Free software listings?

Post by Andre » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Is there a site anywhere that gives a list of software packages that are
available for download and what function they perform? It would make it
a lot easier to experiment with different apps if it was easy to find
them.
--
Andrew Arbon

http://www.gatekeeper.demon.co.uk/

Free software listings?

Post by Alan J. Wyli » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Is there a site anywhere that gives a list of software packages that are
> available for download and what function they perform? It would make it
> a lot easier to experiment with different apps if it was easy to find
> them.

Can I be the first of many to say:

freshmeat:
http://uk.eu.mirrors.freshmeat.net/

also, the ever useful Gary's Encyclopedia:
http://members.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

and:
http://www.linuxapps.com/
http://www.linuxhq.com/lsm/
http://www.boutell.com/lsm/
http://www.informatics.sintef.no/~helged/linux_ref.html

Free software listings?

Post by Clive DaSil » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Andrew

try www.freshmeat.org

Good site (depspite the name ;))   ))

Clive

>Hello,

>Is there a site anywhere that gives a list of software packages that are
>available for download and what function they perform? It would make it
>a lot easier to experiment with different apps if it was easy to find
>them.
>--
>Andrew Arbon

>http://www.gatekeeper.demon.co.uk/

Clive DaSilva CMA

Homepage: http://www.Geocities.com/Broadway/2207

Free software listings?

Post by Alan Flana » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:53:58 +0000,

>Hello,

>Is there a site anywhere that gives a list of software packages that are
>available for download and what function they perform? It would make it
>a lot easier to experiment with different apps if it was easy to find
>them.
>--
>Andrew Arbon

>http://www.gatekeeper.demon.co.uk/

Try http://www.linuxberg.com it is run by the TUCOWS folks and is nicely
organized by X and console software.
--
Alan Flanary

remove NOSPAM for e-mail reply

1. OpenLinx: free software listing for all platforms

[ I posted this earlier without success; probably moderated due to cross
posting. Hopefully better now. Email address is valid. ]

OpenLinx is a no-ads, no tricks, free service for software developers:
http://www.pc-tools.net/openlinx/

OpenLinx only lists sites that carry free downloadable software. Started in
1998, this project aims to give both large companies and individual
software developers alike equal exposure to technically-savvy visitors.

There's lots of Windows software in the list but I'm hoping to see more
GNU, UNUX-like (+Linux) and Mac software. Hence the posts to these two
groups.

If you're a software developer and would like to add your site to the list
of links (or even if you just want to recommend a project you really like),
use the "Add your site to OpenLinx" link at the top of the list. I recently
re-wrote all the underlying CGI code to reduce abuse, multiple entries,
companies hogging the list, etc.

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.pc-tools.net/

2. Why is sh acting up?

3. New Organization to Serve Free Software Community: Free Software Union

4. /dev/null permissions

5. WWW: Unmaintained Free Software -- an Index of orphaned Free Software projects

6. videosetup problems

7. Software Package Free! ... about our Free Software

8. Strange Behaviour

9. Free Systems Phylosophy vs. Free Software Philosophy

10. free developer - please help sociologically free software survey

11. Software Available Free: free text searching engine for WEB server

12. Free Software Needs Free Documentation