Where to set DNS??

Post by Stearns » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello all,

We have just set up sendmail 8.9.3 in our RH 6 box.  How do we tell Linux to
use the DNS in our ISP since we have not set up our own DNS?  Is
/etc/resolv.conf the place to list the name server?

thanks for any info.

-Stearns

Where to set DNS??

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> We have just set up sendmail 8.9.3 in our RH 6 box.  How do we tell Linux to
> use the DNS in our ISP since we have not set up our own DNS?  Is
> /etc/resolv.conf the place to list the name server?

Yes.  The format is

nameserver MM.NNN.PP.Q

where MM.NNN.PP.Q is the *numerical* address of the server.

--

1. how to set DNS resolving timeout

Sometimes a WWW server address is no longer valid, and resolving it
(or rather failing to resolve it) takes too much time.

Is there some way to set the maximum time a DNS query (eg.
gethostbyname(3)) will wait before it times out?

The resolv.conf(5) man page doesn't seem to have something relevant.

2. Reg Exp containing []

3. Setting DNS on a sun station.

4. Segmentation fault in configure

5. How to set DNS for one fixed IP only

6. Need Consultant ASAP for SNA help

7. setting DNS IP?

8. Strange log messages

9. How to set DNS client/server Sun Ultra/Solaris 7

10. Setting dns ip in linux proxy server

11. Please talk to me How can I set DNS server with "-k.nu".

12. Need help in setting DNS

13. Setting DNS IP on RS6000?