RH6 bttv driver is old - how to upgrade without making new kernel?

Post by j.. » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I installed RH6 and all is well. Exept one minor detail which is
>getting annoying: RH6 includes an old (OLD) version of the bttv driver
>for WinTV cards. It works, but some applications nag about it being old.
>Newer drivers are accessible "everywhere" - the latest i know of being
>bttv-0.6.4e, but when I try to compile this i got a message that my
>kernel isn't modular.

[deletia]

        Just download the new bttv driver source, compile it and
        replace the binary drivers that came with RH6. They should
        be in /lib/modules/<version>/misc & be named bttv.o and
        tuner.o.

        There's simply no need to replace the whole kernel. I replaced
        my bttv driver thusly several times (0.5.11 -> 0.6.4) while
        I have been running Redhat 5.x.

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

RH6 bttv driver is old - how to upgrade without making new kernel?

Post by j.. » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> >I installed RH6 and all is well. Exept one minor detail which is
>> >getting annoying: RH6 includes an old (OLD) version of the bttv driver
>> >for WinTV cards. It works, but some applications nag about it being old.
>> >Newer drivers are accessible "everywhere" - the latest i know of being
>> >bttv-0.6.4e, but when I try to compile this i got a message that my

>>         Just download the new bttv driver source, compile it and
>>         replace the binary drivers that came with RH6. They should
>>         be in /lib/modules/<version>/misc & be named bttv.o and
>>         tuner.o.

>>         There's simply no need to replace the whole kernel. I replaced
>>         my bttv driver thusly several times (0.5.11 -> 0.6.4) while
>>         I have been running Redhat 5.x.

>Here's my problem:

>$ make
>(cd driver; make)
>make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dark/bttv-0.6.4e/driver'
>DIR=`pwd`; (cd /usr/src/linux; make SUBDIRS=$DIR modules)
>make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5'

>The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
>Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
>Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

        Just go into the distributions kernel source directory
        and run make xconfig making sure that modules are
        enabled and then save your configuration.

Quote:

>make[2]: *** [modules] Error 1
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5'
>make[1]: *** [here] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dark/bttv-0.6.4e/driver'
>make: *** [bttv] Error 2
>$

>My kernel IS modular. But the sourcefiles don't indicate that, cause
>it's a fresh install and there is no config file to indicate it's
>modular.

>How do i convince the makefile that my system IS modular?

        Yup, they did the same thing in 5.x...

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||
arbitrary point as it's rolling down the road.                       / | \

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

RH6 bttv driver is old - how to upgrade without making new kernel?

Post by j.. » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> >How do i convince the makefile that my system IS modular?

>>         Yup, they did the same thing in 5.x...

>Jeesh. Things would have made life way simpler for people if they
>had bothered to dump a config file based on your original choises
>somewhere.

        Perhaps someone should start a webpage:

        X reasons that Redhat should be slapped silly
        and what you can do about it.

Quote:>Specially since ALL the included documentation indicate that you

--

Post by R.K.A » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I installed RH6 and all is well. Exept one minor detail which is
getting annoying: RH6 includes an old (OLD) version of the bttv driver
for WinTV cards. It works, but some applications nag about it being old.
Newer drivers are accessible "everywhere" - the latest i know of being
bttv-0.6.4e, but when I try to compile this i got a message that my
kernel isn't modular.

It is, however. Very very modular. There's just no indication in the
sources that says it's a modular kernel. I tried to compile a new, which
went OK and even got it way smaller than the original kernel. However,
when I copied that to / and ran lilo etc - it was reported it was too
big. root partition is 100 mb. and on the first partition of the disk,
so it shouldn't have landed outside the lilo-readable sectors either.
Well.

"Things kept going from bad to 'woise", and slowly lead to a reinstall -
i *ed up completely and couldn't boot anymore - boot went into a
loop. It just said "tick" - showed "LILO" and said "tick" again. Etc. I
reinstalled - with a new respect for those who manage to install new
kernels at all.

Somone told that to compile a "copy" of the current kernel; just run
"make oldconfig". But where is that "oldconfig"? As I initially
installed, a kernel WAS made, wasn't it? How on earth do i collect info
about that, enough to reconstruct a proper "oldconfig". If I could do
that, I wouldn't have to mess around, and could just make that "copy"
kernel - the NEW bttv driver would compile and all would be well.
Another reason to want a copy of the existing kernel is that i don't for
my bare life remember what choises i initially made - the ones i have
work fine, more modules installed than I'll ever need, but one never
knows. And after 5 compiles (too big...too big...) I finally got a
profound "kernel-angst" when the loop-boot occured.

Btw...it does seems to somewhat take the point out of modularity when
you have to recompile the whole kernel to upgrade a tiny driver...or
have i misunderstood something here?

To sum it up: Is there any way to "reverse" the current setup to the
point where it provides a config file? I do believe this should have
been provided and saved somewhere after the install - that would be the
"logical" way to do things (in my book) but i've looked everywhere - not
a trace.

K.

RH6 bttv driver is old - how to upgrade without making new kernel?

Post by R.K.A » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >I installed RH6 and all is well. Exept one minor detail which is
> >getting annoying: RH6 includes an old (OLD) version of the bttv driver
> >for WinTV cards. It works, but some applications nag about it being old.
> >Newer drivers are accessible "everywhere" - the latest i know of being
> >bttv-0.6.4e, but when I try to compile this i got a message that my

>         Just download the new bttv driver source, compile it and
>         replace the binary drivers that came with RH6. They should
>         be in /lib/modules/<version>/misc & be named bttv.o and
>         tuner.o.

>         There's simply no need to replace the whole kernel. I replaced
>         my bttv driver thusly several times (0.5.11 -> 0.6.4) while
>         I have been running Redhat 5.x.

Here's my problem:

$ make
(cd driver; make)
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dark/bttv-0.6.4e/driver'
DIR=`pwd`; (cd /usr/src/linux; make SUBDIRS=$DIR modules)
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5'

The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

make[2]: *** [modules] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5'
make[1]: *** [here] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dark/bttv-0.6.4e/driver'
make: *** [bttv] Error 2
$

My kernel IS modular. But the sourcefiles don't indicate that, cause
it's a fresh install and there is no config file to indicate it's
modular.

How do i convince the makefile that my system IS modular?

-
Kristin

RH6 bttv driver is old - how to upgrade without making new kernel?

Post by R.K.A » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >How do i convince the makefile that my system IS modular?

>         Yup, they did the same thing in 5.x...

Jeesh. Things would have made life way simpler for people if they
had bothered to dump a config file based on your original choises
somewhere.
Specially since ALL the included documentation indicate that you
HAVE to build a new kernel to even access the v4l features - while it's
really now a part of the kernel and will install all modules you could
ever dream of. But this isn't exactly mentioned anywhere - had to learn
it the hard way - or...one day u simply wrote "locate bttv" and i2c,
tuner etc.. - and there they were. :P~~

Is the lack of an initial config file a problem with other distributions
too?
I'd be really interested to know which distributions provide you with
one after install.

K.

RH6 bttv driver is old - how to upgrade without making new kernel?

Post by R.K.A » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>         Just go into the distributions kernel source directory
>         and run make xconfig making sure that modules are
>         enabled and then save your configuration.

and of course it worked. "You save my life - you are freind forever" ;)

Kristin.

1. RH6 Upgrade: Will Old Kernel Work?

I'm running RH5.2, and am thinking of upgrading to 6.0.  At the present
I'm running a 2.2.10 kernel, which I compiled myself.

If I upgrade to RH6, will my old kernel still work?  Or will I need
to recompile the kernel after the RH6 upgrade?

Cheers,
John

--
Clones are people two.
John Bowden                             Memorial University of Newfoundland

2. Adding ram to 386; Linux box

3. how to upgrade to new Linux without losing old data/apps ?

4. running ircd on 1.3.60+

5. Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one permanently?

6. Registering for smpatch

7. Upgrading from RH5.2 to RH6.0 and the new kernel??

8. Upgrading on linux

9. Kernel upgrade question: RH6.0 patched to 2.2.13; need new module source?

10. Upgrade RH6.2 w/Software RAID 5 to New kernel problem

11. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

12. I made a new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4:

13. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.