Very slow Linux and X

Post by cj.. » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have Caldera OpenLinux Base 1.1 installed on my NEC Versa 4000D, Chips and Tech. 65545, 40MB RAM, 540MB HDD.  I find that Linux and X runs very slow compared to WinNT 4.0 Workstation installed on that machine.  I know X is supposed to be a multitasking environment (or whatever you call it).  But on my system, it doesn't seem to do the job very well.  Take for example, if I try to install something, and at the same time try to do some other work, it is hardly possible.  This speed is annoyingly slow.  That's why I am just leaving that machine and use NT 4.0 on another machine instead.  Is there a way to speed things up a bit?

C. J. Tan

Date: 06/21/97  Time: 18:41:04
Department of Geomatics Engineering
The University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta
Canada T2N 1N4

Disclaimer:
All the above is my personal opinion.  It does not represent the opinion of The University of Calgary, the Faculty of Engineering, nor the Dept. of Geomatics Engineering and shall not be held liable in any case of injury.  Take my opinion and suggestions at your own risk as I shall not be liable for any damages caused.  My opinion is not a professional opinion.