ESS soundcard (1868)

Post by kyramse » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone had any luck configuring an ESS 1868 soundcard? I have yet to
tackle setting up my soundcard in previous installation attempts. I'm
thinking about trying again and would like to hear any thoughts on this
card.

Thanks in advance.

ESS soundcard (1868)

Post by Aduanne Carte » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

This may be "evil" but try OSS at 4front-tech. $20 buck for 4 years of free
upgrades, easy sound configuration.....
I have a funky unknown onboard sound chip.... CMMI I believe.... really two
sound cards in one.... SB16 & Windows Sound System.  Took a little work with
ISAPNP and manual config in OSS but got both working correctly.... like I
said it "may" be "evil", but just a thought.....

>Has anyone had any luck configuring an ESS 1868 soundcard? I have yet to
>tackle setting up my soundcard in previous installation attempts. I'm
>thinking about trying again and would like to hear any thoughts on this
>card.

>Thanks in advance.

ESS soundcard (1868)

Post by Isaa » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone had any luck configuring an ESS 1868 soundcard? I have yet to
>tackle setting up my soundcard in previous installation attempts. I'm
>thinking about trying again and would like to hear any thoughts on this
>card.

>Thanks in advance.

I'd guess that this is one of the most asked about sound cards
ever.  I've got one and it works fine.  Key things to know
are

1.  You'll have to compile sound as a module
2.  You'll need to use isapnp to configure your card.  Be sure
to note the manufacturer's recommendations for setting IRQ, DMA etc
3.  The readme information in the linux kernel directory
  (usr/src/linux/drivers/sound) are really helpful as is the
  sound howto.

Good luck with your card.  If you have any questions, post a specific
question about your problem and someone will help.

Isaac

ESS soundcard (1868)

Post by George D » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

]Has anyone had any luck configuring an ESS 1868 soundcard? I have yet to
]tackle setting up my soundcard in previous installation attempts. I'm
]thinking about trying again and would like to hear any thoughts on this
]card.

I have some info on my homepage:
http://www.pobox.com/~gedau there is a link to the ESS1868 stuff
right near the top.

You should also visit
http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html

Regards,
George.

--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau                                              __
/    * \ Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet      (OO)

      v  WWW:  http://pobox.com/~gedau                          W--W

ESS soundcard (1868)

Post by Neil Kooze » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'd guess that this is one of the most asked about sound cards
> ever.  I've got one and it works fine.  Key things to know
> are

Do you just mean the basic audio or did you get the mpu-401 and the mixer
to work too?  The basic audio is like SB pro after setting up pnp, but the
linux driver seems to be incompatible with the midi part.  I was able to
play midi through the KDE midi player, but it didn't sound anything like
the sound I get in Windows.  The midi sound also came through the wrong
channel of the mixer, and the mixer had some other malfunctions.  The 1868
has a wavetable which makes the piano sound like a real piano, but the
sound I got was like that of an old fm synth.

Anybody know how to get the midi sound?

Neil.

ESS soundcard (1868)

Post by Amay Champaneri » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've got an ESS1686 that I can't set up correctly in RH 5.1.  When I boot up,

the kernel finds the card, and the volume of static on my speakers goes up
high, then towards the end of the boot, it loads "sound configuration" when
I guess it looks at my mixer settings and sets the volume back down.  When
I'm playing CDs through my sound card, I can adjust the volume with xmixer,
but whenever I try to play au files, it tells me "Device not configured."
Does
anyone know how to set up an ESS1686 correctly?

Here's my /dev/sndstat file if it helps:

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630
Kernel: Linux gyro 2.0.35 #1 Thu Jul 23 14:01:04 EDT 1998 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices: