Diald, kppp and wvdial

Post by Barry Radlof » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello

I have a strange problem.  When I try to make a connection using kppp or
wvdial I get errors and no connection is made.  Sometimes I get a pppd
interface timedout or modem not responding.  But when I just go into
netscape the dial says hey he wants a connection and starts a connection,
this is fine, but it presents two problems, how do you bring down the diald
gently without killing it and why does it want to connect for no apparent
reason after I am finished surfing?  Netscape is closed at this point so I
am a bit lost...

TIA
Barry Radloff

1. wvdial works, kppp doesn't !

Hi,

I am having trouble with kppp under SuSE 6.2. My system is as follows.

Celeron 333
Gigabyte GA-6BXE motherboard
voodoo 3 2000 AGP graphics card
linux installed on hda with win98 on hdb
Topic 56k external modem on com1

Having installed linux, I tried to make a dial up connection. Using wvdial,
after setting
up my username, password, IP address etc... I had no trouble making a PPP
conection
with my service provider.

So far so good.

Then tried the same with kppp (1.16.10 I think, on KDE 1.1.1), but I always
end up with
the message 'NO CARRIER' before any number is dialled. Can anyone suggest
what could be
the problem. I haven't made any special changes to wither program.

Thanks

Chris

Remove 'nospam.' to reply

P.S. I can attempt to post my config files, but when I do, my modem hangs
(in win98 AND linux)!!

2. ftape ECC errors

3. diald and wvdial

4. 3Dfx Banshee and X

5. wvdial and kppp flaw

6. Sinmple(?) lpr problem in RH 6.0, please help

7. IP Masquerading Redhat 6.1 diald wvdial

8. Calendar Manager & time

9. Newbie wvdial & kppp questions

10. kppp vs wvdial

11. Can't Open Display After KPPP (Fine with Wvdial)

12. Kppp and wvdial

13. Diald and wvdial doesn't work.