vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Jon N. Steig » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

    I have a question about the boot image.  On my system, it is /vmlinuz.
Now, when I want to recompile the kernel, I do a make config (if nescessary),
then 'make dep', 'make clean', and 'make'.  This creates the file 'vmlinux'.
I copied this to /vmlinuz, but lilo is complaining that it is too big.
Anyway, is this the right way for me to recompile the kernel?  Where does
the vmlinux come from if the image is supposed to be vmlinuz??

   I'm very confused... Can someone explain this to me?  I'd appreciate it!

   Thanks!

                                              -Jon-

  .-------------------------------------------------------------------.
  |  Jon Steiger  ==  DoD# 1038  ==  USUA# A46209  ==  KotWitDoDFAQ   |

  |  '91 3000GT VR-4, '91 FZR600R    /* Just another mangy hacker */  |
  `-------------------------------------------------------------------'

vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Karl_Kleinpa.. » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>     I have a question about the boot image.  On my system, it is /vmlinuz.
> Now, when I want to recompile the kernel, I do a make config (if nescessary),
> then 'make dep', 'make clean', and 'make'.  This creates the file 'vmlinux'.
> I copied this to /vmlinuz, but lilo is complaining that it is too big.

Re-read the Kernel HOWTO.  The last make step should be "make zImage".

vmlinux is the uncompressed version; it is compressed for lilo usage.

vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Nathan C. Burne » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

:
:
:     I have a question about the boot image.  On my system, it is /vmlinuz.
: Now, when I want to recompile the kernel, I do a make config (if nescessary),
: then 'make dep', 'make clean', and 'make'.  This creates the file 'vmlinux'.
: I copied this to /vmlinuz, but lilo is complaining that it is too big.
: Anyway, is this the right way for me to recompile the kernel?  Where does
: the vmlinux come from if the image is supposed to be vmlinuz??
:
:    I'm very confused... Can someone explain this to me?  I'd appreciate it!
:
:    Thanks!
:
vmlinuz is the compress version of vmlinux.  To install a new vmlinux go
to /usr/src/linux and do a make zlilo.

l8r, Nate
---
Nathan C. Burnett          "Nature Cannot be fooled"

vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Christofer C. Be » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

:     I have a question about the boot image.  On my system, it is /vmlinuz.
: Now, when I want to recompile the kernel, I do a make config (if nescessary),
: then 'make dep', 'make clean', and 'make'.  This creates the file 'vmlinux'.
: I copied this to /vmlinuz, but lilo is complaining that it is too big.
: Anyway, is this the right way for me to recompile the kernel?  Where does
: the vmlinux come from if the image is supposed to be vmlinuz??

:    I'm very confused... Can someone explain this to me?  I'd appreciate it!

:    Thanks!

:                                               -Jon-

Use the command 'make zlilo' to compile a compressed kernel and run lilo
on it unattended.  Good luck!

|  Christofer C. Bell - EECS Major - University of Kansas - Lawrence, Kansas  |

vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Dimitri Maziu » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>:
>: the vmlinux come from if the image is supposed to be vmlinuz??
>:
>:    I'm very confused... Can someone explain this to me?  I'd appreciate it!
>:
>:    Thanks!
>:
>vmlinuz is the compress version of vmlinux.  To install a new vmlinux go
>to /usr/src/linux and do a make zlilo.

The README for the kernel states, btw, that you should
'make zImage' or 'make zlilo', not just 'make' ( 'z' means
compressed kernel image, which uncompresses itself when
an uncompressed image won't work.

Cheers.
Dimitri

vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Stas » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

:     I have a question about the boot image.  On my system, it is /vmlinuz.
: Now, when I want to recompile the kernel, I do a make config (if nescessary),
: then 'make dep', 'make clean', and 'make'.  This creates the file 'vmlinux'.
: I copied this to /vmlinuz, but lilo is complaining that it is too big.
: Anyway, is this the right way for me to recompile the kernel?  Where does
: the vmlinux come from if the image is supposed to be vmlinuz??

:    I'm very confused... Can someone explain this to me?  I'd appreciate it!

Yeah, I've just recompiled the kernel on my machine for the first time
and found this to be confusing as well.

After you use "make dep; make clean", type "make zImage".

What I found confusing about my recompilation is that it created a new
"/vmlinuz" for one time that I had tried. Another time, I had to go
into my subdirectory "/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot" to find the file
"zImage" which I copied to "/vmlinuz" before running "/sbin/lilo".

I don't recall what it was that I had done differently between these
two instances. I wanted to compile two versions of the kernel, one
that would only use the lower 16 megs of RAM and another that could
access all of the RAM on my system.

ED...

vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Billy Ch » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>> come from if the image is supposed to be vmlinuz??  : : I'm very
>> confused... Can someone explain this to me?  I'd appreciate it!  :
>> : Thanks!  : vmlinuz is the compress version of vmlinux.  To
>> install a new vmlinux go to /usr/src/linux and do a make zlilo.

Dimitri> The README for the kernel states, btw, that you should 'make
Dimitri> zImage' or 'make zlilo', not just 'make' ( 'z' means
Dimitri> compressed kernel image, which uncompresses itself when
Dimitri> loading. )  And there is also something to the effect that an
Dimitri> uncompressed image won't work.

Just do a `make zImage' then copy the file
`/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage' (the path may be slightly
wrong) to wherever you want.  It's fully documented in the README of
the kernel source and the Kernel-HOWTO.

/Billy

vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Sean Alan Snyd » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

:
: After you use "make dep; make clean", type "make zImage".
:
: What I found confusing about my recompilation is that it created a new
: "/vmlinuz" for one time that I had tried. Another time, I had to go
: into my subdirectory "/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot" to find the file
: "zImage" which I copied to "/vmlinuz" before running "/sbin/lilo".
:

I followed these steps, but when I entered "make zImage", it went through
all of the directories as expected, but then I got an error in
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot when compiling bootsector.c and
linking the resulting object file.

Apparently It could not find as86 in order to finish the compilation.
Where can I get this as86 prgram (and ld86, which is also mentioned in the
Makefile in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot).

I am trying to compile kernel 1.2.11 with gcc2.7.0, libc-5.0.9, and
binutils-2.5.2l.17.  I am currently running 1.1.59 kernel if that matters.

Thanks!

Sean

--

http://www.me.mtu.edu/~snyder/index.html| %  Hit any user to continue  %  \  /
http://www.me.mtu.edu/~snyder/resume.ps | %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%   \/

vmlinux VS vmlinuz??

Post by Dimitri Maziu » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Sorry for posting it twice -- this damned netscape...

1. vmlinux vs vmlinuz

After upgrading to RH6.0, we find we have a vmlinuz-... of about
650K and a vmlinux-... of about 1.5 M.   Also, when we upgraded
the kernel using the upgrade rpm package, we again got two
such kernels.  rpm -qlp on the .rpm file shows both files.

Our conjecture is that vmlinux is the uncompressed kernel.
But what is it there for?   I tried making it an option in lilo,
but lilo complained that it was too big.

2. Serial Login

3. Rebuild 1.1.81 & have vmlinuz &vmlinux

4. STREAM resources don't get released -- Help needed

5. EMERGENCY:lost vmlinuz only have vmlinux

6. socklen_t errors

7. vmlinuz, vmlinux and xImage...Difference?

8. problems in gcc

9. zImage, vmlinux & vmlinuz

10. vmlinuz --> vmlinux ??

11. zImage, vmlinux, vmlinuz - which one...?

12. In regards to ANS is vmlinux.coff and vmlinux the same???

13. vmlinux vs. zImage