RedHat upgrade top Redhat v.4.0 help- please??

RedHat upgrade top Redhat v.4.0 help- please??

Post by da.. » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I installed Caldera which came with kernel version 1.2.13.  I just acquired
RedHat's newest CD labeled version 4.0 which has a kernel of 2.??.  I would like
to upgrade.

Has anyone upgrade from kernel 1.2.13 to the 2.?? series kernel that comes
on the RedHat CDROM?  Anyone who originally installed from Caldera?

Any help would be much appreciated.  I have scoured the Caldera archives
and ftp site and am finding nothing that talks about this tho Caldera tech support
said they are having success with this.  But I can find nothing to help me
upgrade, and I cannot get into RedHat's site this eve to see if I can just
upgrade on their CDROM.  I have looked all over their CDROM and find no README
files to even tell me how to upgrade.

Help anyone?

tx if anyone can comment, david

Post by Duane Mor » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I installed Caldera which came with kernel version 1.2.13.  I just acquired
>RedHat's newest CD labeled version 4.0 which has a kernel of 2.??.  I would like
>to upgrade.

This is exactly what I tried to do the other day.  See my large number
of posts on reconfiguring everything in sight after I trashed it.

Quote:>Has anyone upgrade from kernel 1.2.13 to the 2.?? series kernel that comes
>on the RedHat CDROM?  Anyone who originally installed from Caldera?

According to the docs it should be easy, and there is an upgrade path.
After you've started up linux from the bootdisk/cdrom, you're given
the option of installing fresh or upgrading.  I was unable to upgrade
properly, and kept receiving various errors about failure to install a
number of packages, missing RPMs, corrupted archives, etc...

Since I could never get to the point where I re-installed Lilo to take
advantage of the new kernel, I ended up reinstalling Caldera which
unfortunately deleted everything in sight, including my /home
partition!  It didn't even warn me it was going to do that!

After Caldera trashed everything I had anyway, I was safe to install
Redhat from scratch, and then it worked.

Something to watch out for - I have no idea how/why it's doing this,
but Linux seems to boot to the *CD* if it's left in the drive.  This
screwed me up numerous times, because I've normally got a dual
DOS/Linux boot set up, and regularly I would be told just Linux, which
would then boot me into the Redhat installation program.  I figured
out that by taking the cd out when I rebooted, I got the right lilo,
which let me go into DOS or into regular useable linux.

(Luckily, the only thing I really do on the linux side is develop web
pages, and those all exist on a different web server so they're safe!)

Duane

http://www.tiac.net/users/dmorin/
==== "Now I will believe that there are unicorns..." ===

1. help upgrading from redhat 2.1 to redhat 3.0.3

        Hello.

        I was wondering how I go about upgrading my redhat 2.1 to
redhat 3.0.3.  When I try to run the upgrade script it keeps giving me
an exec error.  Also, I have tried upgrade just my rpm program but the
version I am using is 1.4.6 and it only supports rpm 1 packages.  But
it seems that all the packages are done in rpm 2 format.  So It seems
that I am unable to upgrade things.  could someone suggest how I go
about fixing things.
        Do I have to download all the packages from a redhat archive
site and then upgrade or can it be done via ftp.  So if someone could
outline how to upgrade I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Price
Michigan State University

2. AIT tape drives: Experiences?

3. Help: Upgrade from Redhat 7.1 to Redhat 7.2 results internet problem

4. Wang Image File Format

5. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

6. problem with yaboot/ybin on iBook

7. Please help: Dual boot NT 4.0 & RedHat 5.0

8. Networking Linux and DOS machines

9. Redhat 4.0 Compiling kernel, more info - HELP please

10. Redhat 4.0 - Redbaron error (segmentation fault, core dumped) please help!

11. RedHat 4.0/XWindows help please!!!

12. Compiling kernel in RedHat 4.0 - worked and now doesn't HELP Please

13. Cannot install RedHat 4.0 HELP.... Please