message in my /var/log/messages file that I don't understand

message in my /var/log/messages file that I don't understand

Post by Joseph Norri » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello group,

I have the following in my /var/log/messages file

May 18 07:34:42 ns identd[4677]: getgrgid() could not map gid (555) to
name (for uid 592, name sirron)

Can anyone tell me what this means?

1. Problem understanding some messages from var/log/messages

Could somebody explain what the following messages mean:

depmod: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/net/rcpci.o: unresolved symbol(s)
    (I have about 50 of them each boot, for different .o files in
different folders)

and

modprobe: insmod: :357:parsing error in dependeny file
last message repeated NN times
    (these two lines come together several times for each boot, with
different NN numbers)

As for how it looks on my screen: it writes "Finding module
dependencies" and halts until I press Ctrl-C, then it continue to boot
as usual.

Also, when I try to run sndconfig, it gives me the 2nd message (the
"modprobe" - first line only), after finding my sound card and trying to
play something on it.

Note: I didnt have these glitches before recompiling my kernel.

System is RH6.0, kernel v.2.2.5-15

I'll be eternally grateful for explaining me all this stuff.

Alex Savitsky

2. How to upgrade SuSE 6.1 to use latest glibc?

3. 1.3.71 - Bootup messages don't appear in /var/adm/messages

4. FTP file access...

5. can't find startup messages since april in /var/log/messages using 2.4.18

6. Linking two or more ethernet.

7. How large can /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog get ?

8. executing a dos binary.

9. How to close /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages..

10. Don't want named messages in log file

11. Help analyzing log file /var/log/messages on RH 5.1

12. Kernel messages in /var/log/messages

13. kdm message in /var/log/messages?