Slackware kernel with ELF, then remove elf, won't boot.

Slackware kernel with ELF, then remove elf, won't boot.

Post by David Kram » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have Slackware 3.0 (1.2.13).  I've been fine-tuning (playing) with
kernel builds because I will be putting together a 386 4MB system after
this one ( a 486-50 16MB).

I built a copy of the kernel with ELF at one point.  Now whenever I build
a kernel without ELF and boot off of it, it won't boot.  It gets up to the
initialzation of the TCP/IP stuff then I keep getting a scrolling message
about processes or children dying, with a number increasing each time.
I'm sorry I don't have the exact message, but the computer in question is
at work. If it would help I'll try to write it down, but it's scrolling
really fast at that point.

I'm assuming building the kernel with ELF once sets something up (makes
links, copies files, etc) that does not get undone by simply answering No
in make config.  Can anyone giv eme a clue?  The name of the game for me
right now is getting a smaller kernel, and ELF won't really carry it's
weight.

TIA

DDDD      David Kramer

DK KD
DDDD      "I keep pressing the ESCape key, but I'm still here!"