1. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!
I have made an attempt to instal linux on my 486dx2 66 & 1.8 Gb Harddisk & 20 Mb ram memmory
& Nec 5fge monitor & viper 2 MB vram graphic board.
I have read LINUX SCSI HOWTO and LINUX INSTALLATION HOWTO in both papers I could not find a solution.
I am new in the LINUX area and I don't have a clue what to do, so I ask the real prof's if they can help me out.
There is more information available if needed, please contact me.
1st I could go through the startup procedure, system hangs telling me
sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to allocate_device().
2th with dos fdisk I created on my second partition space for linux,
that is I changed the last logical drive for free space.
Under DOS I had 2 partitions 1 DOS and 1 EXTENDED :
DOS Partition 1 logical drive 102 MB, named C:
Extended Partition 10 logical drives 102 MB, named D: until M:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 600 MB, named N:
After the change:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 350 MB N:
Extended Partition about 250 MB free for LINUX
3th I started the instalation procedure again and now the system was
able to go beyond the error that acured in 1st.
4th I used linux fdisk to create sd16 swapdisk and sd17 linux native
disk and I wrote the information in the partition table and rebooted (stupid
idea I think now).
5th The computer or the installation reacts as in the 1st situation.
6th I tried dos fdisk to correct the problem but dos fdisk can't acces
the partition information anymore.
Adaptec AHA-1542 CF BIOS v2.01 SCSI CARD
some information read from the screen while installing LINUX:
Welcome to slackware linux 2.3.0 bootkernel disk!
boot: (enter to continue)
SCSI : 1 host
Vendor: QUATUM Model: PD1800S Rev: 3162
Type: Direct Acces Ansi SCSI Revision: 02
Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, id 4, lun 0
scsi Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sda
Memory: etc. etc.
Checking 'hlt' instructions ok.
Partition Check :
sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to
After this the system hangs, I can use DOS drives c: until n:, I cannot use DOS FDISK.
I hope that I don't have to reformat my harddisk to solve the problem
Who can help me making DOS FDISK working again or to instal LINUX in the correct way ?
please HELP !!!
2. How to find out whether it's 32- or 64-bit?
3. newbie installation problem, please help
4. nfs/nis/? errors - help!!
5. Please, please, please help a newbie.
6. Interesting modem problem
7. Linux installation problem - Please help!
8. Finding number of disk in a sever
9. Installation - PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE!!!!!!
10. Linux 7.0 installation problem... Please HELP ME...
11. Newbie: Help with installation of FreeBSD 2.2.5 Please.
12. Newbie: PCMICA installation woes - help please
13. Please help this newbie (installation error)