Linux / Compaq ProSignia VS / NCR 53c710 embedded SCSI controller

Linux / Compaq ProSignia VS / NCR 53c710 embedded SCSI controller

Post by Michele Nicosi » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

I have a prosignia 500 with 53c710 too and slackware 3.4 works great without

any strange problems. The scsi is recognized 53c7xx,8xx and the network card
is lance 32 network
card.It is a good pc different than the proliant that a lot of prblems with
linux.BTW the prosignia series is fully functional with linux.IF i recompile

the kernel with pci otpitmization all the non correted kernel report are
gone away, and i used to start the scsinet.s file from sunsite.The kernel is

2.0.33.

1. Compaq ProSignia with NCR 53c710 SCSI

I have a Compaq ProSignia VS with an onboard NCR 53c710, which LILO is
failing to pick up. How do I get Linux to see it? (According to the
BIOS, its IO port is 0x8000, IRQ is 11, but I cannot find out the DMA
channel if there is one)

I've been looking through HOWTOs for about a day now and I can't
figure it out. From the boot prompt, I tried 'ramdisk
NCR53c710=0x8000,11' but that made no difference.

Also, I borrowed an Adaptec 1522 but this card cannot send a Start
Unit command, which the Compaq internal HD requires to spin up. Next I
tried a 1542 - this time the disk spins up, but now I get 'disk not
ready' errors when reading files. I could reformat my HD, but hey,
what good is a 'standard' where a HD formatted using one SCSI card
cannot be used with another? Is this behaviour normal, or are things
really screwed up here?

Please CC so I can sort out this mess asap.

Thanks,

+-----------------------------------+--------------------------------+

| Interactive Learning Productions  |  As simple as possible,        |
| Newcastle upon Tyne, UK           |   But no simpler. - A.Einstein |
+-----------------------------------+--------------------------------+

2. XFree86 is dead!!

3. Help in installing on Compaq Prosignia w/ NCR 53c710 SCSI

4. LILO for Redhat help please

5. Red Hat 5.1 on Prosignia VS with NCR-53C710 SCSI

6. Running Tru64 on Alpha XL 366 possible?

7. Compaq Prosignia (NCR 53c710) EISA PC server and Linux - HELP!

8. Ethernet cables work better!

9. Compaq SCSI Controller (NCR 53c710) is not recognized?

10. NCR 53C710 & NCR 53C94 SCSI controller

11. NCR 53C710 / EISA / Compaq Prosignia/Proliant