Linux kernel 2.0.34 and ATAPI-SCSI emulation.

Linux kernel 2.0.34 and ATAPI-SCSI emulation.

Post by Arnoud de Geu » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I used to have ATAPI-SCSI emulation on my Linux Red Hat 4.2 box with
pathched 2.0.31 kernel. This because then I could use my ATAPI CD (re-writable)
devices as a generic SCSI device in combination with cdrecord/xcdroast/cdparanoia,
The following patches had to be applied for 2.0.31:

----------------linux/drivers/block/ide.h----------------------
159c159
< #define WAIT_CMD (10*HZ) /* 10sec  - maximum wait for an IRQ to happen */
---

Quote:> #define WAIT_CMD (1000*HZ) /* 1000sec  - maximum wait for an IRQ to happen */

******* 400 seconds seems to be enough JS *****

----------------linux/drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.c------------------

162a163

Quote:> #if 0
170a172
> #endif
180a183
> #if 0
186a190
> #endif
433a438,439
>  printk ("ATAPI overlap supported: %s\n",
>   drive->id->capability & 0x20 ? "Yes" : "No");

and the kernel had to be rebuild with SCSI emulation support (not as
a module, but compiled into the kernel), and the generic IDE/ATAPI support
had to be switched off.

I recently upgraded to Red Hat 5.1 with kernel 2.0.34. Does anyone know
the procedure, to get ATAPI-SCSI emulation working on this system?

greetings,

Post by Arnoud de Geu » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I recently upgraded to Red Hat 5.1 with kernel 2.0.34. Does anyone know
> the procedure, to get ATAPI-SCSI emulation working on this system?

It is rather simple,

You need to do the following things:

1. Most probably you need to rebuild your kernel to configure
you're ATAPI drive in such a way that it can be addressed as
a generic SCSI drive. Go to

/usr/src/linux

and do a

make mrproper

2. If you have X up and running you can do a

make xconfig

3. Configure your kernel according to:

In "Floppy, IDE and other block devices":
disable "IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM support" and enable instead "scsi emulation"

in "SCSI support":
enable "SCSI support", "SCSI CD-ROM support" and "SCSI generic support"

everything directly in the kernel. I have included my linux.conf kernel
configuration file, which you can load into the make xconfig program.
Perhaps you can use most of these options.

4. compile, install kernel/modules, reboot. If everything went well,
you can  address your ATAPI drives as:

/dev/scd0
/dev/scd1

(I have two drives).

5. You can install X CD Roast to burn data disk's. X CD Roast includes
cdrecord 1.6 and mkisofs-1.12b3. Download this package from

http://www.fh-muenchen.de/rz/xcdroast

The readcdda patch, which should make it possible to read audio
cd's with X CD Roast, does not work for me, but I use cdparanoia
to read audio cd's and cdrecord to burn audio cd's.

You can find cdrecord at (is included in X CD Roast)

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/nthp/employees/schilling/cdrecord.html

You can find cdparanoia at:

http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/xiphmont/cdparanoia/index.html

6. Data CD's are best created using X CD Roast. This includes
Unix Rock Ridge extensions CD's or win95/NT CD's

7. Audio cd's can be copied using cdparanoia and cdrecord. I use
the command's:

cdparanoia -R -B -g /dev/scd0 1-xx

(with xx the number of track's), and

cdrecord -v -speed=2 -dev=1,01,00 -eject -audio track*

8. To blank a CD rewritable disk using cdrecord, use the command:

cdrecord -dev=1,01,00 -blank=fast

greetings,

1. Linux kernel 2.0.34 and ATAPI-SCSI emulation.

[...]

2. Configuring Linux as mail server ...

3. Around and around we go...

4. atapi-scsi emulation with CDRW?

5. Mac lpr under 3.2?

6. Mounting CDROM under ATAPI-SCSI emulation

7. HELP: Dumb terminal on serial port

8. 2.0.34 + Promise patch + ATAPI ZIP = Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer

9. Adaptec SCSi controller and kernel 2.0.34

10. Tyan 1832DL BX chipset, SCSI, floppy, kernel-2.34/5 problems

11. ide-scsi emulation for ATAPI cd writing problem

12. Does the HP7200i ATAPI CD Writer need SCSI emulation