redefining group id's in /etc/group ???

Post by Manfred D. M. Seve » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello all,

I've NFS mounted some volumes from my PC Redhat 6.1 Linux server onto some
rather old Sun workstations, running SunOS.

I've noticed a few warnings about file/directory permissions on the Linux
server console.

I think the problem is related to an inconsistency between group id's on
Linux versus the Sun workstations.

I would like to edit the /etc/group file on Linux to make the group id's
agree with the ones the Sun has defined in its /etc/group file.

Is it OK to modify the group id's in Linux /etc/group ????  I need to change
id's for groups like "wheel", "bin", etc.

Any other suggestions for getting around file permission problems of this
sort?

Thanks in advance,

Manfred.

1. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)

Is there a way to do something like the following:

/etc/group
----------------
staff:*:10:
student:*:20:
staff+student:*:staff,student
guest:*:40:

That is, I'd like to be able to create a file
owned by "staff+student".  Then users in the "staff"
group or in the "student" group could access the
file.  But users in "guest" could not access the file.

Jeff Rodriguez

2. Newsreader for X

3. /etc/group groups inside of groups?

4. AIC79xx driver question

5. change group id for all files of a given group name ?

6. libtermcap question

7. Figuring out basic groups and group ids for a new linux system

8. SHMMAX Value

9. ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

10. /etc/passwd & /etc/group behaviour with 'rsh'

11. /etc/passwd & /etc/group with 'rsh'

12. Huge group (/etc/group)

13. manually delting group from /etc/group