?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

Post by ronald s cho » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

i recently upgraded from rh4.2 to rh5.2 and have since upgraded the
kernel to 2.2.1.  i have no loopback on bootup.  'ifconfig' returns
nothing.  netcfg (nettool ??) shows the loopback and my eth0 as
present but lo does not activate when i click 'activate'.

i've tried doing 'ifconfig lo up'; it creates the loopback but 'ping
localhost' gives errors (network unreachable, i think) and 'telnet
localhost' immediately closes the connection.  i tried also doing
'route add 127.0.0.1' but i get an SIOADD??? (don't remember exactly)
error.

i've found the ifcfg-lo in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, but i don't
know when this is called and by whom.

sheesh, in rh4.2, loopback was never an issue.  now, i can't get any
work done!  can someone give me some hints on how and when the
loopback device is created??  i have changed the config of the kernel
(enabled smp, sound, network card, etc) but i didn't see any config
options for the network loopback. (there is a loopback but it's used
for block devices; drives, etc, i believe.)

*many* thanks!

-ron

?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

Post by joh.. » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Just solved this myself in RedHat 5.2.

As root I just typed "ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1" then hit return and the
problem was solved.

Try this.

Cheers

John

Quote:> i recently upgraded from rh4.2 to rh5.2 and have since upgraded the

--
John

?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

Post by ronald s cho » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Just solved this myself in RedHat 5.2. As root I just typed
> "ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1" then hit return and the problem was solved.

hi.  thanks for the response. i have tried this, also, but i get the
same behavior as i described.  (i think "ifconfig lo up" is
equivalanet to stating the address.)

additionally, having to type this as root is not really a solution.
in rh4.2, i didn't have to type in anything.  it just happened on
bootup.  sure, i could add the ifconfig line to an rc file but again,
why would an "improved" version (rh5.2) require the user to hack a
file; not to mentioned they (rh) didn't tell you that you would need
to do this.  <shrug>  the problem has to deeper; like some config file
is not running to automatically create the loopback.

-ron

?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

Post by ronald s cho » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Just solved this myself in RedHat 5.2. As root I just typed
>"ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1" then hit return and the problem was solved.

well, i solved the problem.  i startup in runlevel 5 in order to make
X start automagically on bootup.  i discovered that /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
did not have a link to the network start script (/etc/init.d/network).

so i just needed to do:

    cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
    ln -s ../init.d/network S10network

btw, i noticed rc3.d/ did have this link to start the network. level 3
is the default startup runlevel (specified in /etc/inittab) for a
redhat install, hence why it would be in rc3.d.

after the above fix, all is as it should have been. i think this *MAY*
a redhat bug; they don't have this link in rc5.d.  <shrug>

-ron

?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

Post by David Kirkpatric » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

   Interesting I checked my system and the link was there.  I
usually boot into 3 but went to 5 to check lo and it was there.
I used to have an lo problem when I was first setting things up
but it went away - probably because I got my configuration setup
correctly.  Do you have an lo specification in the network
configuration?

--

1. FPC Setup "Free Pascal Compiler, I am at wit's end"

I wish to correctly setup my Free Pascal Compiler. The documentation refers
to a .ppc386.cfg file that sets the compiler options so that they do not
have to be typed every compile. I have tried everything to get it to run
from the file. I cannot even tell it it is reading the *&^* .cfg file or
not. Every thing works great if I specify the search paths on the command
line.

I am trying to join an Open Source team but I wan't my stuff to be right
before beginning.

BTW I am using bash.

I have even tried exporting the file paths in bash_profile this is not
working either.

Cliff

2. Squid howto

3. At wits end - The saga of one mans attempt to create a small LAN with Linux

4. Missing li command

5. PPP configuration problem - (I'm at my wit's end)

6. information on Solaris 2 packages

7. NIS problems (at wit's end)

8. icewm

9. Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

10. At wit's end with RealTek 8139c

11. Unstable ODT3 server... At wit's end

12. At wit's end...

13. Wit's end question -- files go to print spooler and are never printed