Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by raptor250 » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:30:27

Any advice on the following would be appreciated.

I have tried 3 times to install RH8.0 from the download ISOs without
success.  The first 2 times the installation would stop when installing perl
saying something along the lines of "...this is most likely a bug, problem
could be corrupt file, damaged media, or hardware issue..."  After that I
selected to save the dump file to a disk (find attached), then the installer
reboots the machine.  The 3rd time I chose not to install anything that
required perl and it still failed when installing something else (I don't
remember what that was, by then it was close to 2 am and I was pretty
frustrated).  I checked the media and it was okay; I only checked disc 1,
but then again, the install never got the point of requesting the other CDs.
The error that got written to the dump file is below, your help is
appreciated.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 786, in handleRenderCallback
    self.currentWindow.renderCallback()
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py", line 149, in renderCallback
    self.intf.icw.nextClicked()
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 632, in nextClicked
    self.dispatch.gotoNext()
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 150, in gotoNext
    self.moveStep()
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 215, in moveStep
    rc = apply(func, self.bindArgs(args))
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 719, in doInstall
    problems = ts.run(0, ~rpm.RPMPROB_FILTER_DISKSPACE, cb.cb, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 283, in cb
    fn = self.method.getFilename(h, self.pkgTimer)
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/image.py", line 119, in getFilename
    f = open("/mnt/source/.discinfo")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/source/.discinfo'

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:47:37

> Any advice on the following would be appreciated.

> I have tried 3 times to install RH8.0 from the download ISOs without
> success.  The first 2 times the installation would stop when installing
> perl saying something along the lines of "...this is most likely a bug,
> problem
> could be corrupt file, damaged media, or hardware issue..."  After that I
> selected to save the dump file to a disk (find attached), then the
> installer
> reboots the machine.  The 3rd time I chose not to install anything that
> required perl and it still failed when installing something else (I don't
> remember what that was, by then it was close to 2 am and I was pretty
> frustrated).  I checked the media and it was okay; I only checked disc 1,
> but then again, the install never got the point of requesting the other
> CDs. The error that got written to the dump file is below, your help is
> appreciated.

Please provide some useful information. Are the CDs R/W or write-once? What
drive? Was the same drive used to write and read the CDs? How much memory
do you have? How much hard drive space? And so forth.

Quote:> I checked the media and it was okay;

What exactly did you do to "check the media"?

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by raptor250 » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 01:43:09

Quote:> Please provide some useful information. Are the CDs R/W or write-once?

What

Quote:> drive? Was the same drive used to write and read the CDs? How much memory
> do you have? How much hard drive space? And so forth.

I apologize for that. The CDs are CDRs that I created from the ISO images.
The drive that was used to create the CDs is the different then the one I am
reading them from (I created the CDRs at work and I am trying to install
linux at home -> don't see why this would be an issue since I have done this
in the past and it has worked). Below is my machine's specs:

CPU: Athalon 1700+ XP

Motherboard: Asus A7V266E -> integrated sound (has never worked, don't care
too much)

Memory: 512 Mb

Video: Winfast GForce 3 Ti 200 (128 Mb)

HDD1: IBM Deskstar 60Gb (master) -> WinXP

HDD2: IBM Deskstar 60Gb (slave) -> Trying to install RH8.0

Quote:> > I checked the media and it was okay;

> What exactly did you do to "check the media"?

When running the installation of RH8.0 it has the option to check the media
and I had the media checked by the install routine and it checked fine. I
only checked CD1 and it was okay, I didn't check the others, but the install
never got to request any of the others.

I hope this helps.

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 04:19:37

>> Please provide some useful information. Are the CDs R/W or write-once?
> What

>> drive? Was the same drive used to write and read the CDs? How much memory

>> do you have? How much hard drive space? And so forth.

> I apologize for that. The CDs are CDRs that I created from the ISO images.
> The drive that was used to create the CDs is the different then the one I
> am reading them from (I created the CDRs at work and I am trying to
> install linux at home -> don't see why this would be an issue since I have
> done this in the past and it has worked).

It is most certainly is an issue. Not all CD drives can read user-recorded
CDs. Is the CD that reads also capable of writing a CD? I ask this because
normally CDs capable of writing can also read user-created CDs, but not all
CD drives can read CD-Rs.

Quote:>> > I checked the media and it was okay;

>> What exactly did you do to "check the media"?

> When running the installation of RH8.0 it has the option to check the
> media and I had the media checked by the install routine and it checked
> fine. I only checked CD1 and it was okay, I didn't check the others, but
> the install never got to request any of the others.

Well, if RH's check was thorough, it should have read the entire CD at the
same time, in which case we wouldn't be having this conversation. So I am
not sure the check was enough to absolutely determine that the CD can be
read error-free.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by raptor250 » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 05:20:15

Quote:> It is most certainly is an issue. Not all CD drives can read user-recorded
> CDs. Is the CD that reads also capable of writing a CD? I ask this because
> normally CDs capable of writing can also read user-created CDs, but not
all
> CD drives can read CD-Rs.

This is good input.  I do have a burner but I was trying to install RH8.0
from the DVD drive.  I will try installing it from the burner instead and
see if that works.

Quote:> Well, if RH's check was thorough, it should have read the entire CD at the
> same time, in which case we wouldn't be having this conversation. So I am
> not sure the check was enough to absolutely determine that the CD can be
> read error-free.

Your point is valid, but I did think that RHs check was thourough because it
took at least a good 15 minutes to check the whole disk.  I know that may be
due to a slower drive, but both, my DVD and CD-RW are not slower than 24X.

I will try your first suggestion and I'll update this tomorrow.  Thanx for
your inputs and time.

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by mjt » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:26:57

> frustrated).  I checked the media and it was okay; I only checked disc 1,
> but then again, the install never got the point of requesting the other
> CDs.

... did you do a 'md5sum' check on the ISOs ??? are you sure
you have enough room on the partitions? do the filesystem need
to be checked for errors?

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by rlg.. » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:34:08

I got the problem too.

Seems it's an old problem as well.

I got around it by installing in text mode. At the beginning of the
install, after you've booted from the floppy, you're asked if you want to
install in text or gui mode. For gui hit enter. For text type: linux text.
You want linux text.

It's working for me at least.

Good Luck

>> It is most certainly is an issue. Not all CD drives can read
>> user-recorded CDs. Is the CD that reads also capable of writing a CD? I
>> ask this because normally CDs capable of writing can also read
>> user-created CDs, but not
> all
>> CD drives can read CD-Rs.

> This is good input.  I do have a burner but I was trying to install RH8.0
> from the DVD drive.  I will try installing it from the burner instead and
> see if that works.

>> Well, if RH's check was thorough, it should have read the entire CD at
>> the same time, in which case we wouldn't be having this conversation. So
>> I am not sure the check was enough to absolutely determine that the CD
>> can be read error-free.

> Your point is valid, but I did think that RHs check was thourough because
> it
> took at least a good 15 minutes to check the whole disk.  I know that may
> be due to a slower drive, but both, my DVD and CD-RW are not slower than
> 24X.

> I will try your first suggestion and I'll update this tomorrow.  Thanx for
> your inputs and time.

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by raptor250 » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 02:03:40

Paul,

I tried what you asked and I got the same failure at exactly the same place.
The installation goes through about 51 packages and then it stops with the
error I mentioned before.  I also tried installing RH7.3 and then upgrading
to 8.0 but RH7.3 also failed with a similar error but in another place.  The
RH7.3 installation did get quite a bit further than the 8.0 one, but the
error was the same "can't find some file, file may be corrupt, or bad
media..."

I did notice a difference, when RH8.0 fails and it shuts down the
intallation, one of the lines reads, "unmounting /tmp/source/" whereas in
RH7.3 the line reads, "unmounting /tmp/cdrom/"

Let me know if you (or anyone else) has further advice, in addition to the
one given of installing in text mode.

Thanx.

Quote:> > It is most certainly is an issue. Not all CD drives can read
user-recorded
> > CDs. Is the CD that reads also capable of writing a CD? I ask this
because
> > normally CDs capable of writing can also read user-created CDs, but not
> all
> > CD drives can read CD-Rs.

> This is good input.  I do have a burner but I was trying to install RH8.0
> from the DVD drive.  I will try installing it from the burner instead and
> see if that works.

> > Well, if RH's check was thorough, it should have read the entire CD at
the
> > same time, in which case we wouldn't be having this conversation. So I
am
> > not sure the check was enough to absolutely determine that the CD can be
> > read error-free.

> Your point is valid, but I did think that RHs check was thourough because
it
> took at least a good 15 minutes to check the whole disk.  I know that may
be
> due to a slower drive, but both, my DVD and CD-RW are not slower than 24X.

> I will try your first suggestion and I'll update this tomorrow.  Thanx for
> your inputs and time.

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by CrayzeeWul » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 03:04:07

> Any advice on the following would be appreciated.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
<snip snip>
>   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/image.py", line 119, in getFilename
>     f = open("/mnt/source/.discinfo")
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/source/.discinfo'

Hi Raptor2501,

Appears like it had trouble opening the .discinfo file. Can you mount the CD
on another machine and make sure that you can read the .discinfo file on
the CD without any problem.

The .discinfo file on the first CD should contain the following lines:

1031690066.345824
Psyche 8.0
i386
1
RedHat/base
RedHat/RPMS
RedHat/pixmaps

If the file exists and has the correct contents then:

(a) Do the installation process again.
(b) Wait till you get the error message.
(c) Switch to one of the virtual consoles when you get the above error
(using the usual Ctrl-Alt-F1 followed by Alt-F2 through Alt-F6) and see if
there are any other error messages related to read problems from the CDROM
on any of the virtual consoles.
(d) Report the error messages you see to the group.

Hopefully, we can pinpoint the problem once we look at those error messages
if there are any.

--
CrayzeeWulf

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by raptor250 » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 04:14:51

Quote:> ... did you do a 'md5sum' check on the ISOs ??? are you sure
> you have enough room on the partitions? do the filesystem need
> to be checked for errors?

Since I don't know what an md5sum check is I probably didn't do it.  The
only check I did perform on the frist install CD was the check that
automatically comes up when running the installation routine (don't know if
those are the same)

As for room on the partitions, this is what my partitions look like (I have
2 60 Gb drives, 1 is entirely for Linux):

- hdb1 - / -> 7.5 Gb
- hdb2 - Extended Partition
  -  hdb5 - /home -> 25 Gb
  -  hdb6 - /home2 -> 25 Gb
  -  swap -> ~1.6 Gb

Prior to partitioning the drive I had done a low level format on it, so it
was completely clean.  Can a drive still have errors after a low level
format?

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by mjt » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:30:15

>> ... did you do a 'md5sum' check on the ISOs ??? are you sure
>> you have enough room on the partitions? do the filesystem need
>> to be checked for errors?

> Since I don't know what an md5sum check is I probably didn't do it.  The
> only check I did perform on the frist install CD was the check that
> automatically comes up when running the installation routine (don't know
> if those are the same)

go here and search for the term "Downloading the ISO Images"
(or scroll down to it) and read those 6 paras, paying special
attention to paragraph 4 and on.

http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html

Quote:> As for room on the partitions, this is what my partitions look like (I
> have 2 60 Gb drives, 1 is entirely for Linux):

> - hdb1 - / -> 7.5 Gb
> - hdb2 - Extended Partition
>   -  hdb5 - /home -> 25 Gb
>   -  hdb6 - /home2 -> 25 Gb
>   -  swap -> ~1.6 Gb

> Prior to partitioning the drive I had done a low level format on it, so it
> was completely clean.  Can a drive still have errors after a low level
> format?

looks fine to me. when you say 'low level format', what tool did
you use for this?

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by Paul Lutu » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:39:32

> Paul,

> I tried what you asked and I got the same failure at exactly the same
> place.

Do you mean you used a CD drive capable of burning a CD? In that case, why
not do the download and burn at home? That way, the drive will be reading
its own disk.

Since there are two distributions involved, both acting the same way, this
seems to be a hardware issue.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by RGuy » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:08:39

I think you guys are after a red herring. Try installing in text mode.
It worked for me. RGuye

> > ... did you do a 'md5sum' check on the ISOs ??? are you sure
> > you have enough room on the partitions? do the filesystem need
> > to be checked for errors?

> Since I don't know what an md5sum check is I probably didn't do it.  The
> only check I did perform on the frist install CD was the check that
> automatically comes up when running the installation routine (don't know if
> those are the same)

> As for room on the partitions, this is what my partitions look like (I have
> 2 60 Gb drives, 1 is entirely for Linux):

> - hdb1 - / -> 7.5 Gb
> - hdb2 - Extended Partition
>   -  hdb5 - /home -> 25 Gb
>   -  hdb6 - /home2 -> 25 Gb
>   -  swap -> ~1.6 Gb

> Prior to partitioning the drive I had done a low level format on it, so it
> was completely clean.  Can a drive still have errors after a low level
> format?

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by raptor250 » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:28:32

Because I don't have high speed internet access, I only have a 56K modem.

> > Paul,

> > I tried what you asked and I got the same failure at exactly the same
> > place.

> Do you mean you used a CD drive capable of burning a CD? In that case, why
> not do the download and burn at home? That way, the drive will be reading
> its own disk.

> Since there are two distributions involved, both acting the same way, this
> seems to be a hardware issue.

> --
> Paul Lutus
> www.arachnoid.com

Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

Post by raptor250 » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 03:06:17

I tried that just last night and the install fails in the exact same place,
when installing perl.  It doesn't matter if I am using graphical mode or
text, or if I install from the DVD or from CD-RW.  Here is the exact error I
get:

/mnt/sysimage/var/tmp/perl-5.8.0-55.i386.rpm cannot be opened, .... the file
is missing, or bad package, or bad media..."  I hit OK to retry and it tells
me that there has been a fatal error and the computer will be rebooted, but
I am given the option to save the crash dump file and report the issue,
which I have.  The first lines of the crash dump file are as follows, the
rest (which I won't include here-too long) is the info on all the settings I
chose during the installation.

[...]

Thanx again everyone for you inputs and your time.

> I think you guys are after a red herring. Try installing in text mode.
> It worked for me. RGuye

Quote:> > > ... did you do a 'md5sum' check on the ISOs ??? are you sure
> > > you have enough room on the partitions? do the filesystem need
> > > to be checked for errors?

> > Since I don't know what an md5sum check is I probably didn't do it.  The
> > only check I did perform on the frist install CD was the check that
> > automatically comes up when running the installation routine (don't know
if
> > those are the same)

> > As for room on the partitions, this is what my partitions look like (I
have
> > 2 60 Gb drives, 1 is entirely for Linux):

> > - hdb1 - / -> 7.5 Gb
> > - hdb2 - Extended Partition
> >   -  hdb5 - /home -> 25 Gb
> >   -  hdb6 - /home2 -> 25 Gb
> >   -  swap -> ~1.6 Gb

> > Prior to partitioning the drive I had done a low level format on it, so
it
> > was completely clean.  Can a drive still have errors after a low level
> > format?

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. How to check password ?

3. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

4. Revolution 1.0 Cross platform IDE Launch

5. Help with boot loader install for Red Hat Linux 8.0

6. Schedtune Tuneable Parameter patch on O(1) 2.5.3pre5 J9

7. Help Installing Modem Under Red Hat Linux 8.0

8. Unable to boot - missing //usr/libexec

9. Red Hat 8.0 Help help help

10. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

11. Safe partition when installing Red Hat 8.0

12. Red Hat 7.3 and 8.0 won't install but SUSE 6.4 does.

13. Problems installing Red Hat Linux 8.0