Crashing on install. Need ide kernel parameters

Crashing on install. Need ide kernel parameters

Post by Joao S. O. Buen » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 02:55:17

Hi,

I've tried to setup a box to my friend, but it
would stop reading from the CD-ROM  as soon
as it got to "second stage install" on mandrake.
Debian -which he tried earlier - also crashed,
and so did a "cool linux CD a CD boot russian
distribution.

However, the drive does work fine under windos,
and under initial setup (it even booted anda
lowed me to log on the Cool Linux CD).

So I suppose that passing some limiting
parameters on IDE usage to the kernel will
make it work.

Just have no idea of what these parameters and
their sintax would be.

Thanx.

        JS
        -><-

Crashing on install. Need ide kernel parameters

Post by mjt » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:27:37

Quote:> I've tried to setup a box to my friend, but it
> would stop reading from the CD-ROM  as soon
> as it got to "second stage install" on mandrake.
> Debian -which he tried earlier - also crashed,
> and so did a "cool linux CD a CD boot russian
> distribution.

since you didnt provide enough information about the machine and
where, exactly, the install stopped, we'd all be guessing. your
reference to the commandline parm, are you looking for:
append "hdX=ide-scsi" ?????

Post by Joao S. O. Buen » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:45:30

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:55:17 -0300, "Joao S. O.

>> I've tried to setup a box to my friend, but it
>> would stop reading from the CD-ROM  as soon
>> as it got to "second stage install" on
>> mandrake. Debian -which he tried earlier - also
>> crashed, and so did a "cool linux CD a CD boot
>> russian distribution.

> since you didnt provide enough information about
> the machine and where, exactly, the install
> stopped, we'd all be guessing. your reference to
> the commandline parm, are you looking for:
> append "hdX=ide-scsi" ?????

It is an ATAPI IDE-CDROM.
The boot stopped, in mandrake, as soon as the
screen displaying
"In second stage install \n loading program into
memory", passed - I guess it is when it loads the
kernel for install in memory, and runs it.
After this screen, it failed to find any other
files in the CD and aborted instalation.

What I'd likec to know is whether I can use
paramenters like
ide=nodma ,and the like. Since the machine works
fine to this point, I think that there is some
optimisation that must be turned off.

Thank you for your answer.

Post by Timothy Murp » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:18:16

Quote:>I've tried to setup a box to my friend, but it
>would stop reading from the CD-ROM  as soon
>as it got to "second stage install" on mandrake.
>Debian -which he tried earlier - also crashed,
>and so did a "cool linux CD a CD boot russian
>distribution.
>However, the drive does work fine under windos,
>and under initial setup (it even booted anda
>lowed me to log on the Cool Linux CD).
>So I suppose that passing some limiting
>parameters on IDE usage to the kernel will
>make it work.

I doubt very much if it is anything like that.
Assuming you have a floppy drive,
I would get tomsrtbt ("Linux on a floppy") --
google will find the latest version --
and see if that can see your hard drive.

Or try RedHat CD.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

Crashing on install. Need ide kernel parameters

Post by mjt » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:05:37

Quote:> What I'd likec to know is whether I can use
> paramenters like
> ide=nodma ,and the like.

yes, just add it at the parameter prompt