Serious Partition Problems

Post by HockeyChie » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:01:33

We used to have a 15 gig partition under Windows...I partitioned about half to
Linux and half to Windows when I used fips.  Things went fine, then I decided
to get rid of Linux and put it on another computer instead.  Well, someone
fdisked the partition and did somethning else that really screwed it up.  (I
maybe a newbie but I wouldnt do anything that dumb) so it is still partitioned
but linux is gone, lilo starts at boot cuz mbr wasnt fdisked...but I cant
delete the Linux partition I have tried several partitioning programs.  When I
tried Partition Magic when it loaded it said "Error #48: Sector not found" and
exited.
??
When a separate program of Partition Magic, called PTEDIT, it shows the
partition info as follows:
Drive 1 (16221mb)
                       Starting                               Ending
   Type   Boot        Cyl.     Head    Sector      Cyl.      Head   Sector
1   0C     80             0         1         1            999        254
63
2   05      00         1000       0         1           1023       254       63

---Continued After Above---

   Sectors Before          Sectors
1          63                   16064937
2     16065000             17157420

Is there any way I can edit those values to fix it without screwing up Windows?
 Thanks.
Brian

Post by Davi » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 14:09:38

> We used to have a 15 gig partition under Windows...I partitioned about half to
> Linux and half to Windows when I used fips.  Things went fine, then I decided
> to get rid of Linux and put it on another computer instead.  Well, someone
> fdisked the partition and did somethning else that really screwed it up.  (I
> maybe a newbie but I wouldnt do anything that dumb) so it is still partitioned
> but linux is gone, lilo starts at boot cuz mbr wasnt fdisked...but I cant
> delete the Linux partition I have tried several partitioning programs.  When I
> tried Partition Magic when it loaded it said "Error #48: Sector not found" and
> exited.
> ??
> When a separate program of Partition Magic, called PTEDIT, it shows the
> partition info as follows:
> Drive 1 (16221mb)
> Is there any way I can edit those values to fix it without screwing up Windows?
>  Thanks.
> Brian

Using the installation boot disk and CD, boot the system and follow
through the install up to the partitioning section. Delete all linux
partitions and then choose the "Back" button and save the changes when
asked. Then reboot the system with a windows boot disk and do a:

fdisk /MBR

You will have to format the disk/partition back to the DOS format.

ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.040% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

Serious Partition Problems

Post by HockeyChie » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:06:21

I already tried that with Redhat installer and there was an error
message...something about no drive to partition (sounds bad)

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 16:39:53

> I already tried that with Redhat installer and there was an error
> message...something about no drive to partition (sounds bad)

Sounds bad enough that you would think to take note of it, eh?

Unsupported IDE controller, probably. Don't use dma100 at install. Plug
your disk in somewhere standard.

Peter

1. Serious Serious problem

I have installed Linux and added Lilo, and all went well up until the
Lilo prompt, where it prints LI and hangs with the hard drive light
on.  My question is this:  without completely destroying my drive, how
can I remove Lilo from the disk itself?  I don't remember off hand
whether it's written to the boot record or the superblock - it's late
and I've been wrestling with this all day.  I have a dos partition on
there as well and if I boot from floppy I can access the disk ok, so I
am holding out for some miracle somewhere.  Please, if anyone has any
suggestions, email me please?

(and for those Linux gods and gurus - forgive me, I'm a recovering
Windows user.)

2. Running pppd via telnet link

3. Serious people for a serious solution

4. The truth about the latest delay in Windows NT 5.0

5. Is Linux serious -- or just a serious toy?

6. raki: Installation Problem with kde (SuSE)

7. GCC - serious problem

8. swap

9. serious ISDN/HiSax/Kernel problems in 2.2.13 and 2.2.16

10. Serious problem with RedHat 8

11. softupdates serious problem?

12. Serious font problems with Solaris 2.6

13. Serious problems getting masquerading to work