(kind-of OT) hard disk detection problem

(kind-of OT) hard disk detection problem

Post by VS » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 00:52:13

I know this isn't the right forum for this but I'm getting desperate.
Correction, I AM desperate.
I just got a new 40 gig HD (Maxtor) to replace my old 2G one. The
BIOS fails to detect it, probably because it's just too big. I got
the latest BIOS patch from Epox (the MB is Epox 3wxm), which didn't
help. Then I heard that you can trick the BIOS to detect it by
giving it '1025' as the disk cylinder count, and then later do
something clever to regain the true disk space. Sure enough, I got
it detected with a capacity of 504 megs, but I have no idea what to
do next. I somehow want to get the entire 40 gigs out so I can stuff
in a Win95/Mandrake double-boot. Any ideas? I can't possibly be the
first one having this problem!

(kind-of OT) hard disk detection problem

Post by kash » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:09:45

can you get linux to boot from the 504 partition?

if you can't use a boot disk and see what you get out
of fdisk on that drive... to do that get to a prompt
and type:

fdisk /dev/hda

the hda part i am guessing... on linux your first disk is usually hda...

> I know this isn't the right forum for this but I'm getting desperate.
> Correction, I AM desperate.
> I just got a new 40 gig HD (Maxtor) to replace my old 2G one. The
> BIOS fails to detect it, probably because it's just too big. I got
> the latest BIOS patch from Epox (the MB is Epox 3wxm), which didn't
> help. Then I heard that you can trick the BIOS to detect it by
> giving it '1025' as the disk cylinder count, and then later do
> something clever to regain the true disk space. Sure enough, I got
> it detected with a capacity of 504 megs, but I have no idea what to
> do next. I somehow want to get the entire 40 gigs out so I can stuff
> in a Win95/Mandrake double-boot. Any ideas? I can't possibly be the
> first one having this problem!

1. Hard disk detection problem in Debian

Hi,
 I'm trying to install Debian Linux 2.1 on an old Pentium 90 with a
western digital hard disk. After getting the boot: prompt from the
rescue diskette, it begins loading Linux but then I get an error about
the hard disks ports already being in use. The exact screen dump is
below:

ide: i82371 PIIX(Triton) on PCI Bus 0 Function 57
        ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1f0-01f7
        hda: ERROR, PORTS ALREADY IN USE

Can someone please let me know how I could get about troubleshooting
this error ? Needless to add, the hard disk does not get detected and so

Thanks
Abhay Gidwani

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. t_*() calls vs. sockets on Solaris

3. Hard Disk Detection Problem

4. laptop pcmcia ethernet 3c589D

5. Hard disk detection Problem in Debian 2.1

6. Ethernet Interface configuration on DG-UX

7. hard disk bad block detection routine

8. how to find whether my HD is good or bad

9. hard disk detection

10. Fwd: Re: OT: svscan and the hard disk

11. internal hard disk detection

12. OT: current hard disks compatibile with old controllers?

13. hard-disc access detection