MetroX question

Post by Roger Richmon » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

What advantages are there to using teh Metro-X server as opposed to
Xfree86? I have heard many people talking about how great the Metri-X
server is, but I'm wondering what makes it better. I'm considering
buying the Red HAt 5.0 linux because that is where I remotly compile
most of my programs, so I want the same C libraries.

Also, what other advantages are there to buyning the commercial Red Hat
distribution as opposed to getting the freeware version? Thanks in
advance for any help you have to offer!

Jesse Richmond

MetroX question

Post by Brion Vibbe » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> What advantages are there to using teh Metro-X server as opposed to
> Xfree86? I have heard many people talking about how great the Metri-X
> server is, but I'm wondering what makes it better.

It (at least in some cases) supports things like OpenGL, MPEG decoding,
touch screens, and multiple screens.

Quote:> I'm considering
> buying the Red HAt 5.0 linux because that is where I remotly compile
> most of my programs, so I want the same C libraries.

> Also, what other advantages are there to buyning the commercial Red Hat
> distribution as opposed to getting the freeware version? Thanks in
> advance for any help you have to offer!

1. You get a CD, convenient if you have a slow internet connection and
need to install stuff a lot.

2. You get MetroX.

3. You get a commercial backup program.

4. You get RealVideo/ReadAudio encoder & basic server software.

5. You get an installation guide and 30 days of installation support.

MetroX question

Post by Bernard Dallair » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hello!

> What advantages are there to using teh Metro-X server as opposed to
> Xfree86? I have heard many people talking about how great the Metri-X
> server is, but I'm wondering what makes it better. I'm considering
> buying the Red HAt 5.0 linux because that is where I remotly compile
> most of my programs, so I want the same C libraries.

> Also, what other advantages are there to buyning the commercial Red Hat
> distribution as opposed to getting the freeware version? Thanks in
> advance for any help you have to offer!

> Jesse Richmond

  For me, it was a big help, Metro-X was the only one that was supporting
properly my Matrox Mystique 220 Video Card.

Have an ice day :)

Bernard

1. Xfree86-MetroX Questions...

This may be a dumb question, but here goes...
Do I have to have Xfree86 installed to use MetroX?  *Can* I have both
installed at the same time, or is it an either/or situation?  I just
got RH 5.0, and I have always used Xfree86 in the past, but thought I
would like to try out MetroX.  Unfortunately I couldn't glean the
answers to these questions from the RH manual.  Thanx in advance for
any help you can give me in this matter.
                                                      Kurt

Education is what you get from reading the small print.
Experience is what you get from not reading it.
--

http://www.aa.net/~kurtr (New and Improved!)

2. Star Office

3. MetroX question ?

4. Korn shell crash

5. monitor / ATI, metroX and X question (setup)

6. data search either but not both

7. metroX and X, ATI and monitor setup question

8. MetroX under RedHat questions!

9. Keyboard question for MetroX

10. How do I start two X servers using MetroX and xdm?

11. Redhat: Can MetroX from 3.03 CD be used with 4.1?

12. RH Metrox Not fully functional?