RH5.1 install and lance driver

Post by Alexandre Ferrieu » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have tried installing using FTP and SMB, but the installer does not find my
> AT1500 with autoprobe.  I give the module "io=0x320" and it loads the driver.
> On loading the driver, the link for that card on my hub goes out. I also
> tried installing/upgrading (from 5.0), but the same happens.  As soon as the
> lance driver is loaded, the link goes out.  I tried recompiling the kernel
> with different options (module/static), but no luck.

Roughly same here: 5.1 cannot see my PCnet, while 5.0 did perfectly
(with the lance driver).
RedHat support says it's a known problem . So why the f*ck didn't they
mention it anywhere (nor in the news, nor on errata pages) ??? They
advised me to wait for an updated suppl.img any day (week ? month ?)
now.

-Alex

Post by Jim Davi » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > I have tried installing using FTP and SMB, but the installer does not find my
> > AT1500 with autoprobe.  I give the module "io=0x320" and it loads the driver.
> > On loading the driver, the link for that card on my hub goes out. I also
> > tried installing/upgrading (from 5.0), but the same happens.  As soon as the
> > lance driver is loaded, the link goes out.  I tried recompiling the kernel
> > with different options (module/static), but no luck.

> Roughly same here: 5.1 cannot see my PCnet, while 5.0 did perfectly
> (with the lance driver).
> RedHat support says it's a known problem . So why the f*ck didn't they
> mention it anywhere (nor in the news, nor on errata pages) ??? They
> advised me to wait for an updated suppl.img any day (week ? month ?)
> now.

> -Alex

I had the same problem upgrading from 4.2 via NFS. Started the install,
upgraded the packages, rebooted -- no network. I finally got my machine
to work using linuxconf. Start linuxconf go under Config, Networking,
Client tasks, Basic host information, Adaptor 1 (sic). On the kernel
module line type lance (it's not available from the pick list). I also
entered the I/O port and Irq information just to make sure. I don't
recall whether I had to issue an ifconfig eth0 up or not. Seems like I
just rebooted and the card initialized. Hope this helps. -jd

Network Administrator
Pacific Environmental Services, Inc

Post by David Lern » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have tried installing using FTP and SMB, but the installer does not find my
> AT1500 with autoprobe.     I give the module "io=0x320" and it loads the driver.
> On loading the driver, the link for that card on my hub goes out. I also
> tried installing/upgrading (from 5.0), but the same happens.  As soon as the
> lance driver is loaded, the link goes out.  I tried recompiling the kernel
> with different options (module/static), but no luck.

> Any suggestions?

Give up on using the lance driver as a module. It never worked for me,
and the latest kernels do not even offer the option of a modular lance
driver. I'v never had a problem with the driver when it was built into
the kernel.

Dave