Linux Universe kernel compilation?

Post by Edric Ell » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello.
I am having problems compiling Linux 1.2.0 on my pc, after installing
Linux Universe. My computer is this:
Dell Dimension P90 w/ 8MB RAM, E-IDE ATAPI 4x CD, not connected to
anything else (in case this matters).
I managed to compile 1.2.1, but only my omitting to ``make config'',
which isn't really very helpful. After hearing about problems with
1.2.1, I unpacked linux-1.2.0, did ``make config'', choosing
a)almost no network support (except printing)
b)no SCSI
c)PC-speaker sound
d)most other stuff left unchanged
then, when doing ``make dep'', i got a few warnings about
kernel/kysms.c which i foolishly ignored, because when i tried a
``make zImage'', it gave up after not very long, the errors being
caused by ksyms.c with messages like ``register_net_devices not
defined'' or ``not constant'', or stuff like that.
What do i need to do to get the thing to compile? At the moment i can
live with the kernel with no sound support, but i am getting a GUS max
soon, and would like to be able to use it under Linux.

Thanks,

Edric.

"I've got the devil in my *, telling me what to do...
 ... and I'm all ears" -- AC/DC.

Post by Daniel J. Mash » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> Hello.
> I am having problems compiling Linux 1.2.0 on my pc, after installing
> Linux Universe. My computer is this:
> Dell Dimension P90 w/ 8MB RAM, E-IDE ATAPI 4x CD, not connected to
> anything else (in case this matters).

Someone posted instructions on how to compile 1.2.1 using the Linux Universe
CD. I tried it but could not run on the new kernel although I had no
compilation errors. You may try to follow his method since it worked for him.
He includes a "make config". Also remember to keep the old vmlinuz so you can
vmluniz.old. Now that the new one gives me problems I just edited the boot

reinstall. Sorry I hope this helps a little bit. See the next post about
Linux Universe. The authors of the book have a useless website about the
product.
--
/************************************************************************/

Post by YooChulChu » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I managed to compile 1.2.1, but only my omitting to ``make config'',
: which isn't really very helpful. After hearing about problems with
: 1.2.1, I unpacked linux-1.2.0, did ``make config'', choosing
: a)almost no network support (except printing)
: b)no SCSI
: c)PC-speaker sound
: d)most other stuff left unchanged
: then, when doing ``make dep'', i got a few warnings about
: kernel/kysms.c which i foolishly ignored, because when i tried a
: ``make zImage'', it gave up after not very long, the errors being
: caused by ksyms.c with messages like ``register_net_devices not
: defined'' or ``not constant'', or stuff like that.
: What do i need to do to get the thing to compile? At the moment i can
: live with the kernel with no sound support, but i am getting a GUS max
: soon, and would like to be able to use it under Linux.

Try compiling with TCP/IP support (you'll have to say yes to networking
support for this). I have never managed to compile it without TCP/IP
support (though I have no idea why). You'll need it for X Windows anyways.

--

        Seoul National University, Korea
        School of Electrical Engineering        *)

Linux Universe kernel compilation?

Post by Daniel J. Mash » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Thanks to Rainer for the help on the installation of 1.2.1 kernel for
Linux Universe. I finally installed it but now I have a problem with
dip. It connects fine but then 20-30 seconds latter come with an error
message "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device", from then I cannot telnet or
use any slip programs.

Using the same dip program with 1.2.0 I do not get these problems.
So now I am back to 1.2.0.  I tried compiling 1.2.11 and could not run
any program, they all came back with a segmentation fault.  Am I stucck
with Linux Universe?

--
/************************************************************************/

Linux Universe kernel compilation?

Post by Gilbert Ramirez Jr » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks to Rainer for the help on the installation of 1.2.1 kernel for
> Linux Universe. I finally installed it but now I have a problem with
> dip. It connects fine but then 20-30 seconds latter come with an error
> message "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device", from then I cannot telnet or
> use any slip programs.

> Using the same dip program with 1.2.0 I do not get these problems.
> So now I am back to 1.2.0.  I tried compiling 1.2.11 and could not run
> any program, they all came back with a segmentation fault.  Am I stucck
> with Linux Universe?

Likewise with 1.2.11 -- my programs die on signal 11.

When I boot with my new 1.2.1 kernel (Linux Universe), I get messages
about obsolete routing requests.  One of the FAQs says that that's
because I have an older route program.  I guess I need to change that.
After booting, Internet services don't work.  I can't even use
`documentation', because that depends on http.

When I do:   netstat -rn

I don't have a loopback device!
I have to type:

route add -host 127.0.0.1

Linux then complains about obsolete routing requests, but a `netstat -rn'
shows that I do now have a loopback device.  I can use `documentation'
and `dip' with now problem after that.

--gilbert

------------------------------

1. Linux Universe - Kernel compilation

Hi,

There were some articles regarding kernel compilation for Linux Universe
in this group recently.

This subject ist not dealt very well with in the book.

The following steps should be sufficient to build a personal 1.2.1-Kernel.
This version of the kernel has been running on my system for 26 days now,
so it should be fairly stable.
I want to try to build a Linux-1.2.11-Kernel containing the Universe patches
within the next days, and I will post the results.

So here is what to do for 1.2.1:

- install Linux Universe
- login as root
- 'distinstall -p base' (install the package base)
- 'distinstall -p gcc-i486-unknown-linux'
  (install package gcc-i486-unknown-linux, this is necessary, because the
   kernel could not be compiled as ELF, when Linux Universe was put together.)
- 'cd /usr'
- 'distinstall src'
- 'cd src'
- 'distinstall linux-1.2.1.tar.gz' (this file contains Linux-1.2.1 with the
                                    patches for Linux Universe)
- 'rm linux'
- 'rm linux-1.2.1'
- 'tar xzvf linux-1.2.1.tar.gz'
- 'ln -s linux-1.2.1 linux'
- 'cd linux'
- (set new PATH)
  - (Bash, default)
  - 'export PATH=/usr/pkg/gcc-i486-unknown-linux/i486-unknown-linux/bin:$PATH'
  - (if you have changed your shell to tcsh)
  - 'setenv PATH /usr/pkg/gcc-i486-unknown-linux/i486-unknown-linux/bin:$PATH'
- 'rehash'
- 'make symlinks'
- 'make config' (make sure to include support for ELF and probably File Cache)
- 'make dep'
- 'make clean'
- 'make zImage'
- 'mv /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.old'
- 'mv arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz'
- 'shutdown -r now' (reboot your system)
- if you like your new kernel and don't plan to recompile it in the near
  future, you might want to 'distinstall -u -p gcc-i486-unknown-linux'
  (get rid of the package gcc-i486-unknown-linux)

I hope this will help some people.

Bye,
       Rainer

--
Rainer Maurer
Xlink PoP Heilbronn

2. System hangs at I11 ...

3. compiling kernel on linux universe

4. Diamond Stealth 64 Video & MAG MXP17F

5. Linux Universe (kernel 2.0)

6. SOLARIS INTERFACE?

7. Kernel upgrade broke kernel compilation

8. An appeal

9. Kernel 2.4.14 bug(let), and kernel compilation error

10. Universe II and Kernel

11. LINUX UNIVERSE -LINUX IN ELF FORMAT

12. Help on Linux Universe CD set please..To all you Linux GURUS out there

13. proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, add linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs