df gives error message

Post by Pamela L. Mill » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

When I try to use df -k I get an error message refering to not being able
to find the mount table.

1.  What is it looking for?
2.  Where should it be located?
3.  If it doesn't exist, how can I generate this table?

du seems to work just fine.

Can anyone help?

Mark Miller

df gives error message

Post by Oliver Brand » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> When I try to use df -k I get an error message refering to not being able
> to find the mount table.

> 1.  What is it looking for?

all currently mounted filesystems are listed in this file

Quote:> 2.  Where should it be located?

/etc/mtab

Quote:> 3.  If it doesn't exist, how can I generate this table?

reboot the machine should help (if there is no error in
your boot-scripts, that causes the problem)

Quote:

> du seems to work just fine.

> Can anyone help?

> Mark Miller

ob

df gives error message

Post by Pamela L. Mill » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Ok, /etc/mtab is there but is empty.  How do I build this file to make it
useful?

I'm a bit dismayed at how hard the simplest things are to do with my
Linux system.  I'm motivated to learn but I was hoping to be learning to
do the big things in the Unix world not the ones which should be
automatic.

Mark

df gives error message

Post by Andries Brouw » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: Ok, /etc/mtab is there but is empty.  How do I build this file to make it
: useful?

: I'm a bit dismayed at how hard the simplest things are to do with my
: Linux system.  I'm motivated to learn but I was hoping to be learning to
: do the big things in the Unix world not the ones which should be
: automatic.

: Mark

Well, Mark/Pamela - these simple things will all be right
automatically if you just install some standard distribution
like RedHat. If you do things `by hand' you must know all
the details yourself.

Concerning /etc/mtab: that is filled automatically by mount,
unless you invoke mount with the -n flag.
You need not touch it, once it exists.

df gives error message

Post by The Moshing Drag » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Ok, /etc/mtab is there but is empty.  How do I build this file to make it
>useful?

>I'm a bit dismayed at how hard the simplest things are to do with my
>Linux system.  I'm motivated to learn but I was hoping to be learning to
>do the big things in the Unix world not the ones which should be
>automatic.

That SHOULD have been done for you, what Distribution are you using?
--

   John Dobak   | The Mighty Moshing Miscontented Malcontent of Discontention

 Moshing Dragon | Keeper of the Sacred Coal Bucket
 --==(UDIC)==-- | Master of the Dreaded Pez Legions of Rectalia  -><-
             http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/6806/

1. df gives error in 0.99 pl10

I have just upgraded to pl10, and now I find that df doesn't work.  It says
df: cannot read table of mounted filesystems.

I have the following lines in my /etc/rc, which may be relevant:

/bin/rm -f /etc/mtab* /etc/nologin /etc/utmp
/bin/rdev > /etc/mtab
/bin/mount -av
mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /dos

I'm using the standard (minix) filesystem on /dev/hda2.

I'd be very grateful for a reply by email, if anyone can help.

Steve

--

Yorkshire, UK

2. W3C Arena browser for SCO 3.0 is here.

3. ipautofw gives error message : setsockopt: Protocol not available and masquerading works fine!

4. recording input with GUS-MAX

5. Ping gives wierd error message

6. sources for ncftp and pine

7. QUESTION: ifconfig eth0 gives me an error message - why?

8. tar problem on AIX 4.2.1

9. xman gives error message when launched ?

10. Gated gives me error messages but still functions OK..??

11. recompliled kernel gives error message: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2 ?

12. redhat 5.2 cron gives error messages

13. Idtune giving a strange error message