Question Printing Linux To Linux

Post by Joseph S. Whit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi All,

At home I have a small ethernet network of 2 machines. I'm trying to
print from my Mandrake 7.1 workstation to my Redhat 5.2 server. My Epson
500 printer is connected to the server. I can print fine from the
server, but I can not print from the workstation. Below is the error I
get using
DrakeConfig on my workstation to try and print a test page to the
server.

--Test page(s) have been sent to the printer daemon.
--This may take a little time before printer start.
--Printing status:
--Lima: waiting for queue to be enabled on sierra
--Sierra: lpd: lp: Your host does not have line printer access

--Does it work properly?

Also, can someone explain what the syntax should look like in the
hosts.lpd or hosts.equiv files. Do I need those files? If so which one?

Printcap file from workstation.
##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE TEXT NAxNA letter {} TextPrinter Default 1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=sierra:\
        :rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Thank You

Joe
--
      Joseph S. White

http://www.nmia.com/~jwhite

Question Printing Linux To Linux

Post by Joseph S. Whit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi David,

Still cannot get this to work. Below is the 'printcap' on the
workstation as Redhat printtool creates it. I can add the server entry
like:

:rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\sierra

I've tried to print a test page after changing it manually, no luck. Is
that syntax correct?

The next time I try to edit printcap with printtool it will get rid of
the 'sierra' entry and again it will look like the entry below.

What does the error "Sierra: lpd: lp: Your host does not have line
printer access" mean? I get that error when trying to print with
Mandrake 'PrintDrake'

How hard should this be )-:

printcap
#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are
doing!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict
format!
#
# This file can be edited with printerdrake or printtool.
#

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE uniprint NAxNA letter {} U_EpsonStylusColor stc_h
1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=sierra:\
        :rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Thanks

 Joseph S. White

http://www.nmia.com/~jwhite

OLD MESSAGE BELOW.

--

Question Printing Linux To Linux

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>At home I have a small ethernet network of 2 machines. I'm trying to
>print from my Mandrake 7.1 workstation to my Redhat 5.2 server. My Epson
>500 printer is connected to the server. I can print fine from the
>server, but I can not print from the workstation. Below is the error I
>get using
>DrakeConfig on my workstation to try and print a test page to the
>server.

>--Test page(s) have been sent to the printer daemon.
>--This may take a little time before printer start.
>--Printing status:
>--Lima: waiting for queue to be enabled on sierra
>--Sierra: lpd: lp: Your host does not have line printer access

>--Does it work properly?

>Also, can someone explain what the syntax should look like in the
>hosts.lpd or hosts.equiv files. Do I need those files? If so which one?

It would be nice if the Printing-HOWTO would mention this.  What worked
for me was putting a simple list of hostnames in /etc/hosts.lpd.  It is
better to use this than hosts.equiv since that could give other access:

localhost
sierra
workstation

(assuming these are defined in /etc/hosts or DNS)

Quote:>Printcap file from workstation.

Post by Lew Pitche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi David,

> Still cannot get this to work. Below is the 'printcap' on the
> workstation as Redhat printtool creates it. I can add the server entry
> like:

> :rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\sierra

> I've tried to print a test page after changing it manually, no luck. Is
> that syntax correct?

> The next time I try to edit printcap with printtool it will get rid of
> the 'sierra' entry and again it will look like the entry below.

> What does the error "Sierra: lpd: lp: Your host does not have line
> printer access" mean? I get that error when trying to print with
> Mandrake 'PrintDrake'

> How hard should this be )-:

> printcap
> #
> # Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are
> doing!
> # Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
> # Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict
> format!
> #
> # This file can be edited with printerdrake or printtool.
> #

> ##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE uniprint NAxNA letter {} U_EpsonStylusColor stc_h
> 1
> lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=sierra:\
>         :rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Nope.

1) Your rp should be the printer name on sierra, not sierra's print
queue name
2) networked printers cant use input filters

Your printcap should look like:

 lp:\
         :lp=/dev/null:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
         :mx#0:\
         :rm=sierra:\
         :rp=lp:\
         :sh:

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

1. Linux print client with *Linux* print server

I'm having a similar problem with a Linux print client and a
Linux print server---my /etc/printcap on the client is set up
properly (e.g.:

lp:lp=:rm=remote.prnt.svr.dom:lp=rp  )

and the hosts.lpd file is complete (I set up both the client
and server with all relevant IPs and domains, using the
standard hosts file format (it shouldn't be the hosts.equiv
format, should it?)).  And, yet, I still get the following:

remote.prnt.svr.dom: usr/sbin/lpd: lp: Your host does not have
line printer access

Thanks in advance!

--
 John Chamberlain * The Integrity Center Inc. * Dallas, Texas
                (214) 484-6140 * (800) 456-1811

2. beat to death, but another sound question

3. FYI: Tiny Linux : Linux for small foot print systems : Minimal Linux,

4. unresolved symbols-PCMCIA NE2000

5. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.questions, comp.os.linux.misc

6. Kernel panic after tinkering with GRUB.

7. Linux printing questions

8. How do I locate /windows/profiles accross a network?

9. remote printing question + problems with the Linux archives

10. Linux print question

11. Linux printing question...

12. linux printing question...