Installing Netscape from cd-rom.

Post by Jim Nobl » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I just received a copy of Netscape Communicator 4.04 on CD-ROM.
 I followed the readme file but cannot get the program to run.I unzipped the
tar file and moved the files into their suggested directories and am now at
a loss. The installation instructions are very vague.  Can someone help me
with this? I am using Linux Redhat version 5.0.

Post by Luc Saucie » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I just received a copy of Netscape Communicator 4.04 on CD-ROM.
>  I followed the readme file but cannot get the program to run.I unzipped the
> tar file and moved the files into their suggested directories and am now at
> a loss. The installation instructions are very vague.  Can someone help me
> with this? I am using Linux Redhat version 5.0.

I am surprised that you are using the TAR version instead of the RPM
version.  It is a lot easier to install but...

The version is installing to the /usr/local/netscape directory (as the
128 bits version that I downloaded without RPM support).  If you changed
it to another directory, it*up my system when I tried.

The way to install TAR is to first "gunzip
name_of_the_program_that_is_long.tgz".  After, you tar xvf into a
temporary directory.  After you install it with "ns-install".  It will
delete automatically most of the gunzipped files (installation files).
You can delete the rest.

I hope it help!

Luc Saucier

1. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

Hi,

  I can't install my Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with the following SCSI
related configuration :
  1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
  2) 1 240MB SCSI-2 hard disk
  3) 1 Sound Blaster 16 AIC-6360 sound card
  4) 1 NEC SCSI-1 CD-ROM (I say it is SCSI-1 because ezscsi.exe provided by
     Adaptec detects it as a SCSI-1 one without support for parity checking).

  I have tried to install Linux with the following two configurations :
  1) connect the CD-ROM to SB16 card and the hard disk to 1542C controller :
     I typed the command
     Linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1
     to boot Linux but failed after a long period of detecting my CD-ROM
     and dumped a lot of messages about the queue status.
     I noticed that the parity checking is enabled.

  2) connect the CD-ROM and hard disk to 1542C with parity checking disabled
     while just connect the sound output from CD-ROM to SB16 card only :

     I used the default booting process and it failed a lot faster and told
     me that it can't mount the CD-ROM (kernel panic : unable to mount VFS).

  These two configurations work fine under both OS/2 2.1 and DOS/Windows.

  Now I need help to the following questions :
  1) How can I install Linux using this CD-ROM with such config ?
  2) Which other CD-ROM distribution can I use to install Linux ?

  One of the major reasons to buy CD-ROM is to run Linux. Failing to do so
frustrated me a lot. Please help me !

Thanks in advance,
   Eddie

2. hello

3. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

4. DNS question...

5. Reveal 4XCD-ROM & Slackware 2.3 CD-ROM Install

6. Command prompt trouble,,,

8. AIX verion migration

9. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

10. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

11. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

12. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

13. CD-ROm ? WHat CD-ROM