (Donations for a new windsurfer welcome)

Least reinstalls:                       Win98 (I know how to use Win98)

1. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

I actually got pretty far into this, but can't make a peep come out of the
speakers (I just had a horrible thought - speakers are plugged in and turned
on).

Got ALSA Drivers, utilities, and library files, did standard configure, make,
make install for each.
In a console window under KDE, did the following:
1. insmod soundcore - got nothing back, so I assume that worked.
2. ran the snddevices script - it happily reported making a ton of devices.
3. Edited my etc/modules.conf to the following

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1938
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

4. ran modprobe snd-card-es1938 - got nothing back, so I assume that worked as
well.

5. I tried a couple of the tools available under the "multimedia" option of the
KDE menu - none of them can access the output dev. I tried the chmod, still no
joy. When I run /utils/alsasound start, it reports that the driver is already
running. I postulate that may be so, but would like to confirm my hypothesis by
actually hearing something from the speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

2. RPC calls/ephemeral ports through a firewall?

3. Need sound driver RH5.2 using S3 sonicVibes PCI sound card

4. How to combine libraries (.a's)?

5. Need help installing old Sound Blaster 16 card

6. Howto find owner of pppd process?

7. Need help with "Sound 16" sound card

8. Lots of interface cards.

9. no drivers for vedio card and sound card..pls help

10. Need help with "Sound 16" sound card

11. Need help installing driver for 3Com 3c590B card

12. Need Help Installing driver for Ethernet Card