Bad sound with RH7/CS4237B

Post by ecozz.. » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:00:41

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT, which has a Crystal Semiconductor
4237B sound card. I've been running various incarnations of RedHat  on
it for a few years, but I recently got a bigger hard disk and installed
RedHat 7.0. Now I'm having some weird problems with sound. I frequently
play MP3s, and sometimes when I do certain things when I play MP3s --
such as scroll quickly in Netscape, or type in the editor of a Scheme
development environment that I'm using -- the playback gets distorted.
It sort of sounds like it's "underwater," if that makes any sense. This
occurs both when I play MP3s in XMMS and mpg123. My sound setup on
previous versions of RedHat was identical, and I never had this problem.
I tried installing ALSA, but the problem persists, and I've picked up a
new one: frequently I hear "static," particularly towards the end of MP3
files. Again, this happens with both XMMS and mpg123. The files
themselves are on a read-only NTFS partition, so I know they haven't
been corrupted.

FWIW, here's details on my setup:
RedHat 7.0 (dual-boot with Win2000... don't know if that could make a
difference -- I was dual-booting with Win95 before)
Kernel 2.2.16, CS4237B support compiled as a module (it's the CS4232
module)
ALSA 0.5.10a

I know this is a pretty weird problem, and I probably didn't explain it
very well, but if anyone had a problem at all similar, I'd love to hear
suggestions on what I could do to fix it. I need my MP3s sounding good!
:)

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. RH7 and Crystal CS4237B

Hi,

I'm trying to get RealPlayer audio/video streaming on my
RedHat Linux 7.0 intel system, a dual processor Dell PIII
Precision 610 with an integrated Crystal CS4237B soundchip
(soundblaster compatible).

The error message from the Real Audio 7.01 Unix player is:

"Cannot open audio device, another application may be using it"

How can I determine what other application, if any, is indeed using
the audio device? Is there a test program which will tell me
whether the problem is a hardware or software problem?
I have RealPlayer working fine on RedHat 7 on my laptop, so I know
this is possible as long as the hardware is supported.

Thanks,
Charlie
--

Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100

2. Problems with mgetty + pppd 2.2.0

3. RH7.3 Tyan S2466N Adaptec 3210S Not playing well together...BAD, BAD Boys

4. IBM Tip: Dual-booting Linux

5. CS4237B sound chip now works perfectly

6. User Private Group

7. Crystal CS4237B sound chip support?

8. Yamaha XG 64V Wavetable soundcard compatible?

9. CS4232 driver driving CS4237B -- sound problem solved

10. HP OmniBoox 7100 and CS4237B sound card

11. Sound in Slackware with CS4237B pissing me off

12. cs4237b sound chip ...

13. Crystal CS4237b sound card --- not recognized