My boot disk says LI... nothing more.

Post by Kevin Mil » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install the Slackware distribution on an old 386sx with 8 megs
of RAM.

I made my bootdisk from net.i since it has a 3Com Etherlink II card in it and
I'll be accessing the Slackware CDROM via my 'main' Linux machine.  When I try
to boot, I see "LI" and then everything stops.  What does this mean?  Can this
old 386sx support Linux?

Thanks for any help.

Post by Sven Riede » Sun, 17 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: I made my bootdisk from net.i since it has a 3Com Etherlink II card in it and
: I'll be accessing the Slackware CDROM via my 'main' Linux machine.  When I try
: to boot, I see "LI" and then everything stops.  What does this mean?  Can this
: old 386sx support Linux?

Hi,
It looks like the boot-disk is using LILO. LILO in turn while it loads, is
looking for the informations about the bootable kernels/OS's it wrote in
the MBR or the Boot Sector, depending on the options used for LILO.
Obviously, since you are using the disk in a diffrent machine, LILO can't
find it's information and stops.(I had that prob some time ago...)
If you have access to a set up Linux machine, try making a boot disk there
without LILO, or -if it's possible- disable LILO on the boot disk.
Regs
Sven Riedel

--

/me likes cats, they taste almost like children....

Sven Riedel
Leibnizstr. 24/106                      Auf dem Aeckerchen 32
38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld              53343 Villip
05323-3605                              0228-326854

Post by Hocus Poc » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>: I made my bootdisk from net.i since it has a 3Com Etherlink II card in it and
>: I'll be accessing the Slackware CDROM via my 'main' Linux machine.  When I try
>: to boot, I see "LI" and then everything stops.  What does this mean?  Can this
>: old 386sx support Linux?

>Hi,
>It looks like the boot-disk is using LILO. LILO in turn while it loads, is
>looking for the informations about the bootable kernels/OS's it wrote in
>the MBR or the Boot Sector, depending on the options used for LILO.
>Obviously, since you are using the disk in a diffrent machine, LILO can't
>find it's information and stops.(I had that prob some time ago...)
>If you have access to a set up Linux machine, try making a boot disk there
>without LILO, or -if it's possible- disable LILO on the boot disk.

I had same situation before, and add 'linear' option to lilo.conf and
/sbin/lilo.

Hope this help.

--

Nerima, Tokyo JAPAN

History tends to exaggerate.
                -- Col. Green, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.4

My boot disk says LI... nothing more.

Post by Kevin Mil » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>It looks like the boot-disk is using LILO. LILO in turn while it loads, is
>looking for the informations about the bootable kernels/OS's it wrote in
>the MBR or the Boot Sector, depending on the options used for LILO.
>Obviously, since you are using the disk in a diffrent machine, LILO can't
>find it's information and stops.(I had that prob some time ago...)
>If you have access to a set up Linux machine, try making a boot disk there
>without LILO, or -if it's possible- disable LILO on the boot disk.

Let me clarify:  this is a Slackware bootdisk.  This machine doesn't have any
OS on it yet (other than a formatted hard drive).  So, what is 'LI' telling me
in this case?

Thanks.

Post by Chris Lem » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>: I made my bootdisk from net.i since it has a 3Com Etherlink II card in it and
>: I'll be accessing the Slackware CDROM via my 'main' Linux machine.  When I try
>: to boot, I see "LI" and then everything stops.  What does this mean?  Can this
>: old 386sx support Linux?
>Hi,
>It looks like the boot-disk is using LILO. LILO in turn while it loads, is
>looking for the informations about the bootable kernels/OS's it wrote in
>the MBR or the Boot Sector, depending on the options used for LILO.
>Obviously, since you are using the disk in a diffrent machine, LILO can't
>find it's information and stops.(I had that prob some time ago...)
>If you have access to a set up Linux machine, try making a boot disk there
>without LILO, or -if it's possible- disable LILO on the boot disk.

Not much of a solution, since the bootdisk images are there so you can
install Linux on a machine that doesn't HAVE Linux.

I believe that's just a problem with the CD-ROM 5.25" images...if you
can use the 1.44MB images, those allegedly work...also you can get new
images off of ftp.cdrom.com that will also work, I'm told...

        Practically Everywhere Else: Fred Smythe
 IRC Nick: FredSmyth  WWW:http://www.redshift.com/~clemon

1. Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

I replaced an AHA1542 card with an AHA2940UW card in a pc.

During boot, the pc loads the master boot record (MBR) from SCSI
disk 0, it in turn starts the Solaris boot process, which
then falls into auto configuration because Solaris can not
find bootable disk.

I suspect that Solaris places /devices/*isa* info into the
MBR and somehow I need to replace that info with /devices/*pci*
to recognize the new card.

I'll probably temporarily install both cards and connect
disk 0 to the AHA2940UW. That way, I bet Solaris will find /devices/*isa*
and become happy enough to continue the boot. Then a "b -r" should
install the necessary /devices/*pci*, after which, I should be able
to remove the AHA1542. One more "b -r" and the AHA1542 should be
history.

If you've fought this battle before your successful solution is
appreciated.

2. How to close after fdopen ?

3. LILO Hangs at boot time: LI then nothing

4. MicroSpeed 3 button mouse

5. Adaptec 1505: Web page says yes, but LINT says nothing?

6. Connection PPP between NT and Linux

7. says "LI" even with small /boot partition

8. How to accumlate stats from Apache thread app?

9. LI missing LO when boot "boot disk"

10. hard disk says 7200 rpm but sunos says 3600

11. Slackware boot disk. . .nothing happens!

12. Slackware 1.04 installation problems (bloader..LI and nothing)

13. LI and then nothing