no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by lemah.. » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

A friend of mine is trying to put Linux on a Tandy 486 machine,
made before 1994 (sorry about the vagueness, but I'm hoping
I can still get some general info!)  He's using the
Slackware CD-ROM that came out in Dec 1995, I believe.  When
booting from any of the boot disks made from this release,
he sees an error message something like:

   No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on them. Sorry.

If anyone could shed some light on what we need to do to about this,
I'd very much appreciate it.  Do we just need some updated BIOS?

Paul

                            Paul LeMahieu

http://paradise.caltech.edu/~lemahieu              818-395-3012 (work)

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by Mark Melo » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

    funhog> Hello, A friend of mine is trying to put Linux on a Tandy
    funhog> 486 machine, made before 1994 (sorry about the vagueness,
    funhog> but I'm hoping I can still get some general info!)  He's
    funhog> using the Slackware CD-ROM that came out in Dec 1995, I
    funhog> believe.  When booting from any of the boot disks made
    funhog> from this release, he sees an error message something
    funhog> like:

    funhog>    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on
    funhog> them. Sorry.

    funhog> If anyone could shed some light on what we need to do to
    funhog> about this, I'd very much appreciate it.  Do we just need
    funhog> some updated BIOS?

    funhog> Paul

    funhog> ______________________________________________________________________
    funhog> Paul LeMahieu

    funhog> http://paradise.caltech.edu/~lemahieu 818-395-3012 (work)
    funhog> ______________________________________________________________________
    funhog>

Mr. LeMahieu:

If your friend is half the genius I think he is, then he's probably using
a Tandy MMPC Model 10 computer.

Your friend is probably also having trouble trying to get Linux and DOS
to agree on the specifics of his Western Digital 1.2 GM hard drive as well
since DOS can 'see' all 2484 cylinders thanks to Ontrack Disk Manager and
Linux can't.  But that may be a seperate problem...

Best of luck to you and your awesome friend,
Mark

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by Craig Evan » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

> A friend of mine is trying to put Linux on a Tandy 486 machine,
> made before 1994 (sorry about the vagueness, but I'm hoping
[ snip ]
>    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on them. Sorry.

> If anyone could shed some light on what we need to do to about this,
> I'd very much appreciate it.  Do we just need some updated BIOS?

Don't worry about a new bios. I had the same problem when I installed
Linux recently.
For starters - ignore the error. The BIOS 32 message is in reference to
the a routine that that detects whether you have a PC with a PCI bus or
not.

When you do the install, make sure that you include the Kernel source
code, and compile a new kernel without PCI support. You need some
knowledge of the hardware to do this, but the howto's cover it quite well.
Once you have done this, you shouldn't get the BIOS32 error (but you will
uncover a whole slew of new problems - but thats the fun of Linux 8^)

Regards,
CSE.

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by Tim Ke » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: no BIOS 32 extensions
>Date: 09 Jul 1996 22:31:02 -0700

>    funhog> Hello, A friend of mine is trying to put Linux on a Tandy
>    funhog> 486 machine, made before 1994 (sorry about the vagueness,
>    funhog> but I'm hoping I can still get some general info!)  He's
>    funhog> using the Slackware CD-ROM that came out in Dec 1995, I
>    funhog> believe.  When booting from any of the boot disks made
>    funhog> from this release, he sees an error message something
>    funhog> like:
>    funhog>    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on
>    funhog> them. Sorry.
>    funhog> If anyone could shed some light on what we need to do to
>    funhog> about this, I'd very much appreciate it.  Do we just need
>    funhog> some updated BIOS?
>    funhog> Paul
>    funhog> ______________________________________________________________________
>    funhog> Paul LeMahieu

>    funhog> http://paradise.caltech.edu/~lemahieu 818-395-3012 (work)
>    funhog> ______________________________________________________________________
>    funhog>
>Mr. LeMahieu:
>If your friend is half the genius I think he is, then he's probably using
>a Tandy MMPC Model 10 computer.
>Your friend is probably also having trouble trying to get Linux and DOS
>to agree on the specifics of his Western Digital 1.2 GM hard drive as well
>since DOS can 'see' all 2484 cylinders thanks to Ontrack Disk Manager and
>Linux can't.  But that may be a seperate problem...
>Best of luck to you and your awesome friend,
>Mark

Which didn't answer his question.  BIOS 32 extensions are only required for
PCI, I believe.  My 486's run Linux fine, even though I get this message until
I rebuild the kernel to remove PCI support.
tk

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by Carl Hans » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

>    Hello, A friend of mine is trying to put Linux on a Tandy
>    486 machine, made before 1994 (sorry about the vagueness,
>    but I'm hoping I can still get some general info!)  He's
>    using the Slackware CD-ROM that came out in Dec 1995, I
>    believe.  When booting from any of the boot disks made
>    from this release, he sees an error message something
>    like:

>    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on
>    them. Sorry.

I believe it means you are probably using an IDE drive.  The BIOS extension
searched for is to support SCSI.  No SCSI support; no BIOS 32 extension
found..  Or so I'm told.

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by charles co » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:: writes:

: >
: >
: >    Hello, A friend of mine is trying to put Linux on a Tandy
: >    486 machine, made before 1994 (sorry about the vagueness,
: >    but I'm hoping I can still get some general info!)  He's
: >    using the Slackware CD-ROM that came out in Dec 1995, I
: >    believe.  When booting from any of the boot disks made
: >    from this release, he sees an error message something
: >    like:
: >
: >    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on
: >    them. Sorry.

: I believe it means you are probably using an IDE drive.  The BIOS extension
: searched for is to support SCSI.  No SCSI support; no BIOS 32 extension
: found..  Or so I'm told.

Actually, it may not mean that at all. I am trying to install slack 3.0
on a compaq with an eisa 2740, and it is giving me the same NO BIOS
32 error, then it kernel panics.  this system has only scsi devices.
What a pain...

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by William Safl » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:|> : writes:

|> : >
|> : >
|> : >    Hello, A friend of mine is trying to put Linux on a Tandy
|> : >    486 machine, made before 1994 (sorry about the vagueness,
|> : >    but I'm hoping I can still get some general info!)  He's
|> : >    using the Slackware CD-ROM that came out in Dec 1995, I
|> : >    believe.  When booting from any of the boot disks made
|> : >    from this release, he sees an error message something
|> : >    like:
|> : >
|> : >    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on
|> : >    them. Sorry.
|>
|> : I believe it means you are probably using an IDE drive.  The BIOS extension
|> : searched for is to support SCSI.  No SCSI support; no BIOS 32 extension
|> : found..  Or so I'm told.
|>

|> Actually, it may not mean that at all. I am trying to install slack 3.0
|> on a compaq with an eisa 2740, and it is giving me the same NO BIOS
|> 32 error, then it kernel panics.  this system has only scsi devices.
|> What a pain...

Actually, it's PCI support that is causing this message.  If you don't have
PCI bus but use a precompiled kernel that has support for PCI, you'll get this
message.  Try recompiling your kernel to only support your hardware.

William

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by Sean Dougher » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>|> : >    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on
>|> : >    them. Sorry.
>|> : I believe it means you are probably using an IDE drive.  The BIOS extension
>|> : searched for is to support SCSI.  No SCSI support; no BIOS 32 extension
>|> : found..  Or so I'm told.
>|> Actually, it may not mean that at all. I am trying to install slack 3.0
>|> on a compaq with an eisa 2740, and it is giving me the same NO BIOS
>|> 32 error, then it kernel panics.  this system has only scsi devices.
>|> What a pain...
>Actually, it's PCI support that is causing this message.  If you don't have
>PCI bus but use a precompiled kernel that has support for PCI, you'll get this
>message.  Try recompiling your kernel to only support your hardware.

Actually not even that. Compaqs move their PCI extensions into odd places
on bootup. There is a SoftPaq SYS driver that fixes this with something
called MOVEPCI. They say it's necessary for only Novel products, but
hogwash. I don't remember the exact number of the SoftPaq, but look
around at http://www.compaq.com/, go to the US stuff, click on
downloadables, and one of those menus leads to the patch. Use your
browser to search for the words PCI or Novell on the pages. Well hidden,
eh? The SCSI HOWTO mentions this, incidentally.

This patch also requires you to use LOADLIN via DOS for all bootups in
order to use SCSI. I've complained to Compaq to make a ROM upgrade for
this, but, alas. Until then, Compaq users are just a little stuck
having to work through DOS a little to get to Linux (but with a bootmenu
it's painless enough). Bootdisks will *never* work to get at the SCSI
drives, though. I'm going to prepare an emergency UMSDOS setup since
that's the only way I could figure to get at my drives in the event of a
bad problem arising.

Good luck!
--
 ____ ___  _  __    ___ ___ _ _ ___ _ _ ___ _________ _   _

_\ \ | _|| | | | | | | | | | | | | |   | _|| | / | |  \ ' /    finger for PGP
____)|___|_|_|_|_| |__/|___|___|___|_|_|___|_|_| |_|   |_|       and homepage

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by lemah.. » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> : >    Hello, A friend of mine is trying to put Linux on a Tandy
> : >    486 machine, made before 1994 (sorry about the vagueness,
> : >    but I'm hoping I can still get some general info!)  He's
> : >    using the Slackware CD-ROM that came out in Dec 1995, I
> : >    believe.  When booting from any of the boot disks made
> : >    from this release, he sees an error message something
> : >    like:
> : >
> : >    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on
> : >    them. Sorry.

I was the one who mailed the above message.  The most common
response I got was "ignore the error, and recompile the
kernel without PCI support if you want to get rid of the message."

I was also told to deal with the large disk that BIOS doesn't
recognize by

   1) Partioning the disk with Linux's fdisk only
   2) Making a small (5Mbyte) partition at the front of the
      disk and put /boot there, so the small-disk-only BIOS
      can see Linux at boot time.  The rest of the disk
      is partitioned as usual (for DOS, the main Linux partition,
      and swap space).  I assume this info is also in the
      large disk HOWTO.

We did this, and everything worked fine, Linux is up and running.

We were never able to get the CD-ROM recognized, so we copied
the entire Slackware CR-ROM to DOS space, and then installed
from there.  We can now worry about getting the CD-ROM
recognized at a leisurely pace, by recompiling kernels, etc.

Thanks for the help,

Paul

                            Paul LeMahieu

http://paradise.caltech.edu/~lemahieu              818-395-3012 (work)

no BIOS 32 extensions

Post by nkoo.. » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> : >    No BIOS 32 extensions found.  This release depends on
> : >    them. Sorry.

> : I believe it means you are probably using an IDE drive.  The BIOS extension
> : searched for is to support SCSI.  No SCSI support; no BIOS 32 extension
> : found..  Or so I'm told.

> Actually, it may not mean that at all. I am trying to install slack 3.0
> on a compaq with an eisa 2740, and it is giving me the same NO BIOS
> 32 error, then it kernel panics.  this system has only scsi devices.
> What a pain...

The "No BIOS 32..." message only applies to PCI (or maybe PCIMCA) busses.  If
you don't have that kind of bus then ignore the message.  If you do have that
kind of bus... somebody else please answer ;)

Neil.

1. BIOS-32 extensions

When I boot up, I get a message that says. "No BIOS-32 extenstion
present. Sorry, this release still depends on it."  Does this mean that
the system is only running at 16 bits?  I have a Cyrix 486-dx2/66 chip
and a award BIOS.  If this is a problem, is there any way to change it?

2. HELP : Solaris 8 upgrade from 2.6

3. No Bios 32 Extensions Present

4. what is .z extension?

5. No BIOS 32 bit extensions present

6. IP routing with masquerading

7. No Bios 32 extensions present

8. Win 95 X client?

9. No 32-bit BIOS extensions?

10. 32-bit BIOS extensions?

11. Bios 32 extensions not present...yadah yadah

12. Dosemu 32-bit interrupt extension ?

13. 32 meg LINUX system bios settings