Error Signal 11 during setup

Post by Jose » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 17:46:52

Hi,
   I have a Windows 98, with 2 HDD IBM (18GB ) and Seagate (4.3GB).
The seagate has 3 partitions 2GB, 1.5GB, 670MB(Linux Swap). These are
SCSI HDD and the SCSI Card is Tekram DC-390F. Now When I try to
install Red Hat 6.0 on the 2GB during the "disk druid" phase of
installation the setup gives me a error signal 11 and quits. i.e the
phase when you select the partition to install Redhad.
     The HDD have been scanned with the help of Windows Scandisk and
Norton Disk Doctor, with a surface scan enabled. The result of the
scan was negative. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Error Signal 11 during setup

Post by Jayne Hege » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 21:49:20

I think an error signal 11 is something to do with memory.
have you added any memory which could be bad???

Jayne

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Ian Northeas » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 01:04:48

> I think an error signal 11 is something to do with memory.
> have you added any memory which could be bad???

Sig 11 means an attempt to access memory outside of the current address
space. Bad memory is indeed a common cause. Bad software is too, but
this is unlikely during an install of a respectable distro (RH6.0 is a
bit old, but it was OK IME). Overclocking is another - less common
nowadays because the CPUs are so fast anyway. Overheating due to a
faulty fan can do it too.

Regards, Ian

Post by Jose » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 03:55:23

> > I think an error signal 11 is something to do with memory.
> > have you added any memory which could be bad???

> Sig 11 means an attempt to access memory outside of the current address
> space. Bad memory is indeed a common cause. Bad software is too, but
> this is unlikely during an install of a respectable distro (RH6.0 is a
> bit old, but it was OK IME). Overclocking is another - less common
> nowadays because the CPUs are so fast anyway. Overheating due to a
> faulty fan can do it too.

> Regards, Ian

I have not overclocked my machine. It is PII-333 MHz with 192 MB RAM.
I have added new RAM (a module of 128 MB), making my complete memory
to 192 MB RAM.
    Is there any way I can Check for bad RAM?
Have A Nice Day

Error Signal 11 during setup

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 04:37:11

Quote:> > > I think an error signal 11 is something to do with memory.
> > > have you added any memory which could be bad???
> I have not overclocked my machine. It is PII-333 MHz with 192 MB RAM.
> I have added new RAM (a module of 128 MB), making my complete memory
> to 192 MB RAM.
>     Is there any way I can Check for bad RAM?

http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/

is pretty good. Take the time to complete the looong tests (unless you
already finds something with the short tests) as they find most ram
errors.

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] --------------------------------------
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign

Post by Robert Davie » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 04:17:45

>> > I think an error signal 11 is something to do with memory.
>> > have you added any memory which could be bad???
> I have not overclocked my machine. It is PII-333 MHz with 192 MB RAM.
> I have added new RAM (a module of 128 MB), making my complete memory
> to 192 MB RAM.
>     Is there any way I can Check for bad RAM?

Yes.

memtest86

Rob

Error Signal 11 during setup

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 14:57:33

[...]

Quote:>I have not overclocked my machine. It is PII-333 MHz with 192 MB RAM.
>I have added new RAM (a module of 128 MB), making my complete memory
>to 192 MB RAM.

That's probably the culprit. Take out one of the modules and
try again.

Michael

1. signal 11, signal 8 Error?

 Hi,
  I am trying to run a scientific application on a linux system with
a Celeron 300a processor machine with 256 MB RAM ( 2*128 Meg DIMMS)
I have two IDE hard disks and on IDE CDROM in this machine....

I am getting errors such as follows  ( on each and every attempt to
run the program)

Received signal 11 Unknown error 4294967295
Received signal 8 Unknown error 4294967295

 And I haven't  ever seen this error running the same
program suite  on other machines..

I have run this application ( Molpro) on other  unix machine... some
SGI machines and  another linux machine to be specific...  I have
never seen this message before... also I have run this same application
on this present linux machine once before and I didn't get messages
like this...

  So all that leads me to believe that it could be a hrdware problem
with my machine... I dimly remember something about sig 11 and memory
problems... could anybody throw some more light on it... specifically,
if a memory problem is suspected, what other tests I can run on
my hardware to confirm or deny the existence of a hardware problem.....

  BTW, I am not seeing a similar problem in running any other program...

     Please help...
    Chetan

--

2. Multiple httpd

3. Signal 11 @ same place during installation

4. Web Page interface for changing Unix NIS password

5. signal 11 during kernel compile -- will this solve it??

6. Linksys Network Starter Package

7. Signal 11 during install of RH 6.1

8. SCO binarys on a Linux box? if so how? :)

9. Signal 11 during kernel build/compile of ip_fragment.c

10. signal 11 during kernel compile -- will this solve it?

11. signal 11 during RH 5.0 FTP install

12. "signal 11" during install of RH7.1

13. Upgrade RH 4.2->5.0: signal 11 during gcompiles