LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS

Post by Edward Sargiss » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Having read the Large Disk and Lilo howtos I'm a little bit confused.
I used to have linux installed on a 420MB hd.  Now I've got a 1.2GB
and am preparing to install Slackware96 (i.e. kernel 2.0.*).
My problem is exactly how to set the boot up properly.
I would like LILO to load first and ask which OS to load (Linux/DOS).
However DM loads into the MBR where LILO wants to be.  I need DM to
load sometime to access my drive.
I have several questions: (a) where else can I put LILO (other than
MBR) so that it can decide which OS to load.  (b) would it be a good
idea to make a MS-DOS partition in the first 504MB so that it can boot
w/o DM then load DM in config.sys and another partition in that 504MB
for linux boot and then load LILO into the MBR. (c) what else could I
do?

Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------
Edward Sargisson    +64 9 625 4513

Auckland
NEW ZEALAND

LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS

Post by Bob Nielse » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have the same situation and after considering the potential risks of
LILO and DM messing each other up, decided to use LOADLIN instead.  It
probably is a bit slower in loading, but works flawlessly.  I use the
DOS config.sys menu setup to choose between Linux and Win95.  The docs
in the LOADLIN package explain how to do this quite adequately.

Bob

--

                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen

LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS

Post by Gregory Philli » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Don't use DM.  Upgrade your motherboard BIOS chips (mailorder)
or, better yet, upgrade your motherboard.  Newer BIOS have a method
to access large disks and no extra device driver is needed. Bios
upgrade chips cost about $70, look in the back of magazines.

  Seattle, WA, USA              Its never as simple as it seems....

Post by Jeffrey Nowakows » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Don't use DM.

Why not?  I use Dynamic Drive Overlay (same thing as DM?) as my MBR.
It then boots Lilo, which then gives me the option of booting Dos if I
want.  I don't have to worry about boot files being in the first 1024
cylinders, and it doesn't cost me a cent, as opposed to upgrading the bios.

Quote:> Upgrade your motherboard BIOS chips (mailorder) or,
> better yet, upgrade your motherboard.

I considered this awhile back.  I'm curiuos, can you upgrade the bios
by just pulling out the old chip and inserting the new chip?  Do you
have to worry about buying the "right" bios for your motherboard when
ordering?

-Jeff

Post by Alex Jenne » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Having read the Large Disk and Lilo howtos I'm a little bit confused.
> I used to have linux installed on a 420MB hd.  Now I've got a 1.2GB

Some questions:

Are we safe to assume that your BIOS does not support any
form of translation to let you see larger than 504MB/1024cyl
drives (using BIOS/DOS)?

And is the reasons for the purchase of the larger drive,
because a) you wanted to install Linux or b) you needed
more space for DOS stuff anyway?

Quote:> and am preparing to install Slackware96 (i.e. kernel 2.0.*).
> My problem is exactly how to set the boot up properly.
> I would like LILO to load first and ask which OS to load (Linux/DOS).
> However DM loads into the MBR where LILO wants to be.  I need DM to
> load sometime to access my drive.
> I have several questions: (a) where else can I put LILO (other than
> MBR) so that it can decide which OS to load.  (b) would it be a good
> idea to make a MS-DOS partition in the first 504MB so that it can boot
> w/o DM then load DM in config.sys and another partition in that 504MB
> for linux boot and then load LILO into the MBR. (c) what else could I
> do?

In my case I have no DM and old BIOS (no translation), with
partitions as follows;
  340MB DOS
    4MB Linux Boot partition mounted on /boot
   48MB Linux Swap
  885MB Linux Root partition (i.e. remainder of drive)

Partition 2 is marked active/bootable and LILO lives in
boot sector of partition 2 (not MBR). If you boot from a
partition that lives completely below 1024cyl, you don't
need a BIOS upgrade or DM (or similar DDO software).

There's some good Hard Disk stuff at;
http://thef-nym.sci.kun.nl/~pieterh/storage.html

It talks about BIOS 1024cyl Limitations, LBA, DM/DDO and the
like. I've heard that the newer kernels support DDO's such
as DM, but I'm not exactly sure what support means in this
context (maybe IDE.txt? file in kernel source tells more).

There is more Hard Drive stuff at;
http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/ata/

By the way, if change disk translation systems (e.g. from
DM/DDO to Translating BIOS or whatever) then be sure to make
a backup of everything first!

> Thanks in advance.
> --------------------------------------
> Edward Sargisson    +64 9 625 4513

> Auckland
> NEW ZEALAND

If you get really stuck send me an e-mail and I could give
you a call (I also live in Auckland). Not that I am any
sort of guru, but if you are partitioning similar to what
I did above, I might be able to help.

Regards
! Alex Jenner                                              !

! Witty quote under construction                           !
! Speaking for myself - not for Nokia Telecommunications   !

LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS

Post by Oliver Web » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

In the article " Re: LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS ",

15:09:08 GMT:

Quote:>> Upgrade your motherboard BIOS chips (mailorder) or,
>> better yet, upgrade your motherboard.

>I considered this awhile back.  I'm curiuos, can you upgrade the bios
>by just pulling out the old chip and inserting the new chip?

Maybe. More common is updating by FLUSH-BIOS.

Quote:>Do you
>have to worry about buying the "right" bios for your motherboard when
>ordering?

Definetely.

You can also buy an I/O card with an E-IDE controller that has its own
BIOS.

Yours,
        Oliver Weber  O-

| Oliver Weber                   UNIX-Beratung am HRZ der Uni-Frankfurt |

|                                                                       |
| PGP available on request       http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~oweber |

LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS

Post by Keith G. Highfil » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm curiuos, can you upgrade the bios  by just pulling out the old chip

and inserting the new chip?

Yes, if you have a motherboard that has an upgradeable BIOS. Check your
motherboard.

Quote:>  Do you have to worry about buying the "right" bios for your motherboard

when ordering?

Yes, very much so.

1. Help: LiLo an Ontrack-Diskmanager

:i'm using 3 Harddisks (504 MB Dos, 504 MB Linux, 1.3 GB Dos with
:Ontrack-Diskmanager). The Problem is to use a LiLo-Bootrecord and a
:Ontrack-Bootrecord at the same time

How about installing Lilo somewhere other than on the MBR, such as:

 a) on the Extended partition (if you have one).  Note: This is on
    the Extended partition itself (one of the 4 primaries), *not* on
    a logical drive within the extended partition.  One disadvantage
    is that Norton Disk Doctor will give some mild complaints if it
    finds the Extended partition marked "active."

 b) on a dummy 1-cylinder partition that exists solely as a spot to
    install Lilo.  You can use FIPS to shrink your 504 MB DOS partition
    by one cylinder.

I use (b) just to keep Lilo out of the MBR, even though I'm not running
a disk manager.

--

2. R4P: rlim_fd_max breaks Sun C 4.2

3. Linux and Ontrack DiskManager woes.

4. Network Monitoring Software

5. Ontrack Diskmanager

6. serial mouse problems under XF86 3.2

7. WinNT+Linux 5.2 w/ Ontrack diskmanager

8. Bug in Xpaint

9. OnTrack DiskManager: supported?

10. OnTrack DiskManager & Linux or OS/2??

11. OnTrack Disk Manager and Large IDE drive

12. Linux with Ontrack Diskmanager 7 ?

13. LILO: Linux-IDE#1, DOS-IDE#2 = probs