linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

Post by rasau » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram
it's a pair of 64mb sdram's in a qdi tx1b+ mb with a p233mmx
works fine in win9x...
anyone? help?
i really need this to work... being able to use only 1/2 the ram in my
system is unacceptable...

... rasauq ...

quasar (at) mailandnews (dot) com

Spammers and Commercial e-mailers beware:

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
adverti*t to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

Post by Terry D. Bold » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram
> it's a pair of 64mb sdram's in a qdi tx1b+ mb with a p233mmx
> works fine in win9x...
> anyone? help?
> i really need this to work... being able to use only 1/2 the ram in my
> system is unacceptable...

> ... rasauq ...

> quasar (at) mailandnews (dot) com

> Spammers and Commercial e-mailers beware:

> "By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
> meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
> By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
> adverti*t to such equipment.
> By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
> punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
> whichever is greater, for each violation."

  I had the same problem, unfortunately most docs onlt give a partial
answer. Follow the three steps:

1. Edit the '/etc/lilo.conf' file to add the following line:
     append="mem=128M"
add the line after the last line for the kernal you want loaded, or all
kernals

2. run '/sbin/lilo'

3. reboot

Do ALL three steps. Watch the messages when you reboot, and you should
see a message tellling you how much memory is recognized.

Good luck

linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

Post by Kyle Dansi » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

This was a problem in the older versions of the kernel 2.0.30

I now have the 2.0.33 and this problem has gone away. The distribution
is SuSE 5.2, but I think this is true of all the newer releases. Maybe
if you just get the latest stable kernel 2.0.35, that should fix the
problem.

Cheers
Kyle Dansie

Linux Rules
          ZIP drive Mini-HOWTO
http://njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
                    or
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

Post by velocit » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram
> it's a pair of 64mb sdram's in a qdi tx1b+ mb with a p233mmx
> works fine in win9x...
> anyone? help?
> i really need this to work... being able to use only 1/2 the ram in my
> system is unacceptable...

> ... rasauq ...

> quasar (at) mailandnews (dot) com

> Spammers and Commercial e-mailers beware:

> "By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
> meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
> By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
> adverti*t to such equipment.
> By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
> punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
> whichever is greater, for each violation."

  Add the line

           append="mem=128M"

  to your /etc/lilo.conf file

        example

            image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.xx.xx
                label=xxxxx
                root=/dev/hdax
                append="mem=128M"
                read-only

linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

Post by RC » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

There are option switches you can use with whatever you're loading
Linux with.  Read the man pages for the particular loader you're
using.

RCW

Post by Graffit » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram
>it's a pair of 64mb sdram's in a qdi tx1b+ mb with a p233mmx
>works fine in win9x...
>anyone? help?
>i really need this to work... being able to use only 1/2 the ram in my
>system is unacceptable...

1) Learn to capitalize.
2) If it's unacceptable, find out how to fix it.  You can:
        A.      Search dejanews.  This question is asked at least
                100,000,000 every day.
        B.      Look at the faqs.  There's tons of them out there
                that covers it.

-- DN

linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

Post by madOn » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram
>it's a pair of 64mb sdram's in a qdi tx1b+ mb with a p233mmx
>works fine in win9x...
>anyone? help?
>i really need this to work... being able to use only 1/2 the ram in my
>system is unacceptable...

>.... rasauq ...

>quasar (at) mailandnews (dot) com

>Spammers and Commercial e-mailers beware:

>"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
>meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
>By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
>adverti*t to such equipment.
>By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
>punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
>whichever is greater, for each violation."

t sound like a BIOS-Problem.
On some bord you will find the option "RAM >64MB: OS2/NON OS2
Try to change the settings or download a biosupgrade.

Maybe this will help you

Bye

Post by rasau » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram
> >it's a pair of 64mb sdram's in a qdi tx1b+ mb with a p233mmx
> >works fine in win9x...
> >anyone? help?
> >i really need this to work... being able to use only 1/2 the ram in my
> >system is unacceptable...

> 1) Learn to capitalize.

i can capitalize if i want to, i choose not to. personal style.

Quote:> 2) If it's unacceptable, find out how to fix it.  You can:
>         A.      Search dejanews.  This question is asked at least
>                 100,000,000 every day.
>         B.      Look at the faqs.  There's tons of them out there
>                 that covers it.

that's why i posted my question here. and i got about 6 answers in less
than a day

... rasauq ...

quasar (at) mailandnews (dot) com

Spammers and Commercial e-mailers beware:

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
adverti*t to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

Post by rasau » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram
> > it's a pair of 64mb sdram's in a qdi tx1b+ mb with a p233mmx
> > works fine in win9x...
> > anyone? help?
> > i really need this to work... being able to use only 1/2 the ram in my
> > system is unacceptable...

> > ... rasauq ...

> > quasar (at) mailandnews (dot) com

> > Spammers and Commercial e-mailers beware:

> > "By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
> > meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
> > By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
> > adverti*t to such equipment.
> > By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
> > punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
> > whichever is greater, for each violation."

>   I had the same problem, unfortunately most docs onlt give a partial
> answer. Follow the three steps:

> 1. Edit the '/etc/lilo.conf' file to add the following line:
>      append="mem=128M"
> add the line after the last line for the kernal you want loaded, or all
> kernals

> 2. run '/sbin/lilo'

> 3. reboot

> Do ALL three steps. Watch the messages when you reboot, and you should
> see a message tellling you how much memory is recognized.

> Good luck

thanks man, that worked

... rasauq ...

quasar (at) mailandnews (dot) com

Spammers and Commercial e-mailers beware:

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
adverti*t to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

Post by Louis J Bouchar » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Actually, the fix is alot simpler. Just go into the lilo configuration
file (/etc/lilo.conf) and add or change the mem variable to 128MB

ex:

mem="128 MB"

That should do the trick

--
Louis J Bouchard
Durham NH

"I know not what World War 3 will be fought with,
but I know world war 4 will be fought with sticks
and stones."
Albert Einstien

Post by Adrian Taylo » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: Actually, the fix is alot simpler. Just go into the lilo configuration
: file (/etc/lilo.conf) and add or change the mem variable to 128MB

: ex:

: mem="128 MB"

: That should do the trick

append="mem=128M"

UNIX Systems Support & Development, Southampton University Computing Services

linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

Post by Peter Dohert » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Okay fine, he was annoying in his post, but give him a break, and use that
hostility to type "append mem=128m"

if he asked "how do i recompile the kernel" you can tell him to*off
and read a FAQ, but this is an easy question, and a quick simple reply is
best suited

--Peter

Post by Graffit » Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Okay fine, he was annoying in his post, but give him a break, and use that
>hostility to type "append mem=128m"

The syntax is:
append = "mem = 128M"

If you're gonna provide help on Usenet, you should post correct answers.

Quote:>if he asked "how do i recompile the kernel" you can tell him to*off
>and read a FAQ, but this is an easy question, and a quick simple reply is
>best suited

No, that's what the README in the main kernel source directory is for.
And yes, it's an easy question.  It's also polite to actually look a bit
before you ask.  I find it rather hard to believe he couldn't find the
answer assuming he searched.

-- DN (How many more thousands of "Help, leenoox only seez 64megs of mah
memorie!" posts do you want to see?)

Post by Ahmed Masu » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >Okay fine, he was annoying in his post, but give him a break, and use that
> >hostility to type "append mem=128m"

> The syntax is:
> append = "mem = 128M"

actually it's append = "mem=128M"

There should not be any white spaces in the 'mem=128M' part.

Quote:

> If you're gonna provide help on Usenet, you should post correct answers.

touche *grin*
Quote:> >if he asked "how do i recompile the kernel" you can tell him to*off
> >and read a FAQ, but this is an easy question, and a quick simple reply is
> >best suited

linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

Post by Paolo Ciccon » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

    Kyle> This was a problem in the older versions of the kernel
    Kyle> 2.0.30 I now have the 2.0.33 and this problem has gone
    Kyle> away. The distribution is SuSE 5.2, but I think this is true
    Kyle> of all the newer releases. Maybe if you just get the latest
    Kyle> stable kernel 2.0.35, that should fix the problem.

RedHat 5.1 with 2.0.34 kernel still has the problem.

--Paolo

1. linux only recognises 64mb of my 128mb ram

    Kyle> This was a problem in the older versions of the kernel
    Kyle> 2.0.30 I now have the 2.0.33 and this problem has gone
    Kyle> away. The distribution is SuSE 5.2, but I think this is true
    Kyle> of all the newer releases. Maybe if you just get the latest
    Kyle> stable kernel 2.0.35, that should fix the problem.

RedHat 5.1 with 2.0.34 kernel still has the problem.

--Paolo

2. Panasonic DVD-RAM drive?

3. Install 128MB RAM on 430VX chipset with 64MB cacheable RAM support

4. traceroute on HPUX 9.05 with source routeing enabled

5. BIOS finds 128MB Ram Linux finds 64MB???

6. Linux/unix Primer

7. I have 128MB RAM but my system see only 64MB

8. xlogin for Solaris 2.1?

9. 128MB RAM 2.2.5 only show 64MB?

10. 128MB RAM but only 64MB seen

11. 64Mb RAM instead of 128Mb

12. 128MB RAM detected as 64MB

13. Linux recognizing only 64 of 128MB RAM