Preparing linux on another system than it is later used on

Post by dav.. » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:28:54

> And it should work or not???

It could be that the format of the first HD controller is not recognized
from the second one, it's quite an uncommon problem, but it could happen.

Otherwise (given that everything else is similar) you should be able to
run without problems.

Davide

Post by dav.. » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:16:32

> ...could you explain this a bit

Well, it happens to me more than once, after partitioning and formatting
an Hard disk on machine with controller "A", moved same hard disk on
another machine, and controller "B" couldn't see the partition at all.
It keep saying that the disk wasn't formatted!

My reading was that the partitioning done by controller "A" was not
compatible with controller "B".

Davide

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:44:16

>> ...could you explain this a bit
> Well, it happens to me more than once, after partitioning and formatting
> an Hard disk on machine with controller "A", moved same hard disk on
> another machine, and controller "B" couldn't see the partition at all.
> It keep saying that the disk wasn't formatted!

This can only happen with scsi controllers, not ide.

Peter

Preparing linux on another system than it is later used on

Post by dav.. » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:06:25

Quote:> This can only happen with scsi controllers, not ide.

Trust me, they were both IDE.

Davide

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:28:07

> >> ...could you explain this a bit
> > Well, it happens to me more than once, after partitioning and formatting
> > an Hard disk on machine with controller "A", moved same hard disk on
> > another machine, and controller "B" couldn't see the partition at all.
> > It keep saying that the disk wasn't formatted!

> This can only happen with scsi controllers, not ide.

> Peter

Umm. Not quite. Some IDE controllers are not compatible with some kernels.
For example, the Promise IDE RAID controllers have been difficult to
support, and newer chipsets on them often aren't compatible with older
kernels.

Also, if you change the drive location from first-controller/first-drive on
one machine to something else on the other, you'd better make sure you get
the MBR set up correctly and the /etc/fstab pointing to the correct
partitions before moving the machine over.

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 22:31:54

>> This can only happen with scsi controllers, not ide.
> Trust me, they were both IDE.

Then I do believe it's impossible. Or at least, they must have been
very very old "ide" controllers, possibly rll?

Peter

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 22:33:57

>> > Well, it happens to me more than once, after partitioning and formatting
>> > an Hard disk on machine with controller "A", moved same hard disk on
>> > another machine, and controller "B" couldn't see the partition at all.
>> > It keep saying that the disk wasn't formatted!

>> This can only happen with scsi controllers, not ide.
> Umm. Not quite. Some IDE controllers are not compatible with some kernels.

That's different. We're not talking about o/s's here, but about disks
and their communication with their controllers.

Quote:> Also, if you change the drive location from first-controller/first-drive on
> one machine to something else on the other, you'd better make sure you get
> the MBR set up correctly and the /etc/fstab pointing to the correct

This is all irrelevant. We're not talking about mbr's either! We're
talking about the controllers understanding what the disk says to
them.

Peter