Linux Login

Linux Login

Post by Mein Na » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Wer kann mir sagen wie man den Login nach der Neuinstallation erf?hrt oder
wie dieser zu umgehen ist?
Bin Anf?nger und ratlos
Mani Hinterleitner
 
 
 

Linux Login

Post by Richard Zwa » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00




>Wer kann mir sagen wie man den Login nach der Neuinstallation erf?hrt oder
>wie dieser zu umgehen ist?
>Bin Anf?nger und ratlos
>Mani Hinterleitner

Dear Mani Hinterleitner,

If you are so 'ratlos', why didn't you post your question in English?
I'm Dutch but the language on the Internet *is* English. We all have
to adapt.

But anyway, I'll answer this in English. If I understand you correctly
you want to bypass the login screen and get right to your Linux
system. I am an 'Anf?nger' to and as far as I understand having login
screens and having to log in as a user is a essential part of Linux. I
am afraid that you have to live with this.

Kind regards,

Richard Zwart
Edam
The Netherlands

 
 
 

Linux Login

Post by Ali Bahrma » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00


[sorry, had to hack the german to make it 7bit]




>>Wer kann mir sagen wie man den Login nach der Neuinstallation erfdhrt oder
>>wie dieser zu umgehen ist?
>>Bin Anfdnger und ratlos
>>Mani Hinterleitner

> If you are so 'ratlos', why didn't you post your question in English?
> I'm Dutch but the language on the Internet *is* English. We all have
> to adapt.

Actually, I think that people should be able to talk in which ever language
they choose. Why should English become the lingua franca? By all accounts,
it's idiosyncratic (which makes it good for literature -> Shakespeare) but
as a technical language it has many shortcomings (I'm a physics undergrad).

However, your point it still valid. Because of momentum (mainly due to
America I'm afraid) English is what you need to use for most of the net,
although at least it doesn't rely on it.

Not to mention that American English quite often annoys me;

American spelling       Queen's English
color                   colour
gray                    grey

etc...

Esp annoying in HTML when I do (naturally) < FONT COLOUR="White" > or similar
(did that break anyone's mail client?)

Quote:> But anyway, I'll answer this in English. If I understand you correctly
> you want to bypass the login screen and get right to your Linux
> system. I am an 'Anfdnger' to and as far as I understand having login
> screens and having to log in as a user is a essential part of Linux. I
> am afraid that you have to live with this.

I don't think so. The first linux release (more or less) by Mr Torvalds said
something along the lines of;

the system will boot directly into a bash (I think) shell as root, no login
program at this time.

I suspect a little hint around inittab would do the trick since AFAIK all
login does it call bash (or whatever shell you want, via a symlink to
/bin/sh ?) after you've been authenticated.

This is mainly conjecture.

[goes and looks at /etc/inittab]

In fact, it seems getty's are called by init so they probably call login or
similar. This makes sense because to install a serial terminal on my laptop,
all I had to do was to enter a line into inittab calling the right getty,
and this called login AFAIT.

 
 
 

Linux Login

Post by Peter Bradle » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00





> >Wer kann mir sagen wie man den Login nach der Neuinstallation erf?hrt oder
> >wie dieser zu umgehen ist?
> >Bin Anf?nger und ratlos
> >Mani Hinterleitner

> Dear Mani Hinterleitner,

> If you are so 'ratlos', why didn't you post your question in English?
> I'm Dutch but the language on the Internet *is* English. We all have
> to adapt.

> But anyway, I'll answer this in English. If I understand you correctly
> you want to bypass the login screen and get right to your Linux
> system. I am an 'Anf?nger' to and as far as I understand having login
> screens and having to log in as a user is a essential part of Linux. I
> am afraid that you have to live with this.

> Kind regards,

> Richard Zwart
> Edam
> The Netherlands

Richard,

I am Welsh and have to put up with the kind of attitude you display by the
British language fascists every day.  You are free to use whatever language
you choose, including English, and so is Mani, therefore if Mani chooses to
communicate in German then that is fine by me even though I don't speak a
word.  The same goes for people posting in any other language.

I suggest you keep your "masterLanguage" ideas to yourself.

Regards

Peter

 
 
 

Linux Login

Post by Lawrie Walle » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00


I do not want to keep the language war going but I
do hope all the replies to the original poster in
German were of use to him!!!


:
:> On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:47:34 +0100,

:>
:> >Wer kann mir sagen wie man den Login nach der
Neuinstallation erf?hrt oder
:> >wie dieser zu umgehen ist?
:> >Bin Anf?nger und ratlos
:> >Mani Hinterleitner
:> >
:>
:> Dear Mani Hinterleitner,
:>
:> If you are so 'ratlos', why didn't you post
your question in English?
:> I'm Dutch but the language on the Internet *is*
English. We all have
:> to adapt.
:>
:> But anyway, I'll answer this in English. If I
understand you correctly
:> you want to bypass the login screen and get
right to your Linux
:> system. I am an 'Anf?nger' to and as far as I
understand having login
:> screens and having to log in as a user is a
essential part of Linux. I
:> am afraid that you have to live with this.
:>
:> Kind regards,
:>
:> Richard Zwart
:> Edam
:> The Netherlands
:
:Richard,
:
:I am Welsh and have to put up with the kind of
attitude you display by the
:British language fascists every day.  You are
free to use whatever language
:you choose, including English, and so is Mani,
therefore if Mani chooses to
:communicate in German then that is fine by me
even though I don't speak a
:word.  The same goes for people posting in any
other language.
:
:I suggest you keep your "masterLanguage" ideas to
yourself.
:
:Regards
:
:Peter
:

 
 
 

Linux Login

Post by Adrian Ferguso » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Hi Peter,

I think you missed the point re: using english language on the net.

It's not about using the 'best' language, its about using a global language
seeing we are communicating on a global forum.

regds
adrian





> > >Wer kann mir sagen wie man den Login nach der Neuinstallation erf?hrt oder
> > >wie dieser zu umgehen ist?
> > >Bin Anf?nger und ratlos
> > >Mani Hinterleitner

> > Dear Mani Hinterleitner,

> > If you are so 'ratlos', why didn't you post your question in English?
> > I'm Dutch but the language on the Internet *is* English. We all have
> > to adapt.

> > But anyway, I'll answer this in English. If I understand you correctly
> > you want to bypass the login screen and get right to your Linux
> > system. I am an 'Anf?nger' to and as far as I understand having login
> > screens and having to log in as a user is a essential part of Linux. I
> > am afraid that you have to live with this.

> > Kind regards,

> > Richard Zwart
> > Edam
> > The Netherlands

> Richard,

> I am Welsh and have to put up with the kind of attitude you display by the
> British language fascists every day.  You are free to use whatever language
> you choose, including English, and so is Mani, therefore if Mani chooses to
> communicate in German then that is fine by me even though I don't speak a
> word.  The same goes for people posting in any other language.

> I suggest you keep your "masterLanguage" ideas to yourself.

> Regards

> Peter

 
 
 

Linux Login

Post by Peter Bradle » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00



> Hi Peter,

> I think you missed the point re: using english language on the net.

> It's not about using the 'best' language, its about using a global language
> seeing we are communicating on a global forum.

> regds
> adrian





> > > >Wer kann mir sagen wie man den Login nach der Neuinstallation erf?hrt oder
> > > >wie dieser zu umgehen ist?
> > > >Bin Anf?nger und ratlos
> > > >Mani Hinterleitner

> > > Dear Mani Hinterleitner,

> > > If you are so 'ratlos', why didn't you post your question in English?
> > > I'm Dutch but the language on the Internet *is* English. We all have
> > > to adapt.

> > > But anyway, I'll answer this in English. If I understand you correctly
> > > you want to bypass the login screen and get right to your Linux
> > > system. I am an 'Anf?nger' to and as far as I understand having login
> > > screens and having to log in as a user is a essential part of Linux. I
> > > am afraid that you have to live with this.

> > > Kind regards,

> > > Richard Zwart
> > > Edam
> > > The Netherlands

> > Richard,

> > I am Welsh and have to put up with the kind of attitude you display by the
> > British language fascists every day.  You are free to use whatever language
> > you choose, including English, and so is Mani, therefore if Mani chooses to
> > communicate in German then that is fine by me even though I don't speak a
> > word.  The same goes for people posting in any other language.

> > I suggest you keep your "masterLanguage" ideas to yourself.

> > Regards

> > Peter

Substitute "Operating System" for "Language", "MicroSoft" for "English" and
"Linux" for any other language, and you might see a glimmer of light.

Peter

 
 
 

Linux Login

Post by Alexander Kerst » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Nach dem ganzen Wirrwarr um Deutsch und Englisch jetzt mal ne Antwort
auf die Frage: Dein Problem scheint das Root-Passwort zu sein, wenn ich
das richtig verstanden habe. Normalerweise sollte es leer sein, also
einfach <RETURN> druecken.

Now an Answer to the question: Your password seems to be the
Root-password, it should be blank, so just hit <RETURN>.

Good luck / viel Erfolg und Spass,
Alex

Mein Name schrieb:

Quote:

> Wer kann mir sagen wie man den Login nach der Neuinstallation erf?hrt oder
> wie dieser zu umgehen ist?
> Bin Anf?nger und ratlos
> Mani Hinterleitner