Linux 1.2.1 -> 1.3 ELF

Post by Dr DJ Elli » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

I am considering upgrading my system from 1.2.1 to 1.3.18 (ELF). I have some
binaries without source code in a.out format which I use a lot. Is it still
possible to run these under ELF or will I have to track down the source and
recompile? (Yes, I know I really ought to have it!)

I am intending to back up /root, /etc, /home, probably var/usr/spool plus
ensure I have a good boot disk. Any other suggestions to ensure I preserve as
much as possible of the 'feel' and functionality of my current set-up.

Any dire warnings I need to know about before I take this step into the
unknown?!

David.

Dr DJ Ellis             |  See our family Homepage at:
London, UK              |  http://ourworld.compuserve.com

Linux 1.2.1 -> 1.3 ELF

Post by Kit » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

> I am considering upgrading my system from 1.2.1 to 1.3.18 (ELF). I have some
> binaries without source code in a.out format which I use a lot. Is it still
> possible to run these under ELF or will I have to track down the source and
> recompile? (Yes, I know I really ought to have it!)

Shouldn't be a problem. All I've seen so far gives you an option at 'make
config' to allow you to run a.out and/or ELF.

Quote:> I am intending to back up /root, /etc, /home, probably var/usr/spool plus
> ensure I have a good boot disk. Any other suggestions to ensure I preserve as
> much as possible of the 'feel' and functionality of my current set-up.

If you're just updating the kernel the system is going to retain it's look
and feel.

Quote:> Any dire warnings I need to know about before I take this step into the
> unknown?!

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. Also, retain an old version of your kernel and add
it to LILO (or whatever) so you can boot back to it should you need it.

Kit

-------
Murphy's Military Laws:
The reason the buddy system works is because it gives the enemy someone
else to shoot at.

1. ELF + 1.3.x kernel -> kernel header can't be identified

I want to start working with the 1.3 kernels, but I can't get past one
of the last stages of the build process.  When piggybac in
arch/i386/boot/compressed runs, it states that it can't identify the
kernel (see output below).  The magic numbers in the source do
indicate a lack of a match, but I can't figure out why.

I have been researching this problem on the Usenet, and have
discovered that other people have had this problem when working with
1.3.x kernels and ELF.  Usually, just after ELF is installed.  The
probable cause is that something needs to be updated, I just don't
know what.

make output related to failure :
make[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/kernel-1.3.62/arch/i386/boot/compressed'
gcc -I/usr/src/kernel-1.3.62/include -O2 -DSTDC_HEADERS -o xtract
xtract.c
gcc -I/usr/src/kernel-1.3.62/include -O2 -DSTDC_HEADERS -o piggyback
piggyback.c
./xtract /usr/src/kernel-1.3.62/vmlinux | gzip -9 | ./piggyback >
piggy.o
Non-GCC header of 'system'
Compressed size 20.
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/kernel-1.3.62/include -traditional -c
head.S
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/kernel-1.3.62/include -O2 -DSTDC_HEADERS
-c misc.c
 -o misc.o
ld -qmagic -Ttext 0xfe0 -o vmlinux head.o misc.o piggy.o
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 00000fe0
misc.o: In function `memcpy':
misc.o(.text+0x1eac): undefined reference to `input_data'
misc.o(.text+0x1eb1): undefined reference to `input_len'
misc.o(.text+0x1ec7): undefined reference to `input_data'
make[2]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/kernel-1.3.62/arch/i386/boot/compressed'
make[1]: *** [compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-1.3.62/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

Thanks,
                Jim

2. "lose" the last character in vi ??

3. BUGFIX: Linux 1.3.x with ELF!

4. 3D-Logo: Uploaded to sunsite.unc.edu

5. NCSA 1.3-->1.4.2-->1.5

6. Linux on Intel vs. Linux on Alpha

7. 1.2.x to 1.3 -> <Files> doesn'work any more !!

8. Problem with multiple addresses per interface

9. Apache 1.3 and <Directory> vs <FilesMatch> problem

10. Linux 1.2.13 -> 1.3.5x

11. ELF problem on 1.3.x?

12. 1.3.3X and ELF modules

13. Where is kernel 1.3.x for ELF