2nd Controller EIDE - Large Dr

Post by Bill Min » Mon, 03 Jul 1995 04:00:00

OK, I'll finally yell for help.

Have a 3rd disk (854 MB Seagate) on secondary controller (GSI, Enhanced).
Disk is an extended DOS partition with first half a logical dirve. The
second half is not partitioned.

Run BootDisk with no parameters and then Rootdisk. When I fdisk /dev/hdc
or /hdc5, I get "Can't open /dev/..."

Did some research, i.e. I actually read FAQ's and install manuals.
Followed directions in MINI FAQ on Large EIDE drives, i.e. I did ramdisk
hd=1656,16,63 at the promt for the Bootdisk.

Now it thinks all my drives are 854 meg! Still doesn't see /hdc.

OK, so how do I get this to see my third drive. Hardware FAQ says it can
be done.

Also, is there a way to freeze the screen scroll during bootup so that I
can catch all my messages?

TIA!
New Befuddled User,

Bill :-)

[...]

[update !]

As far as I can tell, the boot disk sees all three drives but "turns off"
or ignores the second controller.

Message line before the root disk prompting says:

hda: hda1
hdb: hdb1 <hdb5 hdb6>
hdc: disabled multiple mode
hdc: hdc1 <hdb5>

Yet, when I run fdisk -l, it only reports hda1 and hdb1 !

I think I need to get rid of the "disabled multiple mode" some how?

Thanks again.
Bill :-)
[end update]

: TIA!
: New Befuddled User,

: Bill :-)

1. linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

Hi to All!
  I have a NEC PowerMatev75 w/32MB RAM, and 2 EIDE drives.  They used to be
on the same chain, but when I installed them in this machine I gave each
its own drive controller.  Linux fdisk doesn't see the second hdd, or I
don't know how to tell it the right address.  /dev/hda doesn't work, and
neither does /dev/hdb.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Doug Hayden

2. XFree86 and Radeon

3. 2nd EIDE controller on i430Tx

4. Completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support in 2.4?

5. EIDE as 2nd controller, 3rd drive need driver driver

6. Rewriting "From:" addresses

7. EIDE 2nd Controller, HD Detection CHS params.

8. How can I reduce the recle duration in Legato Networker

9. EIDE as 2nd controller with third driver

10. EIDE 2nd Controller, HD Detection CHS params.

11. Large EIDE drives and controllers Q!

12. How to Install Linux on 2nd EIDE given Existing Primary EIDE w/Win95?