Can't mount IDE/ATAPI CDROM (can't find filesystem)

Can't mount IDE/ATAPI CDROM (can't find filesystem)

Post by Dan Alexand » Sat, 02 Mar 1996 04:00:00

System:   Gateway 2000 P5/133
CDROM:    Mitsumi 4X IDE/ATAPI configured on secondary controller (ide1) as master.  (hdc)
HD:       Western Digital Caviar AC31600 1.6G configured on primary controller (ide0) as master.  (hda)

I originally installed linux using the Slackware 3.0 version  "idecd" boot diskette.  When booting
from this kernel image, the system finds the CDROM and secondary controller without a problem.
On bootup the system returns:

                hdc: FX001DE, ATAPI, CDROM drive
                ide1: secondary controller on irq 15

After the system boots, I can log on as "root" and mount the CDROM:

                mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /cdrom -o ro

However, I downloaded the kernel source (1.2.13) and recompiled the kernel to add additional drivers.
I made sure to add support for IDE/ATAPI CDROM and the ISO9660 filesystem when running "make config".
I installed zImage to the root directory and ran /sbin/lilo.

During the boot sequence, autoprobe still finds hdc and ide1 without a problem, but now I can't
mount the CDROM.  I get the following message:

                mount:  fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel

But if I look in the /proc/filesystems file, iso9660 shows up in the list of installed filesystems.  Also,
ide1 shows up in /proc/devices as a valid block device.

I've recompiled the 1.2.13 kernel and still have the same problem.  I've also have accessed the CDROM using
both DOS and the "idecd" boot diskette/1.44 color root diskette (rule out hardware problems).

I'll re-post a summary of this problem if I find an answer.

Dan Alexander

Post by Andries Brouw » Mon, 04 Mar 1996 04:00:00

:   I get the following message:

:               mount:  fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel

: But if I look in the /proc/filesystems file, iso9660 shows up
: in the list of installed filesystems.

Then start by getting a better mount.
Some distributions still include antediluvian versions.

[A very recent version that also knows about the loop device
can be found at ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/linux/util/mount-2.5e.tar.gz
(or -2.5f or so).]

1. Summary: Can't mount IDE/ATAPI CDROM (can't find filesystem)

 Solution
 Run the shell script:   /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide1  after you compile and install the
 new kernel.

 Dan Alexander

 Problem
[...]

2. Quick! Have limited opp to install on Solaris hardware

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. BERKLY'S BIND HAS CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

5. Autofs of a Samba share using $USER variable?

6. Linux won't find ATAPI cdrom on 2nd IDE controller...help!

7. PPP can't use ISP's Name Server

8. IDE/ATAPI FX400 CDROM won't mount

9. ide cdrom and cdrom writer with scsi harddisk using cdrecord can't find cd reader

10. Atapi cdrom problem: wrong speed found by ide-cdrom

11. HELP: Slackware 2.2.0 won't recognize my ATAPI/IDE CDROM drive

12. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter