smail won't deliver my mail

Post by David Houlde » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

First of all let me say that I am very new to Linux so if this is in an
faq or seems a stupid question please forgive me.
I have just installed smail 3.1.29 on my Slackware system. I am testing it
by just using mail to send to local users. I can mail to root with no
problems from every other user. However, if I try to mail to any user
other than root it fails and the message gets sent to postmaster. The error
shown is "Xfail: <djh> reason: (ERR133) transport local: failed to open
output file: Permission denied." It seems to be failing when writing to
the mailbox in /var/spool/mail. This directory is owned by root, group
mail and is rwx to both of these. It is r-x to others. I can get round the
problem by making the directory rwx to everyone but is this the right
thing to do. All users except root are in group users. I tried putting
them in group mail as well but this did not help.
Can someone help please.
Many thanks
Dave.

1. /usr/bin/mail won't deliver mail locally!

I'm running a FreeBSD 2.2.6 system that's giving me fits.

I have a user on the system whose userid is 'jones'.

If I enter '/usr/bin/mail jones', I can enter a subject, body,
and then send the message.  However nothing ever arrives in
/var/mail for jones.  I get no error messages, the postmaster
gets no error messages.  I've triple-checked the permissions
and owners on all the directories and executables I can think
of, and I've compared them with another 2.2.6 system that
works as it should.  The difference between the two systems
is the version of Sendmail - the non-functioning system has
Sendmail 8.9 on it.

BTW, if I run '/usr/libexec/mail.local jones', at least a
minimal message appears for jones in /var/mail (there are
minimal headers, etc in it).

I'm at wits end on this one.  Anyone have a clue what I've
 messed up?

Arlen

2. float.h

3. SMAIL problem: Doesn't deliver mail-forward problem.

4. samba

5. MMDF won't deliver inbound mail

6. Multiple SCSI controller cards

7. Help, smail wont deliver mail!

8. checking for serial devices.

9. Mail delivered by sender gets "failure to deliver"

10. Sendmail won't deliver to file

11. Big attachments in mails delivered via isp's smtp server

12. fetches mails but don't delivers

13. Can't deliver mail to myself..