isapnp tools, ppp, and Redhat 5.2

Post by amer.. » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm using RedHat 5.2 I can use isapnp tools to
get the system to recognize my modem. (I use
statserial/cua2 to check). I have to type the
configuration everytime I boot, though. I've
added the following lines to
my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file
/sbin/isapnp etc/isapnp.conf
/sbin/setserial/ /devttyS2 port 0x03e8 irq 11
autoconfig

but the system doesn't set the configuration at
boot and I end up doing it manually.

Whenever I issue the setserial command, my modem
begins to click as if iniating a connection.
Twenty seconds later it clicks again as if
disconnecting. This goes on and on.

I do have a ppp connection setup to start at boot
time, although I have yet to connect
successfully. I've also tried setting it up to
connect via a manual /sbin/ifup ppp0 comand

The modem works fine in Windows.

My system is home built:
AMD KX2 380 (overclocked to 400)
128 Mb Ram
Diamond Fire GL1000 Pro Video Card (8 Mb)
2 Ultra DMA HDD
IDE Zip Drive
Sony CD-R
Soundblaster AWE64
Motorola VoiceSurfr 56k ISA modem
ActionTec PNA NIC

I know that my modem is compatible with Linux
because I have corresponded with others who use
the same modem.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/