Newbies...Linux Installation Problems. Please help.

Newbies...Linux Installation Problems. Please help.

Post by Alfred :- » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am a newbies to Linux and I have a few questions regarding installation.

I am using a brand new 10Gb Harddisk.

I'd like to install Windows 98, SuSe Linux and Redhat Linux, using bootup
manager like System Commander or PowerQuest BootMagic on startup.

First, I use DOS fdisk to create a partitions of 4.5Gb for my Windows, then
2 separate partitions for Linux and 2 small ones for swap, all are set at
FAT32. My harddisk are fully utilized.

I "Ghosted" back my Windows 98 from image and installed Bootmagic,
everything work out fine.

Problems occurred when I install SuSe. I tried to change my FAT to Linux
ext2 format but it did not allowed me to do so as it said my hard drive has

Quote:>1024 cylinders.

Would any expert help me to solve this problem? Is it the fact that Linux
system cannot be installed on my Big harddisk? Can I really perform the
above installation?

Also, any good website for Linux learning or information?

Thank you very much.

1. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

I have made an attempt to instal linux on my 486dx2 66 & 1.8 Gb Harddisk & 20 Mb ram memmory
& Nec 5fge monitor & viper 2 MB vram graphic board.

I have read LINUX SCSI HOWTO and LINUX INSTALLATION HOWTO in both papers I could not find a solution.
I am new in the LINUX area and I don't have a clue what to do, so I ask the real prof's if they can help me out.

There is more information available if needed, please contact me.

1st I could go through the startup procedure, system hangs telling me
the following:

Partitiotion check:

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to allocate_device().

2th with dos fdisk I created on my second partition space for linux,
that is I changed the last logical drive for free space.

Under DOS I had 2 partitions 1 DOS and 1 EXTENDED :
DOS Partition 1 logical drive 102 MB, named C:
Extended Partition 10 logical drives 102 MB, named D: until M:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 600 MB, named N:

After the change:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 350 MB N:
Extended Partition about 250 MB free for LINUX

3th I started the instalation procedure again and now the system was
able to go beyond the error that acured in 1st.

4th I used linux fdisk to create sd16 swapdisk and sd17 linux native
disk and I wrote the information in the partition table and rebooted (stupid
idea I think now).

5th The computer or the installation reacts as in the 1st situation.

6th I tried dos fdisk to correct the problem but dos fdisk can't acces
the partition information anymore.

additional information:

Adaptec AHA-1542 CF BIOS v2.01 SCSI CARD

some information read from the screen while installing LINUX:

LILO

Welcome to slackware linux 2.3.0 bootkernel disk!

etc.

boot:           (enter to continue)

etc.

SCSI : 1 host

        Vendor: QUATUM   Model: PD1800S    Rev: 3162
        Type: Direct Acces      Ansi SCSI Revision: 02
Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, id 4, lun 0
scsi Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sda

Memory: etc. etc.

etc.

Checking 'hlt' instructions ok.

Partition Check :

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to
allocate_device().

After this the system hangs, I can use DOS drives c: until n:, I cannot use DOS FDISK.

I hope that I don't have to reformat my harddisk to solve the problem

Who can help me making DOS FDISK working again or to instal LINUX in the correct way ?

please HELP !!!

2. How to find out whether it's 32- or 64-bit?

3. newbie installation problem, please help

4. nfs/nis/? errors - help!!

5. Please, please, please help a newbie.

6. Interesting modem problem

7. Linux installation problem - Please help!

8. Finding number of disk in a sever

9. Installation - PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE!!!!!!

10. Linux 7.0 installation problem... Please HELP ME...

11. Newbie: Help with installation of FreeBSD 2.2.5 Please.

12. Newbie: PCMICA installation woes - help please

13. Please help this newbie (installation error)