Urgent!Deleting partitions from linux

Post by Christop » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:20:29

Hi!
I have SuSE 7.3 and WIN ME on my comp, but ME crashed and nothing works
anymore, except linux. Even recovery fails.
The partition seems to be defect. How can I format/delete/whatever it from
linux so that I can reinstall win?
TIA!!!
Christoph

Post by Douglas Mayn » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:25:21

> Hi!
> I have SuSE 7.3 and WIN ME on my comp, but ME crashed and nothing works
> anymore, except linux. Even recovery fails. The partition seems to be
> defect. How can I format/delete/whatever it from linux so that I can
> reinstall win?
> TIA!!!
> Christoph

This looks like a "sign" to stop using ME. Cross yourself as you say,
"good riddance!"

Begin by reclaiming the disc space for use by linux setup.

Go into fdisk and change that partition's type to linux (83):
        #fdisk /dev/hda
        partition number: x
        83

Then reformat the partition using the filesystem of your choice:

        # mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdax

If you must have ME, then your on your own.

-Douglas Mayne

Urgent!Deleting partitions from linux

Post by Uncurbe » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 02:12:54

Quote:> Hi!
> I have SuSE 7.3 and WIN ME on my comp, but ME crashed and nothing works
> anymore, except linux. Even recovery fails.
> The partition seems to be defect. How can I format/delete/whatever it from
> linux so that I can reinstall win?
> TIA!!!
> Christoph

Use a win bootdisk

Urgent!Deleting partitions from linux

Post by Christop » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:15:27

Thanks!
The win bootdisk failed too.
I had to reinstall linux and now I got my disk (nearly complete) back.
Well, I don't really need ME, but I have to run SAP, Lotus etc...
Does anyone know a nice tool like Partition Magic for linux?
And how can I format the WHOLE hd from linux?
Cheers,
Christoph

Post by Davi » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:48:38

> Thanks!
> The win bootdisk failed too.
> I had to reinstall linux and now I got my disk (nearly complete) back.
> Well, I don't really need ME, but I have to run SAP, Lotus etc...
> Does anyone know a nice tool like Partition Magic for linux?
> And how can I format the WHOLE hd from linux?

Why did you have to do a reinstall of Linux if windows is screwed up
not linux?
Just boot from a bootdisk or from the CD into rescue mode and run
lilo to update the MBR.
If you want to "wipe" the drive of all data and partitions and start
from scratch you can do it with the cammand below. If you just want
to wipe the windows partition then you can change the command below
to the correct partition so it does only the window partition.

!!!!WARNING!!!!
THIS WILL DELETE ALL PARTITIONS AND
WIPE THE DRIVE CLEAN!!!!

!!!!YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

To remove all partitions and wipe the drive clean.

  cat /dev/zero >/dev/hdX   # hdX = hda, hda1, etc ...

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0-beta Linux 2.4.20tbls i686 (GCC) 3.2.2

Post by Nick Rou » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 04:29:45

> Thanks!
> The win bootdisk failed too.
> I had to reinstall linux and now I got my disk (nearly complete) back.
> Well, I don't really need ME, but I have to run SAP, Lotus etc...
> Does anyone know a nice tool like Partition Magic for linux?
> And how can I format the WHOLE hd from linux?
> Cheers,
> Christoph

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted is handy for managing partitions

Lotus Notes runs nicely in wine

Nick
--
We'll pivot at warp 2 and bring all tubes to bear, Mr. Sulu!

1. Linux fdisk did not delete a "Linux native" partition.

I created a Linux native partition by using the Linux fdisk.
The partition was positioned in the middle of DOS partitions and
numbered as the last one (say, dev/hda12).
I typed in "d" and gave the number to delete this partition and
exited the fdisk by typing in "w". However, the partition table was
not updated. Even after rebooting, it kept reappeared.
If anyone out there had and resolved this disappointing problem,
I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Jaebum Lee

2. batch tool for generating a text file with Id3 and amplitude Infromation from an mp3

3. How to delete a linux partition without linux?

4. RTL8019/Ovislink

5. deleting a linux partition without linux

6. Is there a memory leak in the 2.4 kernel series?

7. Deleting linux partitions w/o a running linux?

8. ruptime, rwho problems

9. Transfering deleted partition space to another partition

10. maximum number of partitions ... deleting partitions after

11. ftp/urgent/urgent/urgent