Suse 8.0 Update / XFree86 Conflict?

Post by Renegad » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:14:01

Thanks in advance for any help (and yes, I've spent hours doing Google and
Suse searches for answers).

I have a Suse 8.0 installation on a laptop that has an ATI Radeon 9000 card
in it.  In the interest of trying to get supporting drivers for the card, I
installed XFree86 4.3.

Two days later, before even attempting to configure the card, I performed an
online OS update via YOU.  The update appears to have gone fine, but now I
can't start X Windows at all.  I'm pretty sure I need to reinstall a
different set of binaries for XFree86 (I previously installed the glibc22
version).

I've come to this via the error messages I'm seeing which include:

"module ABI minor version (6) is newer than the server's version (5)"...

"Unload Module:  bitmap"...

"Module pcidata: vendor="The Free86 Project" compiled for 4.3.0, module
version 1.0.0 ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version .6"

"Fatal Server Error: Unable to load required base modules"

My problem is I'm not a Linux expert by any stretch.  Am I on the right
track with my assumption that I need to reinstall the XFree86 binaries (a
different version)?  If so, how do I obtain them without a browser I can
access?  Is there a text-based browser that I can run?

If I have to do all this via ftp, then I'm going to get myself in trouble I
think.

Thanks ...

Suse 8.0 Update / XFree86 Conflict?

Post by Neal P. Murph » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:01:32

Renegade passionately intoned:

Quote:> ...
> I have a Suse 8.0 installation on a laptop that has an ATI Radeon 9000
> card
> in it.  In the interest of trying to get supporting drivers for the card,
> I installed XFree86 4.3.

> Two days later, before even attempting to configure the card, I performed
> an
> online OS update via YOU.  The update appears to have gone fine, but now I
> can't start X Windows at all.  I'm pretty sure I need to reinstall a
> different set of binaries for XFree86 (I previously installed the glibc22
> version).
> My problem is I'm not a Linux expert by any stretch.  Am I on the right
> track with my assumption that I need to reinstall the XFree86 binaries (a
> different version)?  If so, how do I obtain them without a browser I can
> access?  Is there a text-based browser that I can run?

> If I have to do all this via ftp, then I'm going to get myself in trouble
> I think.

lynx is a text-based browser. You can use it to find the locations of the
files you want, end even to DL them. As an alternative, if you already know
the URLs, you can use wget to fetch them.

Fest3er

Post by mjt » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:47:07

> Thanks in advance for any help (and yes, I've spent hours doing Google and
> Suse searches for answers).

... please stop multi-posting