Need Printer Support!

Post by Robb M Priestle » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 05:04:56

I recently added a Slackware 7 Linux system to my system, making the system
dual-boot using the LinLoad utility.

I'm a bit of a newbie, but I know enough to be able to get stuff working
most of the time. However, I'm having a significant problem getting printer
support happening. Here's the story...

When I installed, the kernel was 2.2.13. My optical USB mouse didn't work. I
downloaded the usb.s 2.2.19 kernel and booted with it. After a bit of
tinkering, I was able to get the mouse working (with gpm etc). Everything
looks pretty good on the boot up. But nowhere is the parallel port or
printer detected. I have tried a number of things in an attempt to get the
printer recognized.

1. I downloaded the source for the 2.2.19 kernel and compiled a new kernel
with parallel port. Bingo! The printer works. But the mouse stopped
working!!! I'm not sure, but I think there is some kind of conflict or issue
regarding the mouse and the kernel I compiled.

2. I went back to using the default usb.s 2.2.19 kernel. OK mouse is back.
Still no printer (of course). Actually, I would like to use the usb.s kernel
because I don't fully trust myself to be able to make a bulletproof kernel.
So I decided to try using loadable modules to load the parallel port and
printer support.

-I went into make menuconfig and set all the parallel port/printer stuff
(except parallel port IDE options) to M for loadable module.

-Saved config. Back at command prompt I did

make modules
rm -rf /lib/modules/2.2.19/
make modules_install

this was based on the advice of the Slackware FAQ.

-Then rebooting, I get these "unresolved symbol" errors in the boot process
with direct reference to the lp.o, parport.o, parport_pc.o and a couple
other *.o modules in the /lib/modules/2.2.19 directory. It especially
doesn't seem to like "parport".

Basically, all I want to do is have my printer available for use. I would
like to keep using the standard usb.s kernel that I downloaded, because it
likes my optical mouse. Any advice would be most useful.

Thanks!!!

P.S. this article is being dual-posted to alt.os.linux.slackware and
comp.os.linux.setup.

Need Printer Support!

Post by Robb M Priestle » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 02:48:30

OK, I figured it out. I just kept recompiling the kernel until I hit on the
right selection of options. Seems that regular mouse support clashes with
USB mouse support... Thanks anyways!

1. Need Printer Support

[...]

2. Setting up Appletalk

3. Need support hooking Xerox 4235 printer on AIX 4.1.4

4. hep me??? linux windoze issue?????

5. rh5.2 printer support needed either for...

6. make config with 1.1.54

7. SMB Printer w/o linux printer support?

8. Help! (elm mailer)

9. Looking for a new printer that easy to maintain, supported in Debian/Linux, & supports LPT.

10. I need someone to build a printer driver for an inkjet printer

11. Need Mach64 support and wireless modem support

12. ISDN modem support -- Need help - what is supported

13. NEED: I need a win95 TELNET client that supports SCO ANSI emultation.