HELP: How to stop kernel from scanning defective onboard SCSI contoller?

HELP: How to stop kernel from scanning defective onboard SCSI contoller?

Post by Roy Batt » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

It should be possible to disable the onboard controller
in your Motherboard's BIOS setup.
- Roy

> Is there a way to tell the kernel that is should disregard the old
> SCSI HA in this respect?

> Win95 boots and works o.k. with the new HA.

> Thanks in advance for any pointers,
> Stephan

 In a world without fences and walls
 who needs gates and windows?

HELP: How to stop kernel from scanning defective onboard SCSI contoller?

Post by Roy Batt » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

You could do it the hard way and patch the kernel sources ...
(Me, I'm not aware of another solution now. Anyone else?)

Have a look at the PCI-adapter-detection code in aic7xxx.c
(which is located in /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/).
There is somewhere a line that starts with

   while (!(pcibios_find_device( ...

Just replace "while" with "if". Recompile the kernel and you are done.

If you are not able to boot your machine into Linux right now,
you will have to find another Linux machine for compiling
a new kernel.

Good luck,
  Roy

> Hi Roy,

> It *is* possible to disable the onboard controller in the BIOS setup,
> and I did that alright, but the kernel still finds it and tries to scan for
> attached devices...

> Any other ideas? :-)

1. Buslogic Scsi Contoller kernel config

I've just installed FBSD 3.3 on a pc with a Buslogic BT-946c pci scsi
contoller.  It's running OK with the stock kernel, but I obviously want to
build a custom config.  What should I enter in the kernel config file to
support this controller ?  In GENERIC there is :
controller bt0 at isa? port "IO_BT0" bio irq ? vector btintr
but this looks like it's for an isa card only.  Where can I find the correct
entry ?  Thanks for any info.
--
Matt

2. Running 2 * 33.6 Modems giving 67.2kbps?

3. Kernel support for AIC-7895 SCSI contoller?

4. Cant get tex to work

5. Defective RZ1000 chip sign-up list (Defective Motherboard)

6. Convert script to binary

7. redhat 5.1 install never exits & scsi timeouts scsi scan - help please

8. Conducting research on this newsgroup (please read)

9. Problem with onboard SCSI when recompiling kernel

10. Absolute best VESA SCSI 2 contoller?

11. Installing Slackware 4.0 with IBM SCSI Contoller

12. Compaq Smartstation SCSI contoller (LTE ELITE)

13. Redhat 5.2 on Compaq Proliant 2000 not recongize SCSI contoller